Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fish and chips and dip posted:

The way I see it, if they do it in China it's ok (still gross) as it's part of their culture and it's not hurting anyone and it's not inherently rude. If they do it abroad in the US or Europe, then calling them out and shaming them for it is ok as they should respect the culture of the place they are at (as if lol).

I didn't call anyone out on it when I lived in China but you can't just say everything is a "part of your culture" as justification for it. Part of the culture is defensible when it's something they gave thought to and cultivated -- in that case even something unpalatable like bullfighting is still defensible because it's a genuine part of the culture. The way people eat in China sometimes however is not a part of their culture, it's not something they cultivated and considered. It's just a lacuna in thought, it's like just ripping rear end wherever you are because you're a moron and never thought to hold it in while you're in the elevator. It's not a part of Chinese culture to eat like a loving animal, it's one of the gaps in their culture that allows for it. Americans have huge gaps in their culture as well (use your loving inside voice on the bus at 6:30 am Curt, we're not in your daddy's loving cornfield right now) but it would be retarded to suggest that these gaps are anything other than negative space -- they're where thoughtless animal habit shines through the culture, not the culture itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There was some food noise in Taiwan but in general they were considerate when they ate. Thai people have the best overall table manners of anyone on earth.

It's the goddamn mainlanders every time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

I don't know man, I can't imagine table manners ever being able to be "the best" without at least 3 kinds of fork on the table.

Do three different brands of stamped sheetmetal forks count?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

Is this another "defending chewing with the mouth open as a culture thing" discussion? It's just ironic to me that only now they think "well, maybe we should shut down all the whorehouses in respect of the god king". I also love all the extra warnings about committing Lesè Majesté. But the funniest thing here is my friend getting hosed over on his vacation due to bad timing

I'll just say, gently caress monarchies and gently caress all cults of personality even more. Hopefully the new king is so lovely it brings everything down with him.

The chewing with your mouth open equivalent here is bitching that your bogan adventure fantasy might be slightly encumbered since the king died while you were in Thailand. No matter what your personal opinion is on the king or monarchs or whatever else you have to be world class howling oval office to breathe a breath of that in people's faces in Thailand right now. I lived in Thailand for around two years and never met a Thai person who didn't respect or even love the king and this is talking behind closed doors, person to person.

This is a huge, historic moment in Thailand's modern history and it would be amazing to be there for it.

Thai people are open and funny and the country people can even be gullible but when it comes to politics or understanding what is meant behind what is actually said they're very savvy. I find it unlikely that the king tricked them into their current opinion of him. By most accounts he seems to be a man who was placed in a position of considerable responsibility who took that responsibility completely seriously and worked his whole life to meet it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

Thai food is good but doesn't grab me and that's my main motivation to visit places.

What food "grabs you"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

That's because when the old bag finally bites it the Commonwealth peasants will be drinking their sorrow away. It's a proud tradition.

I hope they wear a shirt with her picture on it or something because otherwise no one will be able to tell they're in morning just from the continuous drinking alone.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9sGhNoSG3o

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Does mandarin even have a word for "shame" ??

I remember seeing a news story a while ago about Mainlander expats I think somewhere in Canada lining up for a church's food distribution program and they would then go around the corner, pick through it and throw anything they didn't think they could resell into the street, and then take the rest of it back to Chinatown and try to sell it on a corner. Of course several people went through the line more than once to get more free stuff to sell from these loving Suckers Just Giving poo poo Away For Nothing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I moved out of my Chinatown apartment I threw away fifteen or so big hefty bags of poo poo. Not all of it was poo poo as my general philosophy for moving is to not carry anything I would rather just rebuy, but still.

Between setting the bags out overnight and going to the subway in the morning all of the bags had been split open and sorted through with things like lovely old kitchen knives, old sheets and towels, stained kitchen Tupperware, all snapped up and put in someone's home.

When I lived in China there were junkmen that came around. The only thing of value I'd bought in China was a boombox to listen to music on and I debated flagging the junkman down and selling it to him because that was his job basically -- a pawnshop on a trike. I instead gave it to a retried geography teacher that had gone out of his way to make friends with me and who wasn't a lunatic.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 14, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fall Sick and Die posted:

It was probably in San Francisco, there are a ton of videos like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQdaDoqXsE

That was probably it, yeah.

Absolutely vile.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 14, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh, and I can't forget can collecting elderly lady that goes through my trash but was yelled at for popping a squat while doing so (number 2) so now I'm 99% sure she just shits in her pants by my estimate from walking behind her. This is in a more residential area of Brooklyn so I understand that it's difficult to find a public restroom and since making GBS threads all over the sidewalk in front of my neighbors home isn't cool, I guess blowing a hole through your pants is all you got.

I had a can lady too but she never did a loaf that I know of. Did have the padded thermopants though, so it's possible she was dookin and cannin all day every day

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

I remember this, or at least a similar story since it was melons/pumpkins of some kind. They cleared all of his fields and broke a lot of healthy vegetables for no reason. He lost all of his crops that year. LMAO China.

I used to work with a non-profit in Hawaii where we'd feed the homeless in the parks they liked to live/sleep/hang at. This was long before the days of Chinese tourists being a thing, but I imagine now that there are probably many of them waiting in line with the homeless to get a plate of food since it's there. We didn't have any rules about who could get food, but even the surfers wouldn't wait for food because they knew it was mainly for the actual homeless and drug-addicted who slept on the streets.

Meth heads eating soup is p funny to watch. They talk to it. There was this one chick having a total meltdown and the beach cops showed up and took her to the showers and put her in he cold water for a few minutes until she calmed down. Since it's an island, you learn who everyone is quickly and it's weird being out and seeing tons of homeless people you know on a first-name basis (and who can't remember your name because they're so wacked out). A lot of them died due to ODing, though the memory of some of them lives on in the early seasons of Dog the Bounty Hunter.

There was this one guy I thought was a real piece of poo poo and I just knew he was going to OD any day. He was fat as hell and would steal from local shops and only move when food trucks came in for free food. He was rude and foul and even the other homeless hated him, so he was always alone on this bench that he claimed as his bed because when he'd go to where the rest of them were camped he'd get into fist fights. Anyway, I was walking to work one day and I saw the usual ambulance loading a body into the back. I asked who it was and it was that dude. I thought about him the rest of the day because it was so weird he actually did it and died of a heart attack due to an over dose. He was one of those dudes that people would cross the street if he was on the same sidewalk because he was so offensive. I used to be like "drat, hope this dude goes soon because gently caress this guy." Then he did, and then I was like "Oh poo poo... this is weird."

I had a collection of drug addicts and homeless I'd treat (or take to the hospital for a sandwich because they were too drunk to stand and getting them a sandwich made them compliant and honestly we can afford to give the homeless a sandwich from the hospital when the hospital is getting a thousand dollar writeoff for doing literally nothing for them two to three times a week) in NYC. The worst one would poo poo on his wheelchair and sit in his poo poo and get really aggressive with everyone. During my time there he went from 1.5 legs to 1 leg to 0.75 legs. There was another huge dickhead that I actually liked because for the most part he was only aggressive when people wouldn't leave him the gently caress alone to do heroin and lay around in squalor. He od'd in a place where nobody found him until it was too late one day and the resus failed. Almost every medic in the area had given this guy narcan or a full workup at some time or another so it was kind of like a distant relative's death being announced at a big Thanksgiving dinner or something in the day or so after he passed.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Hahaha, this whole article reads like babby's first introduction to the superiority of 5000 years of Chinese culture. Also reads like something someone who visited China for a weekend would write.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/helenwang/2016/10/09/two-reasons-why-chinese-millennials-have-more-cash-to-burn/#25bec32118f5

I bolded all the dumb poo poo, wrong poo poo, and LOL poo poo. This is like a bad Writing 121 paper. It totally ignores the hundreds of millions of non-middle-class Millennial Chinese who live poo poo lives with poo poo money and rent tiny rooms or live in factory dorms.

Also ignores that many many Chinese kids are responsible for providing for their parent's retirement fund. What a deal!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is it still a mortgage if you owe a loan shark instead of a bank? Idk u b the judge

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky mouse posted:

Remember you telling this story like a year ago.

He would get bummed at the narcan saving his live/ killing his high so he kept finding more and more seculded hiding spots to do his shooting.

Every junky hates it when you first pop them out of bliss

Some of them have remarkable aplomb and just kind of apologize for troubling you

If I were them I'd be a real shitfuck about it

I was always really gentle with the narcan, just enough to wake them, IM, unless they were blue or just not breathing

Other medics would get an addict they didn't like and ram the full amp IV -- it's like an instant chemical withdrawal of unimaginable scale

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky mouse posted:

I thought narcan was just the iv form of suboxone and took care of the physicall withdraw symptoms. Im I mistaken?

Yes

If you give them 2 IV they bang awake about fifteen seconds later in cold sweats, shaking, racked with the real dope sickness

Suboxone has narcan in it but it's the part of suboxone that no one likes. There's nothing nice or therapeutic about narcan, apart from it being basically an antidote to opiate overdose / a life saver with few damaging side effects.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The thing about actual racism in America is that some of it is from minorities on other minorities and you get a discount on the national racometer for that because it's a part of their culture and therefore you should respect it.

If it weren't for the first/second gen Asian populations, the trodden upon Italianos, and the proud Puerto Ricans I don't know if I would have ever heard the word "friend of the family" in NYC, outside of hip hop or rap lyrics I mean.

E: And I suppose the occasional Florida/Israel sourced Jewish person

raton fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 15, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

The last time I called out the inherent racism in this thread they probed me for it. Let's see how it works out this time.

You didn't get probated for "calling out racism" you got probated for being a howling goon.

Are you black? If yes then you would have heard the word friend of the family a lot regardless of where you live.

If you're white then shut the gently caress up.

:rolleyes:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sorry to malign your expertise on racism in America garnered(that could be a pun) as a white person living in NYC for a year.

Edit: In case you nerds don't know, Eric Garner was a black man murdered by white police for the crime of standing while black on the sidewalk in NYC.

You're not a bad guy FBR but you're reading a joke I wrote as though it was a political manifesto and I'm having a hard time not making fun of you for it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nobody who has actually read your post history will believe that weak attempt to backpedal.

If anyone believes I'm a genuine racist they're an irredeemable moron.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

You're the liberal condescending type of racist.

So the not racist kind of racist, ok, guess that's as good as a person can do in 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Krunge posted:

These conversations about reactions in China towards white people reminds me that a friend of mine is moving to Hong Kong soon. He's a tall, muscular ginger. Can he expect any weird reactions beyond the standard?

Hong Kong is not China.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

I kind of have a real question for you guys. So, my HK counterpart always asked if I'd like to work in HK or see HK, etc. Etc. I always said yes and that it sounds like a very cool place because I try to be polite at work. I got an e-mail from her with her bosses boss loving CC'd on it that's basically like, "oh yeah here is the candidate I spoke about and highly recommended to work here." It's completely insane, everyone knows I have a son and a wife and that moving internationally is just not even a reality among a thousand other reasons.

I don't even know what I would do there since she is my direct counterpart and does what I do. I would be redundant as hell. But seriously, how do respond to this without offending? My colleagues here in NY are like, just tell her no. And shrug, but if this chick decides to become difficult, non communicative and lovely with me --- my work life will become really awful since I rely on her heavily for HK stuff. She always pulls this poo poo, invites me to meetings I don't need to be a part of, especially with the time difference and then I have to show or otherwise she loses face because her foreigner counterpart doesn't respect her to show. Aughhh

Say you mentioned it to your wife and your wife just about bit your head off because she wants to be near her parents who she considers to be not well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

ooohh, good answer

90% of the benefit of a wife/kids is using them as an excuse.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

Haha, imagine if it was some weird double bluff where I get relocated to HK and she works in NYC. Honestly, if her behavior is considered cool and good / much improved compares to mainlanders, then I don't know how you guys deal with it. I feel like most the stuff I say to her, even when relatively strong worded falls on deaf ears.

Yeah and I get that she's not retarded but some sensitivity is required and being a huge pussy and saying some sort of family comes first thing seems week. It makes me sound like I'm not ambitious which I'd like to avoid.

Maybe you aren't ambitious though

Bitch

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

Unless I just shifted into a parallel universe "I ever tell you about" is normal and common to say here in America.

"Did I ever tell you about" is fine but if you meet someone that says "I ever tell you about" you're probably at a Nascar rally.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

i live in missouri and sorry retard grammar is memetic and i have caught it like a virus

i hope you dont get upset about the word aint or double negatives

Ain't is okay if you knowingly use it as either a battered grammar-wife or for effect but you should not use it witlessly like it is a natural word of yours.

A double negative is okay when its meaning is different from the related positive (which happens a lot but not always) and you intend to use the other meaning.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a lesson on elission and reducing-to-schwa that I did a handful of times in Thailand and Thai people thought it was hilarious running around saying " 'Mgunna" instead of I'm going to and by the end of class they'd taken it too far and started sounding like Kentucky metal shop workers and I had to pull it back a little.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Oh my god, you should have just let it be. Imagine a town full of people where all the English teachers got 'em going in some kind of ridiculous American subdialect.

Most of them esoterically understand the rules of grammar already. What they need help with its minute to minute minutae of actually using the language. British people do the same thing as Americans, they just have a slightly different set of conventions for how they do it. Learning to talk like an American makes it easier to talk like a stuck up island pedophile if that's the accent you find preferable.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

For the goons in education ITT:

Here in Brazil they busted a private school scheme where the school split the students by grade and registered the most smart and promising ones under a separate school registry. So each class in the school was effectively a different school to the education board. The objective was to climb the ranks of highest average score on ENEM (brazil's equivalent of Gaokao) by only keeping the smart students scores and doing away with the stupid ones.

When I saw the news the first thing I thought was "this must have originated from China". Have you guys ever seen something like this?

This is as old a technique as standardized testing itself, so of course it is 5,000 years old, from China.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

It can be lonely even with 1.3 Billion other people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37686968

I had a Chinese bakery near my apartment in NY that, as far as I could tell, functioned as a Chinese Senior citizen daycare from 9-6. There was a library nearby and there was another clique of Seniors that filled in every available seat there for most of the day too. It's nice to see a library get such heavy use but also it was really Chinesey in there

I dated a librarian at the Flushing (NY's biggest and most real deal Chinatown -- blocks and blocks of it are exactly like China just with NYT busses) library. She said their toilet seat kept getting stolen so they eventually gave up on replacing it.

Of course the Wendys that was a five minute walk away from the bakery performed the same function for the Colombians and Dominicans around there.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 18, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not from the NE so I consider DD to be vile and would rather hang out with the Chinamen eating hotdog breads so slowly that you can't tell they're eating them at all.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

McGavin posted:

It's the H.A.I.E.R. system:

Have US citizenship.
Attract Chinese women.
Initiate plunging.
Encounter crazy.
Raccoon in supermarket.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Temporary plywood worker not glue wood according to Chinese skillful

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

To be fair the plywood could mean the difference between life and death. If there's nothing else to use it'd slow the body down a fair bit. I say good thinking whoever's idea it was.

Probably.

I really doubt it but it's nice to see Chinese cops do anything other then gawk

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

In any given picture who'd have thought it was the North American with the most diminutive pubic bush, 2016, Agartha

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

THE PWNER posted:

It's not like you'd know, estadounidense. Conversation with anyone from anywhere in the world usually goes name > where from > what do you do > so aren't those Americans retarded > complete agreement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcqrAopaLs&t=40s

raton fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 21, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

But sometimes the foreigners don't want to steal the women...

She better stay away from Carolina or she's going to get her shoulders bbq'd

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uJxyZqWos

:greencube:

"maybe i'm overestimating, but every white male who comes to southeast asia, there's like a 80-90% chance he is a pedophile or wants to engage in prostitution" lmao

Did this guy record himself saying the video twice to a metronome and then intercut the two videos? In any case it's not a good sign when the pedo you're talking about looks more normal than you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also lol @ there being no Asian pedophiles in SE Asia.

• Locked thread