Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So just got some terrible loving news from my inlaws in China (been back for 2 weeks now).

About two years ago my mother in law got a German Shepherd mix puppy which she raised it for about 4 months. It was really cute and super friendly. Most people in the town knew it as she would take it on walks and it never barked at anyone and always wanted to lick people and play. She realized that she didn't have the time or space to take care of a full grown dog and gave it to a guy who was a real dog lover and wanted a guard dog. He soon realized that it was the most useless guard dog because it unconditionally loved everyone that approached, but he was a dog lover and didn't care.

Just a few minutes ago my wife was talked to her parents on Skype and found out that it's dead.

So the family comes home from the market (they were gone for about two hours) and open the gate to their yard and the dog is lying dead on the ground. There is frothy blood everywhere and it's obvious that it has been poisoned because it was bleeding from its mouth, nose ears and eyes. The owner is pretty sure that his neigbhour killed his dog because his neighbour really, really hates him (no why). My mother in law gave the dog to this guy because he loves dogs and is a really nice guy who nobody should dislike.

The owner was heartbroken and I guess he cried over the dog's body for a long time. Later he was talking with my mother in law and said that he will never own another dog again because he would not wish for it to happen to that dog as well, and never wants to feel that kind of senseless loss again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Raserys posted:

Where's that post about the grandparents being dumped on the side of the road after trying to sell off their granddaughter

It was one of my posts, but I couldn't find it in the last China thread or the goldmined one. Pretty sure it's posted 4 China threads ago (including this one).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

You guys need to get out and take a walk. It's the middle of autumn. Do you know? The weather is very cool right now.

Cool is not good for healthy!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ceciltron posted:

God, yes, but why the hell can't anyone scramble a goddamn egg properly in the entire continent of Asia? The chinese are terrified of runny yolks. The Japanese love 'em. The koreans are busy making bad music and the rest of the world doesn't care. I just want a good, moist egg mess, and yet nobody can do this in China.

Sometimes for breakfast I like to make a runny sunny side up egg and dip my toast in the yolk. My inlaws (the first time they saw me do this) just sort of paused, looked at the egg, watched me eat it, then looked at my wife and then asked if I knew it was not fully cooked. By the time they left they were scarfing down soft yolk toasted westerns.

Other food related things that gave my in-laws pause when they were exposed to them:

Sushi (popular in China, but not so much with the older crowd)
Medium-rare steaks (all beef in China is cooked/boiled until it is well done)
Putting salt and pepper on tomato slices (they put sugar on tomatoes)
Salted peanuts on ice cream with chocolate sauce (they took to this pretty fast)
Salads (the closest thing they had to western salads was wood ear/sliced and marinated cucumber)
Pies/Pastries (baking is pretty much unheard in most of China, as everything is fried/BBQ'd)
Elaborate cocktails/Mixed Drinks (MaMa got hooked on white Russians and any cocktail with peach schnapps)
Real Pizza. (They had eaten at Pizza hut once in China and it is pretty much garbage-tier. I took them to a real Pizza place in Toronto and they couldn't believe how amazing it was)
Trifle/elaborate Desserts: They don't really have desserts in China, and most of what we would consider such, are just regular dishes that substitute the meat for red bean paste or sugar.
Western Wine: MaMa who was never a drinker back home really came to like red wine, especially Chilean Reds and stopped using her TCM sleeping aids and instead had a glass before bed to help her sleep.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 18, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JaucheCharly posted:

It's actually not so bad if you put all the notorious shits on ignore.

If 17 years on these forums have taught me one thing, it's that Goons can't help themselves.

No why.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bro Dad posted:

when hurt feelings cause you to torture animals out of spite:

How foreign protests against Yulin’s dog meat festival may have backfired

This is pretty much the same thing that is keeping the Japanese whaling industry afloat. It's a costly, heavily-subsidized industry that has almost no demand for the product. Because foreigners are making such a stink, the industry, government, and even the Japanese people are not willing to abandon it because it would be admitting defeat and losing face. Demand for whale meat is so low, that it ends up being dumped in school lunches and dog food, or used as fertilizer. Pretty much the only people who eat it are nostalgic old people who remember having to eat it after the war, and apparently the segment of that demographic that actually buys whale meat is very low as well.

The dog meat festival will never end because there will always be demand for the product and money to be made.

emoji posted:

I don't really understand your post but I went to the famous Korean LA bathhouse known as Wi Spa and some closeted creep kept following me around when I was clearly moving to avoid him and eventually tried to reach for my thigh so I loudly told him to gently caress off and drew attention to him.

When I first went to Korea I checked out the spa/sauna in the Hamilton Hotel. I went through the typical routine, and went in the different temperature sauna rooms, used the exercise equipment, had a dip in the hot tub, had a shower and went to one of the sleeping rooms. About half an hour after I conked out I woke up to a Korean guy in his early 40s lightly grabbing my dilz. I freaked out, he apologized, and I got dressed and headed to the subway. Wasn't until a month or two later that I found out that the Hamilton Spa/Sauna was a really well known gay hookup place.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

the china thread was the largest thread in the subforum for thousands of posts so it is only natural and inevitable that it eventually becomes so again

If you're not careful you might find the line between CCP propaganda and reality will blur if you keep channelling these kids of posts. Not good for healthy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jack2142 posted:

The American people win! I think Blue Collar Factory Workers and White Collar Tech Bro's all would agree that this helps their job prospects.

Also the US and Russian arms industries would jerk themselves raw to see a long, protracted conventional war between these two.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

they built empty concrete jungles over their arable land in the 21st century loving lol

It would have just been destroyed by over working/fertilizing anyway.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AEMINAL posted:

What's the bed-bug situation in china like? Guessing it's pretty hellish

For the bed bugs. They use sprays and poisons that we outlawed back when we were still dusting babies with DDT.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

He hasn't replied to this yet? Do you think he read the article and had a brain aneurysm?

The author:

"I've proven the inevitable rise of China by spending 44 days checking out tourist attractions and occasionally venturing 50-100m from the beaten path. This in-depth research has lead me to believe that China is an unstoppable juggernaut that will rule the world. It also has nothing to do with women back home not wanting to talk to me, me having no friends, and all of my colleagues thinking I'm a useless twat who has no concept of economict or politics, just because I actually don't. . . CHINA #1."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

i did reply

he reminds me of one of those tankies who occasionally shows up in d&d except for china instead of the ussr

Oh, I missed it.

Your post is so small. . . like a cigarette lighter.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

lolling at that article

two skeletons that might be from east asia turning up in roman london is really interesting but the article can't help itself

"this changes everything about the history of europe and asia!!!!!"

Chinese talking head #1: "London is a historical part of China, we have a history there that dates back to the second century!"
Chinese talking head #2: "You don't need to protest, the locals have already given themselves to us on the off chance we actually do something for them. . . .
Both: HAHAHHAHAHA

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hailthefish posted:

They go to a normal doctor and get prescribed some beta blockers, and then go to a TCM doctor and get a bunch of random poo poo (half the time with crushed up pills in it, occasionally it's herbal remedies that contain natural compounds that have the same biological effect), and then if they die from an overdose it's the fault of the western medicine and anything else means they're kept alive by the TCM.

You forgot the part where the doctor in the normal hospital also prescribes a bunch of random poo poo to try and cover his bases so the patient doesn't come back. At least 1/3 of the 800 pills he gives the granny with the high blood pressure have to be antibiotics.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Great Autismo! posted:

my wife and i were in freeport in august at the outlets and its usually a bit busy but doable, and we went to Tommy Hilfiger and there were these two kids with their parents that were borderline screaming in mandarin while they were waiting in line in front of me and i told them in chinese "you shoudln't talk so loudly, look around, its a quiet place here" and the cashier thanked me after they left lol

I am literally surprised that the kids didn't point at you and say to their parents, "that foreigner is speaking Mandarin". I've had Chinese and Korean tourists do this to me a few times while in Canada.

Some day I want to pay 100 elementary school kids to ambush a Korean couple on vacation in Canada throughout the day (one at a time, and at random) and just yell, "안녕" (hello) then run away.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 25, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

caberham posted:

Yes you guys are finally out of LAN

The China thread has a long history in GBS. It rightfully belongs hers.

In other news, I was totally wrong and the Vancouver tax actually slowed down Chinese buyers.

http://vancouversun.com/business/real-estate/new-sales-figures-show-dramatic-drop-after-b-c-foreign-buyer-tax

The Mayor's approval rating has gone up, so they have decided to also include a "vacant home" tax to nail people who are leaving homes/apartments/condos vacant for investment purposes. Appareently there is almost literally nothing to rent in Vancouver, despite estimates that there are over 10,000 vacant units in the city. Owners who can't prove that they are living in or renting their units will have to pay an additional tax.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2952402/vancouvers-empty-home-tax-approved-by-council-to-go-to-public-consultation/

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

caberham posted:

It slowed down a bit. Lots of people are frantically trying to offload their properties or pay lawyers crazy amount of money to expedite the transactions.

But guess what? There's 13 billion people so another wave will be here pretty soon!

Once people figure out another way to get around Uncle Xi's floodgates, and get their money out of the mainland, there will be another surge. Especially if another round of purges start up and the average official is worried he might be the next symbolic arrest. Or possibly if the Chinese economy takes another stumble like earlier in the year, some of the upper crust might see the writing on the wall and decide to cash out.

Either way, affordable housing in Vancouver will never be a thing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

She lives like 600M from me and works too much. Her parents got divorced, so her mom thought it was a good idea to forcibly move in with her adult daughter. Now she says there's no way she get a boyfriend or go out at night because her mom sits at home all day and questions everything.

Most Chinese parents are incredibly selfish and will happily destroy their Child's happiness and even future for short-term gain, which I think is a fitting metaphor for their economy and society as a whole.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chinar boss, not content with occupying two bus parking spots, tells his employees to protect his car with the buses not in use.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Glenn Quebec posted:

The best part of the mongol story was her taking an enormous 3 am dump. Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRFWQoXq4c

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Maybe she can hook up with Poop Girl.

Swap2.avi

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ElGroucho posted:

I've always wanted to see what a torpedo attack looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--fP017Xoc

Depending on the range, you might have 10 minutes warning or as little as 20 seconds time before the torpedo hits (depending on the Sub's position). Modern torpedoes are really fast (in The Hunt for Red October the torpedoes were travelling at WWII speeds) and the current US MK-48 is estimated to be nearly 70mph. The Russians have a supercavitating torpedo that is supposed to be able to reach 230mph, but is limited to a 15km range as opposed to the MK-48's 38 km range.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 10, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/philippines-president-duterte-orders-us-forces-out-after-65-years-do-not-treat-us-like-doormat-1585434

:lol::lol:
Duterte gone full retarde. The Chinese populace hate the Philippines. If you want a country that will treat them like "little brown brother" scum, China is top on the list. LMAO.

He's either hoping the US is going to fall for his "I can get it somewhere else" bargaining tactics, and up his military aid, or like you said, he's gone full retard. I'm half expecting a military coup any day now, which is what usually happens when a foreign nation is about to unlatch from the US MIC teat. If China does take him up on his offer, you can expect 5 or so years of honeymoon bliss before they have bought enough politicians and people in the military to make the Philippines a puppet state. I'm sure Xi is salivating at the PR coup that would be a nation abandoning the US for China, and having a friendly port that lets him steam right through a bunch of US friendly nations back yards is a military victory in itself.

I think the likely outcome is a "RIP Duterte!" thread cropping up in GBS within a few months.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ceciltron posted:

South Africans are generally scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY&t=5s

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

nigga crab pollock posted:

i should probably never visit china because if there's one thing i will do instinctually and indiscriminately it is call people out on their face-saving bullshit. but in America that is Good, Maybe?

If they can't understand their stupidity from someone who can speak limited Mandarin, then they are just going to assume that you are a crazy person and will never put two and two together. I've literally gotten to the point where the next step was to "draw a picture" to explain a problem to a Chinese person, and they still didn't get it. Cognitive dissonance/pig-headedness/outright stupidity is so firmly entrenched in the culture that most of the people would not understand it even if their parents put on a puppet show to explain it to them.

The worst instance was also with the person who should have had the best chance to understand the situation...

For some inexplicable reason, there was a mainlander guy going through teacher's college at my university, and he was in my class. Near the end of the semester I got stuck in a group with him and he did absolutely nothing except post the Wikipedia page on our topic and try and boss around a Canadian born ethnic Chinese girl who was also in the group (she was having none of that). When it was all done (and we had to fix his "contribution" to the group's paper) we had to do a presentation. Given that he didn't know how to really speak or write in English, naturally he wanted to present the project to the professor and the class because he was afraid that he was not going to get a fair share of the credit/grades.

We explained the following to him:

"You don't have a clue what the project is about"
"You are obviously nervous when public speaking"
"You can't really speak English"
"You can't possibly field questions posed by the professor/students"
"Also you did absolutely no work and we all had to cover for you, and we won't have time to do that if you try the same poo poo with the presentation"

Dude was super-pissed, but he couldn't really do anything about it, and got even more pissed when the Chinese-Canadian girl ended up presenting because she had a really nice speaking voice* and was really animated and comfortable in front of people. After hearing all of this, and knowing full well that he would not only be sinking the group, but himself as well, he would still rather go down in flames than admit his idea was bad and he was wrong.

*anyone else notice that Canada/US born Asian women overwhelmingly have "News Anchor/Radio" quality speaking voices?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Nope, never noticed that. If they were born here they sound exactly like everyone else. There might be some class issues at play which might subtly affect how some poeple sound, but even that's stretching it.

I think the class issue might be it. Living in Northern Ontario means I don't have many Asian women in my circle of friends and coworkers, so I came to that conclusion from my time in university. Are elocution lessons a real thing that China born parents might get for their kids?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Murray Mantoinette posted:

This is the asian equivalent of making Minute Rice and pouring a bunch of soy sauce on top and going "ugh, what do chinese people see in this!?"

I found a really good bakery in Shanyang that made a variety of bread without adding too much sugar. I started having what my Chinese coworkers and friends called, "sandwich night" as their only experience with sandwiches were the really stingy subs at subway (adding 1/2 the meat and 1/8th the toppings) or those crappy pre-packaged ones from grocery/convenience stores.

The first time I had everyone over I made pulled pork on Kaiser buns. I bough a pork shoulder, slow cooked it, made the BBQ and Coleslaw from scratch, and everyone else brought a side dish. Everyone went nuts for this, and I decided to try my luck at different sandwiches. I made Reubans (this was the north-east, so everyone likes sauerkraut) that went over really well, as did the turkey clubhouses, grilled cheese with bacon and garlic, egg-salad, BLT's. Everything was a hit except for the tuna salad sandwiches (tuna, mayo, diced onion, salt+pepper, and lettuce).

I was going to show them what a real pizza tasted like, but I could not find a single person with an oven or at the least a BBQ that closed properly.

My most disappointing example of "Asians refusing to try food" was in Korea at our school's pot-luck lunch. My co-worker from England and I slow-cooked ribs and glazed them in BBQ sauce we made from scratch. They turned out perfect, and looked like the ones you would see in a magazine. Just as we had unveiled them and the Korean teachers (as well as the Japanese and Chinese foreign teachers) were going "ohhh. . . awwww" at the sight of them, one of the department heads decreed, "Koreans shouldn't eat pork that is prepared that way, it is not good for your digestion". The Japanese and Chinese teachers joined my college and I while the rest of the Korean staff over 30 looked down their noses at us, and all of the Korean staff under 30 looked longingly at the ribs. Naturally, the Chinese food was never touched because Chinese people are dirty, and the Japanese food was skipped because "don't waste this delicious Korean food we eat literally every day of our lives!"

Right at the end of the meal one of the senior department heads who used to be in a Joint US/ROK military unit in the 60's* came in (piss drunk as usual) and said really loudly, "BBQ RIBS! and made a b-line for them". He started talking (really too loud) about how some of the guys from his joint unit from the Southern US used to make the best ribs, and these looked just like them. This was the permission that the younger staff needed to help themselves, and the ribs, Chinese and Japanese food were immediately pounced on.

*this department head was very high up (outranked the VP somehow) and was fairly well travelled, so he didn't subscribe to a lot of the Korean mindset with regards to "foreign things".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fish and chips and dip posted:

I always derided my fellow Scandinavians for being picky as hell eaters, but that was until I experienced China and Korea. China and Korea really are decades ahead of the west when it comes to stupid as poo poo picky eating.

I used to think that some of my older relatives were picky/wary of trying new foods, but then again none of them loaded a steamer truck of garbage-tier instant noodles so they didn't have to eat the food in Italy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How can a man with no personality have a cult of personality?

It's sort of like pre-ordering Star Citizen. . . you're hoping something will eventually materialize.

Outrail posted:

Can we get some stories about cool high class China? There must be a few of old money classy folk who escaped the purges. Serious post.

You'd have to go to Vancouver to meet them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

Since this thread is now a hodge podge:

I have a feeling coup attempt #22 is in the works.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My wife's rich aunt and uncle are pissed because they bought an apartment in some "Up and Coming" development outside of Beijing only to find out that the address is some row of crappy brick warehouses, and the developers ran off with all the deposits they got from hundreds of investors. They're saying they are out over 1/2 a million RMB (possibly more) for a single apartment.

I was wondering why they would admit to this (losing face) but I think they are telling people this because the gain in face is more than the loss due to the fact that this is really just a drop in the bucket to them*. Sort of like showing off how rich you are by lighting a cigar with a $100.

*This is the same aunt and uncle who flew to Hong Kong when he got a promotion and blew upwards of $50k USD on Rolex watches and LV luggage. This is also one of the few examples of Grandparents treating a granddaughter better than a grandson, because "they are rich and will take the best care of us". My wife's grandparents on her father's side have spend every cent they own (and can guilt out of their other children) on this granddaughter, because they are going to be taken care of so well by them. Both are still waiting for this amazing lifestyle to begin after 20+ years of sucking up, and are likely going to die within the next 5 or so, since they are both a year or two above their expected life expectancy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Potrzebie posted:

Such healthy, good for body!

She obviously ate too much smelly fruit. Her body had to let the heat out somewhere. . . and it has nothing to do with her sucking an old guy's herp-covered dilz for $1100 RMB.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ladron posted:

I don't think it's for "fooling" as much as for "fashion"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dicky mouse posted:

I m sorry, I am having trouble parsing this.

So you didnt go to hearst castle and are showing them up because you can say "yeah we did it a hearst caslte"

or you just gorillia shot some photos at hearst castle and they think the wedding happened there.

I'm guessing he means that they had wedding photos taken at Hearst Castle, but everyone back home will assume they went to Europe to have them taken instead of California.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ You have just caused the Parent/Grandparent to lose face by pointing out that their little hellian was acting up. Be prepared for a shouting match.

Bardeh posted:

I'm currently at a resort in Southern Thailand. Most of the guests are Chinese, but in all honesty they've been fine and well behaved. Until today, when a new family checked in. They've got a son, maybe 3 years old. The mom just follows him round, hovering over him as he runs all over the place. We just went out to get dinner, and on the way back she was crouched by the side of the road as her son took a poo poo on the path, which she threw some tissue on, wiped his rear end, and then they just left it there and walked away. No shame, no nothing, completely businesslike. :wtf:

That's it? "Fellas, we've found the most well-behaved Chinese tourist on earth!"

In all honesty, when you get off the beaten path, the quality of Chinese tourists (like most tourists) dramatically increases. The number of Chinese tourists going through Northern Ontario (specifically Manitoulin Island, across the ferry, and through Tobermory) is growing dramatically, and 99.99% of them are absolutely great. Now if you want destructive tourists, check out the Indian/Pakistani tourists from Toronto, as they have street hiking trail/beach making GBS threads down to a science, and most of them appear to have actually been born in Canada. Last time I crossed the ferry and went to check out the grotto in Tobermory I came around a bend in the trail and was 10' away from a guy unloading a massive poo poo in the dead center of the trail, and just 20 or so feet from the grotto itself (making awkward, unblinking eye-contact with me). Moms were shielding their kids eyes, and dads were getting pissed, but nobody was doing anything because he and his ~25 friends found safety by making GBS threads in large numbers.

The dozen or so Chinese tourists there were loudly complaining in Mandarin about all of the "Indian people poo poo" littering the beach and trail, and how they had no class. :irony:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

Chang's only real mistake was predicting a sudden collapse and saying it would happen "by year x" which is the exact same mistake as the "Chinese century China to overtake America by 2020" folks made, just on the opposite side of the spectrum

He's been pretty consistently correct in identifying the weakness of Chinese fundamentals but that's led to stagnation rather than an outright collapse

Really, any other country would have had a huge financial collapse by now, but nobody would have guessed how much money the CCP had under their mattress to throw in this massive "sunk cost fallacy". There was a graph posted earlier in the thread showing how the CCP has been step-by-step, RMB-by-RMB picking up the slack in investment from the private sector, which anyone with some grasp of economics knows is not feasible. The CCP has had a bit of self-awareness, in that they have been trying to buy up as many foreign companies as possible which they see as being future powerhouses. There was a German automation company a month or two ago that the CCP set up for failure so they could buy it out cheap, and other instances like Volvo, IBM, and a host of oil/mining companies as well. The problem is that buying out an innovative company only works for a few years, before they turn it into an "innovative company with Chinese characteristics" and they are once again stuck with assets that are falling behind the technology curve.

The crash is happening, it's just a matter of how bad they want it to end up being. Had they let the market do its own thing, then they might have had their very own "USA 2009" on their hands and might even be past the worst of it by now and on the way to recovery, but the way the CCP is playing things they're acting like they will be able to "outspend it" forever. What I'm thinking is going to happen is that they are going to have their version of the "Great Recession" in a few years, but the government will have spent so much of their savings (and allowed so much of it to go to Vancouver) that they won't have the resources to try and bail out their economy like the US did and they will have a "forever recession" like Japan has been in for the past 30 years, but without the extensive modern infrastructure, impressive social security system, and absolutely no goodwill left to rely on.

Should things get that bad, the country could see itself going back towards Cultural Revolution-esq crackdowns on personal freedoms, or a full-blown peasant uprising. Given the other social and environmental factors piling up, China is setting itself up for a massive fall that is going to shake the entire world economy to its core.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

This has already started.

Yeah. Xi is a pretty regressive poo poo-heel, but he has a long ways to go before things get 1960's bad. It would be interesting to know what his and the CCP's plans are to quell the inevitable social upheaval/revolt.

Really restrict movement (dial the Hukou system up to 11) to keep people from organizing?
Restrict internet further, disable social media to do the same?
Really inflate the number of PLA soldiers and police officers to there are less unemployed men stewing and causing trouble (and more to quell trouble)?
Figure out the exact week things are going to poo poo and use the confusion to move all their assets and families overseas?

You'd think that with all the issues at hand and the ones that are going to be cropping up, that there is going to be an inevitable revolution of some sort, and that the CCP must be planning for it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

To be fair the plywood could mean the difference between life and death. If there's nothing else to use it'd slow the body down a fair bit. I say good thinking whoever's idea it was.

Probably.

For your information, that "anti-suicide" plywood is department issued.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fauxtool posted:

they should do a tv show where cops swap places with another country's cops.

"Cop Swap"

I would love to see LAPD in China and see Chinese cops get their first gun.

Assuming there was no language barrier, I assume it would go something like this...

Chinese Cops in LA:

-Everyone has a negligent discharge when issued their Glocks as there is no external mechanical safety.
-Utterly confused when people start giving them poo poo for catching them sleeping in their squad cards while on duty.
-Total bafflement when they turn on their sirens and traffic parts (they pull over as well because they are sure a disaster is happening)
-Fear of black people is the same, but instead of shooting them they just run off
-Response times increase by 10,000%
-Confused when the forensics people start screaming at them for spitting all over the crime scene and tossing butts near the weapon and body.
-Pure horror when they tramp on the gas of their V8 Crown Vic and rocket through a storefront (their 4 cylinder Jettas back home are almost always on the verge of dying due to poor maintenance)
-Everyone has horrible, horrible back pains from wearing full bulletproof vests, guns, ammo, tazer, pepper spray, baton, radio, cuffs, notepad, heavy boots, cap, and 3lb belt.

LA Cops in China:

-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese citizens who get in their face and scream because someone pissed them off.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese cars that don't get out of the way when they turn on the siren.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese citizens who don't understand what the police tape is for.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese forensics staff who don't understand forensics and make a mess of their crime scenes.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese criminals who are used to having over and hour to vacate the crime scene before cops show up.
-Baton usage DOWN 10,000% when they start to realize that bribe culture is still alive and well in China.

Now if you could send US cops and firemen over to China with their own vehicles (police cruisers with ramming frames and fire trucks with 2" thick metal bumpers) you'd see traffic parting like the red sea after a few months of people getting their cars mashed out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

I should have prefaced my statement with "My time in Japan". I have no idea what happens in Korea. My mistake.

Maybe I lucked out meeting normal people. They all drink like fishes though and they teach you that skill quite well.

Korea is just a slightly toned down version of Japan in many ways, except when it comes to brute-force education. They dial that poo poo up to "11". The government had to actually step in and enact laws designed to prevent parents from enrolling their 4 year olds into after school classes that go until midnight.

• Locked thread