Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

sticksy posted:

Not sure how many would get a reference to the Tiananmen Square massacre tbh

It's really a mixed bag. A lot of people around Beijing have second-hand knowledge of it because their parents or grandparents lived it. You have soldiers who went back to their random provinces after having experienced it, and telling people. You have net-savvy people who have looked it up and learned the truth, and you have people who have heard it from western media and believed it because it came with accompanying footage of the event.

Then you have the vast majority of young(ish) people today who have heard the official party lines (which have changed over the years) and are willing to accept them.

Early 90's version It was an attempted coup by radicals, and it was put down with minimal effort.
Mid 90's version It was just a few thousand students who were misguided, and it fizzled out fairly quickly.
2000's Version It was just a few hundred students who were misguided, and it fizzled out instantly.
2010's Version Nothing happened. . . there has always been perfect harmony in Communist China.
2020's Version "Our records indicate that you have used the numbers 19 and 89 in more than 4 instances this past year, and in one case all 4 digits together "8991". Your national social media ranking has been devalued by 1 point. You are now ineligible to attain a passport, take out a loan, and are banned from all government positions (including municipal). Any further violations will result re-education at "The Xi Jinping school of never being seen again". An official hard copy warning will be mailed to your address at 19 Zhong Sha street, unit 89. An electronic version has been sent to your phone at 877-455-8991."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The White Dragon posted:

are we talking infant mortality rates

Executions per year?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

sticksy posted:

True mainlanders shitpost in the street.

Power Khan between the sheets.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I really, really want to see the USS Constitution dock in Kaohsiung and see what the CCP's response is.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

brocked posted:

Doesn't the US still have a ship in N Korea or something?

Yup. USS Pueblo is still on the roster.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1052975093616271361?s=20

Wow, China has provided 1 million members of a minority group with the opportunity for free vocational training!

Vocational schools with 20' tall barbed wire fences, guard towers, and roving spotlights?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Taiwan is both cool and good. I wish them the best of luck.

Baronjutter posted:

Canada too pretty big time. Our prime minster is heavily funded by mainland political and business interests and lists china as his most admired country.

We also turn a blind (or even supporting) eye for chinese agents to set up shop in Canada to keep an eye on "their own", specially in universities.

The Liberals have always been a cash-strapped party, and they see China as their answer to their campaign fund problems. Due to the restrictive donation policies in Canada they can't rely on a few big companies funneling cash into their accounts like they used to, so they need to rely on a large amount of people donating the maximum amount. Since companies and parties are under greater scrutiny with their donations, they can't have a firm in Quebec having every employee donating the max amount because it raises huge red flags. But if they have sympathetic Chinese (Canadian) citizens doing it, they can rest easy. The conservatives have an ideal voter base for donations, as their demographics include a lot of people who need to donate money for income tax purposes, so they sent it their way. The Liberals don't have that same well to tap, so they traditionally have had to set up donations rackets to get their funds.

It really sucks, because if they had the conservative's financial stability, they might actually spend some time running the country instead of frantically trying to raise enough money for ads.

In 2009 the Conservatives received $17,702,201.05 from 101,385 contributors, while the Liberals received $9,060,916.11 from 37,876 contributors.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Great Autismo! posted:

I'm kinda confused that I'm the clueless racist one while noting that Australia thought this type of cartoon was ok

I didn't even say anything I personally believe, I just stated what happened

lol

When goons see an opportunity to dog-pile someone, their reading comprehension drops to nothing and they only see what they want to see in other people's posts. It's like saying 1920's Europeans just rolled their eyes at people getting mad about racist Jewish caricatures in the media. You're stating a fact, not stating an opinion.

Also I didn't know what Serena Williams has to do with Taiwan. . . did her tantrum have Chinese characteristics?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wonder what the fallout (pun) would be if Taiwan suddenly announced that they have a limited tactical nuclear arsenal. Like several intermediate range ballistic missiles that would cover the straight and a small portion of the mainland where troops and supplies would be marshaled. Right there it would alter the Chinese projected plan, as any attempt to invade would be seen as a direct threat to the continued existence of Taiwan, and would possibly result in a limited exchange turning into a regional->global nuclear war. It sucks that there would have to be that sort of brinkmanship, but really that's one of the few ways I can see Taiwan ensuring their national security.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

caberham posted:

Ummmm isn’t that actually kind of trashy and desecrating the flag?

:lol: If anyone actually cares about their flag or anthem being disrespected.

Also the flag is up against boobs, a vagina, and a butt. Most respect!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Poetry man!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kharnifex posted:

So patriotic

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

caberham posted:

Mmmmm okay.

Try putting wearing clothes like that and go to a soldier’s funeral / citizenship ceremony / putting it on social media.

But don’t stop posting.

Taiwan is still awesome

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

appropriatemetaphor posted:

this is also my first time seeing any sort of flag-related clothing, really blowing my socks off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

caberham posted:

Pretty fast turn around!

Alright now do it for a citizenship ceremony.

I wanted to post a picture but the mobile app is not letting me :smith:

• Locked thread