Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's stopping me from making a separate Tibet thread?

We all know that would actually be a China thread, so why bother? Just join us here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Here's China's radiotelescope

Here's Arecibo

You will notice the rather large disparity in technology at the dish focus, which is where the magic happens. Anybody can slap together a square km of sheet metal and pick up some decommissioned high tension lines. Arecibo has liquid helium cooling their focus antennas to a degree or two Kelvin. I do not believe the Chinese are neck and neck here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep, it's critical. FAST (the Chinese one):

quote:

A 65-person village was relocated from the valley to make room for the telescope[8] and an additional 9,110 people living within a 5 km radius of the telescope were relocated to create a radio-quiet area.

Not sure on Arecibo's blanket quiet zone, but it looks from the ham radio regulations that there's a 16 km radius around it where you have to get special permission to put up any transmitters on certain bands.

These structures are all environment-centric, meaning that they find the bowl first, worry about the people later. Hard to find areas that will support such huge structures with inconvenient geometry.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Away all Goats posted:

Why does this forum love talking about china and india so much?

because we dont have enough of your posts and need to fill the void somehow

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Haier posted:

Whoa. Family Guy's animation got weird looking. Too much detail.

from what it seems they hired a company to do some 3d shots here and there and you can tell that they are contractually obligated to show at least 17 seconds of 3d rendered footage per episode now, iirc its debut was with the big murder mystery finale where peter kills diane the news lady

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stringent posted:

For real though, any man who can't subjugate his domestics to do what his career demands has no business calling himself a man.

shiiiiit, i knew a guy that got his CCIE and his wife promptly found him a job in the small louisiana town her parents were in. he went along with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

does dude have hard prior art on this, or is there a chance that he did the "rebrand aliexpress item for kickstarter" thing, got found out, and the dates were sketchy enough that he could float a great global copyright infringement thing plausibly?

like sure, the thing showed up on aliexpress, the friendly enduser wing of alibaba, 6 days after he "released" it or whatever. But when did it show up in 1000 lot quantities on alibaba proper, is kinda what i'm driving at.

• Locked thread