Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I have personally used chinese disposable razors and they go blunt before even 20 of my chin bristles are cut. The ones I buy everywhere else are obv still made in china but they last for weeks. Difficult to explain, but also explains a lot

A big aspect of China isn't just "domestic is poo poo" but it does have a bit of "you get what you pay for" with the caveat that you have to cut through all the bullshit. You can get a good deal in China, but it involves all the same oversight and management as a full-on contract in a reliable country. In bulk, you can turn a profit due to the discounted wages, but at a certain point, you're paying the same or more for the oversight/management. It's mostly how places like walmart turn out consistently good(not to be confused with great) products: simple and cheap manufacturing is mostly foolproof; they actually spent money on agents, contracts, and oversight; and the amount of business is such a big number that the Chinese side is a real sweetheart deal.

Also helps that China lacks real OSHA and workman's comp aspects, so when a cog gets mangled, you hose down the packages, the worker, and you replace the broken worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is the sort of news which makes a company scour its IT department for breaches, because while it's possible they made it, it's just as likely they stole it, and they have only themselves to blame for that suspicion, as that's their answer to cottage industry manufacturing.

But wow, this seems like the sort of thing you don't point out:

"You assemble iphones and McDonald's kids toys, but this year, TYOOL 2017, is the year you manufactured a ballpoint pen without imports. Just this year. Not 20 years ago, or 10, or even 5, but this year. What have you been signing all your documents with before now? Inkwells and brushes?"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Radical posted:

I’m seeing something on the BBC about how China has the most super computers now. I seem to remember someone saying something about how this is isn’t what it seems. What’s the deal?

Part of all the "China good" and "Silk Road" funding is paid for by China. Funny, when BBC went to cover the CCP event recently, they got the poo poo end of treatment: no access, followed by plainclothes, anyone they talked to harassed during/after.

China's computers were built of mediocre parts that do just the calculations that qualifies it for supercomputer status.

Blistex posted:

But the hot water is full of heavy metals.

"Hot water stronger than heavy metal, you healthy with hot water, your strong body defeat imbalance of chi. You want more healthy, I have powder made from horse, horse is strong, pull plow, you strong like horse with powder. Special deal, 200 yuan!"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

You listened to the BBC about China

To be fair, they can't get the info firsthand, and it's the only info from China. :shrug:

A lot of the propaganda is program fluff, but when it comes to actual news, BBC still sends someone there to get stonewalled and report back "Yeah, we tried to cover this, but they parked a lorry in the way and shouted in Chinese, our translator told us they were going to break our cameras" and that's why the BBC has walked to fine line of being called pro-PRC and anti-PRC at the same time.

Personally, I'm speculating that the Silk Road project is a front for shipping Himalayan water sources all the way to Beijing in an aquaduct-style transport, and knowing China, it will fail in some cost-cutting/profit-pocketing way.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lupin posted:

This is dumb and racist-sounding as hell. There's a difference between calling out China for being the cesspool that it is, and resorting to stupid stereotypes with "chinky-chinaman so dumb and irrational" mockery.

lol

Have you never been verbally accosted by the old Chinese guy shilling anything in Chinatown? From TCM over the counter cures and the special sweet buns today, to special "healthy body" foot massages, they will go on without breathing like an infomercial to make a sale, the hustle is real with them.

And the broken english really does sound like that; full sentence structure doesn't matter as much as conveying the point. My favorite broken english phrase is still one from an older Korean guy: "You get kimchi, it make(s) you big healthy." It's not the accent, but the earnestness of how he said it, like he believed kimchi really does undo chain smoking cigarette damage, and wards off cancer, and protects against contagious illnesses.

oohhboy posted:

There is already a projects underway and completed in the Himalayas for water and power.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/may/18/india-set-to-start-massive-project-to-divert-ganges-and-brahmaputra-rivers

China being China don't give a gently caress about anyone else and is trying to divert as much water as it can which completely fucks over India. They are literally playing the villain's plan in Quantum of Solace.

China has no water Quantity agreements with anyone, its 100% FYGM. There is some fluff about research and quality but everyone else have worked together to avoid potential water wars. Of course China doesn't obey international laws and conventions.

http://chinawaterrisk.org/resources/analysis-reviews/water-treaties-a-question-of-rights/

I expect China to try to move the water and end up with a "Yellow River in the Spring" problem, but fucktupled.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

Did you tell them to quit smoking or take up Weed instead?

Korean guy was running a yaki mandu/korean food place and I was after the 20 mandu special, he was pushing kimchi because I was hesitating. Everywhere local around here has korean food in addition to menu items: hamburgers, sushi, chinese, all of them have a korean food option. Big market around here catering to fresh transfers from SK.

But the plus side is the extensive seafood and imports.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kimcicle posted:

I missed Korea chat. My favorite kind of chat. :( Go visit Korea! It's not that bad, I swear!

You would think that manufacturers would be doing -something- to capitalize on this, rather than opening up this black market for baby formula. I would get stressed if we were getting low on our last can, despite the fact I could drive to three different stores within 10 minutes and buy another.

The problem is that even if the manufacturer sends it directly to China, someone will skim it for profit. That, and the ubiquitous distrust if domestic products(even if they are safe and surprise: quality) means Chinese people will buy it outside the mainland and send it back. Because someone's grandma and uncle has the familial trust of a community over a manufacturer's safety seal.

The only way to guarantee its untampered quality is to buy it elsewhere.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

beep-beep car is go posted:

As someone with a one month old on formula I’m forever glad of this but I’m surprised I don’t hear about people buying up formula to sell back in China in the US. It can’t be that we’re too far of they’re doing it in Europe. Are we just too big to notice?

US has two ocean on either side, it's far less economical to run a baby formula game. Not to say that it can't, but why do that in the US when Australia is right there?

Yeah, because history shows that driving religions underground and being hostile to them works real well...

People are going to start disappearing, retaliatory violence is going to break out, or a hidden Chinese Jesus sect of Christianity will somehow happen. Maybe a combination.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
:catstare:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

Given how desperate you have to be to defect the turbo loving might have already taken place. Add the fact he went through the DMZ of all places. I can only imagine.

If he didn't have any because they died of decades-gone parasites, there's really no downside to defecting. :shrug:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I would unironically buy that shirt for half my christmas list.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Also how on earth do both those charts have assumptions that the populations/birth rate will stabilize and not grow?

JeffGoldblumNatureFindsAWay.tiff

In all likelihood the populations will hit a figurative wall where going beyond those numbers will result in the survivability rate tanking. You can really only cram so many people into one square block without having fatally lovely conditions.

Also, if China really does make technological/economic advancements like those in major developed countries, it will naturally see a decline in birth rates. It's a phenomenon with developed places and adults not wanting to put their procreation into turbospeed, something about farmhands, or just being greedy enough to want disposable income.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah you guys are insane. As soon as my job in Taiwan tried messing with my apartment situation I put in my notice and the situation was magically unfucked and they offered to promote me.

Is this the terrible marketing practice of the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but to an absurd degree? If you can't be assed to complain, they still have your money. If you complain without the biggest face to stare them down, they will counter-face and they still have your money. But if you put forth enough face that they're going to lose face, they'll dip into their pockets and fix the problem.

So if 9/10 for each, they end up with 99/100 they keep money and change nothing, and 1/100 where they actually fix something, where in a market with standards, they should be anything higher than 1/100? It's a profitable plan, to be sure.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

i really want to write a scifi or fantasy book where i take the most inscrutable aspects of chinese people and fuse them into some imaginary race of people. what do you think would be the coolest features to add in there? the idea of a guy thinking a tiger would value money is a good one. i think the trick would be to make it not read like an outright caricature; you'd need to somehow really hit the chinese geist and humanize it as much as possible

Instead of a people with a dynamic culture, maybe it's a sentient culture that has dynamic people?

Also the "mind over matter" ability sounds plausible as well. Regardless of the choice, it has to be a "5,000 years" choice.

ladron posted:

wow are you doing 711 wrong

I can't speak for China, but in Japan, 7/11 is a goddamn utility knife of a convenience store. Hell, American 7/11 has "chef made meals" for sale, plus franchise-exclusive options. Only way I see "salad at 7/11" being bad is no access to fresh salad.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

I am not saying they are not a different hue, and I absolutely agree that white people are really pink, I'm just saying I for real don't get "yellow" as an adjective.

Closest I can get to making a not-racist excuse is that it's an undertone of skin color, but really, you'd have to ask a beautician if that's even a viable excuse. :shrug:

Jack2142 posted:

The thing that amuses me is the Chinese went out to loving Gray's Harbor County to setup these grow-ops. The area is like ~90%~ rain redneck with most the rest being native Americans, so a bunch of Chinese going around setting up grow ops sounds hilariously unsubtle and no wonder they got caught.

I wonder how that's going to go over regarding foreign policy. Ol' Two Scoops was big on stopping Mexico sending druggers over the border, I wonder if his song is the same for one of Uncle Xi's boys.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Known Lecher posted:

https://www.nature.com/news/china-to-roll-back-regulations-for-traditional-medicine-despite-safety-concerns-1.23038

Good news, China goons! The government is doing its best to provide a bright future for you wherein when you get sick and go to the hospital, you can 1.) be seen by a TCM :airquote:doctor:airquote: who has only passed a :airquote:skills test:airquote: who then 2.) prescribes you :airquote:medicine:airquote: that has undergone zero clinical trials, and 3.)likely contains an ingredient that causes cancer and/or damages your kidneys. But you won't know because 4.) discussion of that is censored, of course!

:china:

I think China is purposefully trying to make a safety-less nation full of people-killing hazards to rein in the older adult populations by literally killing them off. It would balance out the populations and it's not like China is hurting for people.

Like the European Bubonic Plague outbreak, leading to the Renaissance, but highly artificial in the making and modern.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

anyone not korean is a foreigner.
this story reminds me of taking language classes in college (my undergrad is foreign languages). the (native speaking) spanish teachers almost universally hated the native spanish speakers because they were kind of arrogant and had the attitude of taking the class for an easy A.

Spanish teachers in High School were a lot better, because they knew some of the kids and got sassy with them, going spanish mama on them at full speed, it was comedy if you could follow along.

big time bisexual posted:

the best attempted pengci scam yet

https://a.pomfe.co/xypxnf.mp4

That shuffle before collapsing was giving me flashbacks to playing Paperboy way back in the day

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

The show is really slow and I am starting to feel it's like a soap opera for dudes.

That's basically history as written :shrug:

The worst part is how well fit it is in that hole, there's not much in way of leverage to get it out

Atlas Hugged posted:

I saw a guy sitting on a scooter, just sitting not driving thank god, doing the one phone on each ear thing. Was he just crazy? Was he relaying what he heard in his right ear to the guy in his left? Were there two other guys all using two phones so that it was a low tech conference call and none of them could figure out Skype or LINE? Or was it some absurd sitcom-esque situation where he was having two separate conversations but his responses were perfectly thought out to accurately respond to both people with whom he was speaking? The world will never know.

I know someone who had this happen to them a few times, it's often a case of being stuck as the middleman, where you're the one responsible for being the liaison between the boss above you and the one who contracted the outside help, and you can't just push them together, because it's "your job" to literally sit between them, because responsibility, or your name on the paper or whatever.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I never understand the Versailles thing. Just because you have gold trim and marble doesn’t mean your apartment is luxury. In fact you need a gigantic gently caress off mansion with court yard and servants and a giant hall of mirrors to even match the look.

Have an apartment in Versailles trim just shows how poor and peasant your roots are. I told my mom this and she got upset

The trick is to not call it "Versailles" but "Baroque"--or "Rococo" if that's specifically what you're going for.

Because Versailles indicates really rich French aristocracy that eventually gets beheaded in violent revolution. Or a historical city.

It's an awkward translation of ideas, not unlike just grabbing a word from a thesaurus. Like saying "I'm high in calories" when you mean "I'm rich"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'd venture to guess that because the U.S. is fomenting anger and potential violence in the mideast over an embassy, it spooked CCP officials into thinking another Israeli intifada will bring Muslim extremists to their doorstep, and they may be right with the flagrant oppression the Uighurs.

Also for future donor matching when they inevitably liquidate whole neighborhoods to put down a suspected extremist threat.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

big time bisexual posted:

the time when china almost switched the meaning of traffic lights

Sounds like when the zealots and fanatics are hellbent on "Our thing!", the elder/leader just has to wrap the common sense(or status quo) in some patriotic/revolutionary wrapping and BS some symbolism until they accept it.

Though lol at the notion of completely defying the world standard for extra face.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Reposting from the /r/relationships thread:

My [18F] bf [20M] disagrees with my parents politically. Argued with them that an event my parents lived through where people had died didn't actually happen. Is it wrong that I don't want to be with him anymore due to this?

Bonus: this content brought to us by forums poster "Known Lecher" :lol:

Not sure what's worse, the dude's indoctrination, or the girl's "this is not a deal-breaker" attitude about it

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

China doesn't see color.

Blindness is a symptom of some heavy metal poisonings :eng101:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

from yospos to d&d to you, friends

the entire article is a pro click and not for the reasons other people thought it was

quote:

For example, out of the thirteen economists in my year at Trinity, twelve would go on to join investment banks, and five of us went to work for Goldman Sachs.

:thunk:

EDIT: It's worded really badly and somewhat unclear, after a third reading.

I'm the lack of prohibition for public defecation

Mistle fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 9, 2018

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Can't figure if it was a case of "let me run this over to be a face-earning dick" or if it was "Let me avoid this- poo poo it's moving, poo poo it's- "

Funny in either case, in the laugh without guilt kind of way.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CIGNX posted:

In addition to what Baronjutter said, the pride in 5,000 years of history is not just about the length of time but also how "advanced" Chinese civilization has been for those 5,000 years. Chinese nationalism likes to think that all civilizations develop on a linear path, and you can infer which civilizations are "better" by how much progress they have made on this path and how long they have been making progress without going backwards.

This is why you see so much petty competition between Chinese, Korean, and Japanese nationalists about inventing or developing something the earliest. By claiming X thing was developed in Y country first, nationalists of Y country can claimed to have been "civilized" earlier and imply it is better than the other countries.

I've had maybe one occasion to raise this argument, but I like to point out to "5000 years of civilization" arguments that China's "Big Three" achievements(the compass, gunpowder, and paper) are what the Europeans used to find, conquer, and subjugate(respectively) with propaganda the mostly-undiscovered Western world, but China had those things long before the Europeans, so there was absolutely no reason for Europe to do it first. At that point, it devolved into whataboutisms, which is to be expected.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

Those 999 readings have got to be fakes due to equipment failure or something, though. Lots of them are right next to numbers in the 100s.

Counterpoint: China has trucks drive around to clean the air near AQI sensors to fool readings into "not so bad" numbers.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

To be fair, lovely apartments are everywhere.

GIS for "shower in kitchen":

It's a matter of water pipe access in a lot of places, because running PVC and breaking open walls is sketchy.

Outrail posted:

Dude with the mattock/hoe looking thing had several chances to at least try put it through the pigs head.

If that's really a wild boar, it's like a lot of other swine, and it has a really thick skull. You're better off breaking the leg, or swinging for the softer undersides.

Skulls of big feral hogs can actually deflect small caliber ammunition :science:

If you want to go in through the front, though, you'll need something high-powered, possibly milsurp :getin:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lupin posted:

Yes, I believe all of these are good things and you definitely understood the joke.

Anyway, got this in the mailbox today, and I get similar flyers about twice a week

Extremely China.jpg (they serve everything from airport pick up to elite sales division!!)

Yes no no yes
Would pet the dog, yes no no
yes no yes no

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

Or a better example: Bitcoin. Literally backed by nothing (not even a government pinky-swear), can't even be used as toilet paper or burnt in a oil drum for warmth.

Though I guess Bitcoin isn't a currency so much as it is a Ponzi scheme.

Better explanation is that Bitcoin is basically a market-determined IOU people trade in lieu of money, and enough people trust its value to both accept and offer them as something with actual currency ability.

EDIT: It cuts out the CCP and that's not cool with Uncle Xi's grift mill.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Chinese steel sucks

I feel like this is why the trade war is not in China's interest.

Also that they'd basically resort to foreign country middleman purchases to avoid the direct U.S./China tariffs, but there's going to be at least one skeevy Chinese middleman who is going to skim the gently caress out of being a middleman, and it's going to be in the news buried by CCP Face Retention Department

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

When you don't follow the formula of "take everything political extremely seriously", "always try to win at face culture", and "only publish positive content involving Uncle Poohbear's new dictatorship", this happens.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Actually you guys are all wrong. From the D&D China thread I've learned that in any conflict with the west China has the moral and ethical upper hand. China is a united cultural state while the west is crumbling. China has troops motivated by legitimate patriotism and ideology and history while US soldiers are only motivated by money and racism and will crumble when faced with a culture as united and advanced as China.

China's corruption goes toward expensive houses and fancy cars in Canada. American corruption goes toward $100 hammers which occasionally makes new F-35s.

LingcodKilla posted:

Pretty sure I said that. Buuuuut specifically their new disposable frigates have a very dangerous antiship missile made for swamping carriers sized targets.

Frigate means it floats, which means the US navy would sit back while strike fighters from Okinawa fly in and hammer the gently caress out of anything bigger than a fishing barge. Then the fleet sails in and does the navy thing. That's more or less what happened during the Desert Storm: air superiority flattened most of what was in the way, and the ground armor played cleanup.

If the navy does have to actually get in a fight, they'll get a budget to actually fight, and that means that railgun project will happen, and the expensive ammo will happen and there will be high fives and hooyahs and maybe prostitutes for the naval brass.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In case everyone was having a rest through the news of the day:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43547044

Pooh-for-life getting a visit from the Chubby Un leading up to the SK/US meeting because the DPRK armored train was spotted in Beijing.

Also, news for the weekend: the Chinese Space Station will be re-entering atmosphere over the weekend

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43551144

Whenever anyone mentions "China's rise" in science and power, I'm going to point to their new Space Station making unplanned Kessler across the upper atmosphere while the Skylab was in space for about the same amount of time, yet managed a controlled re-entry...

... 30 years ago.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

article says they're using silver iodide, which is whatever i guess

i really appreciate that just one degree of separation from this article is a headline that reads "greenpeace says china winning war on urban pollution" - as though you needed more proof that both china AND greenpeace are completely full of poo poo.

To be fair, I'm sure Greenpeace would be okay with China saving the environment by wholesale slaughter of the rural peasantry, but the current policy of throwing them under the figurative bus to save face is kinda the same thing :shrug:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Myriarch posted:

And to be honest it probably won't be that bad, apart from I think the Chinese beef industry (which relies on American feed quite heavily). For most foodstuffs there's actually plenty of alternative supply in Australia and South America.

By "plenty of supply" how much do you mean? Is there a ready amount of export from Australia and South America to match what won't be ordered due to tariffs? Entirely possible some third party country is going to export domestic and import the super cheap tariff excess just to middleman the not-so-small margin a 25% tariff imposes.

caberham posted:

The tariff is actually a big short term boon for non us focused steel industries.

There would be a huge glut of steel due to reduced US demand and drive material prices down
In this kind of way.

And how much do the Chinese actually trust domestic production? I seem to recall the Ikea "Horse Meatball" scandal and a decidedly negative feedback over the Ikea China response.

Economically speaking, if the Chinese middle class is as growing-wealth and rich as China claims, and given the cultural "conspicuous consumption" tendency, just how effective are the tariffs going to be? Or is China going to implement a secret "domestic surcharge" to essentially add a punitive fee to anything from America just to compel businesses to enforce a divestment from American imports?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm trying to think of a premium American food and I can't think of anything that doesn't have a direct and equally prestigious source in another country. e.g. wine, beef, liquor

Every country exports its shittiest beer and everyone else thinks it's "elegant and exotic, a refined taste of the host country"

See PBR, Corona, Stella Artois, Foster's, etc.

As long as it doesn't contain outright explicit poisons and it's stuffed into premium packaging, there's a market for selling your worst to foreign suckers who can't take a personal jet to your country and actually taste the good local stuff.

Hell, even Guinness has issues being exported, mostly because shipping affects the flavor. New "carbonation infusion" cans help, but they're still not authentic flavor.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Power Khan posted:

You have very bad beer opinions, ok?

It's forgiven, but know that shittalking beer can make for uncomfortable encounters in some countries.

I'm stunned myself that the beerchat didn't turn into a round of 6ers and bad blood.

Suffice to say, there's no reason one should buy brand import when a reasonable domestic is just as good and also cheaper. Oh, and also some places are just objectively better for beer in general, but an engineering approach to beer is fine: you don't need perfect, just "good enough"

CIGNX posted:

Apparently it's about fulfilling Confucian gender roles. The Confucian ideal of a woman is to be fragile and helpless, so it becomes manly to come to the rescue of a delicate, feeble woman. When there's a tantrum about doing something laughably easy, it's a way for a woman to appear incapable of handling herself and therefore an opportunity for the man to swoop in and save her. When the tantrums are about buying something, it's almost like saying "I want this but I can't have it, and you're the only one who can get it for me." Again, acting incapable so that the man can come to the rescue. The persistence of the tantrums is a way of reaffirming the man's commitment to the woman.

http://www.heredg.com/2016/05/sa-jiao/
https://www.yoyochinese.com/blog/learn-Mandarin-Chinese-whiny-but-equal-tantrums-sajiao-chinese-feminism-gender-roles

I think also the notion that you've married up because a girl who can't do anything has live the life of a veritable princess in not doing anything.At least there's an actual, historical evidentiary reason for it to be in the culture.

Does that also exclude the notion that only young girls throw tantrums? Kinda wanna see some delightfully pouty 50-year-old doing this to some stony-face guy, but I worry it'll be just as annoying as that video and not at all adorably comedic as it is in my head.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It's less students from abroad and more "the taint of Western ideology". I can't remember where I read another account that mentioned "black foreigners ruining studying in China!" or something xenophobic like that, but at least according to the Wikipedia page(the English one), the protests over the slowness and lack or reform led to growing numbers, and the protesters eventually lost focus and just became the student protest equivalent of the Occupy movement, with no clear goals or paths for reform or negotiation.

Also :holymoley: that link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That girl is hot. What's the female on female version of "plunging"?

I would spelunk her hard...?

I believe one of the euphemisms is "polishing mirrors"? :shrug:

I remember there was one hell of a list of all the slang for it.

Pirate Radar posted:

Maybe something to do with diving, for the abalone puns

"Pearl diving" was another slang.

• Locked thread