Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Which are you? :v:

Shitposting is a proud tradition of my people, please respect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. We've talked about this. There are plenty of things in China that happen elsewhere, but it's a matter of degrees.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I don't teach IELTS but I do essay writing in my history classes, and a lot of their lovely writing is taught to them by their Chinese teachers and I have to constantly try to undo the damage. The Chinese teacher at my school who teaches English writing has no idea how to write in English, as far as I can tell from the results.

It also doesn't help that the TOEFL test appears to require lovely writing. Everything they write for it is godawful garbage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

How bad are the water shortages in China right now? Anything you've noticed day-to-day?

In Sichuan my response is "what water shortages?" I have no idea what you're talking about. The long term picture isn't great but that's true in a lot of the world, unfortunately.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah it's all about cleaning water, it's not like we don't have plenty. If someone figured out a cheap way to clean fresh water or desalinate then the problem would be solved.

Hell if we just had good enough solar to make electricity essentially free then desalination would be fine as-is, who cares how much energy it takes if the sun's doing it all.

Moving the water around is another problem but is fairly solvable, we know how to build pipelines and canals and stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cheap, high efficiency solar is the key tech of the 21st century, I'm more and more convinced. Having energy be extremely cheap and effectively infinite solves so many problems at so many levels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

Not contaminating your fresh water sources is less convoluted though.

There's still a limit to that though. There's too many people and too much agriculture consuming too much water. Not contaminating is good but without efficient cleaning the available fresh water will still run out eventually, we consume it faster than the water cycle can replace it. Especially since even if we took drastic action now, the already too late to do anything about climate change is going to end a whole lot of the mountain snow and glaciers that supply the water.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The article is incorrect. The isotopes in the teeth indicate East Asia or North Africa. The shape of the bones suggests East Asian rather than African. It is possible to determine East Asian through bones if you have the right ones, but "ethnically Chinese" is bullshit, you can't tell that from the available data. North Africans living in London would be no big deal.

It is a very cool find though. We know Romans went to China but this would be the first evidence of any East Asian people making it to the empire. Possibly slaves, resold repeatedly along the trade routes. That'd be the easiest but we are pretty sure Indians lived in the Roman Empire and Roman trade regularly went all the way to China so East Asians could've come too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I see gyms around. There do seem to be vastly more people in spandex handing out flyers than actual gyms though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

lolling at that article

two skeletons that might be from east asia turning up in roman london is really interesting but the article can't help itself

"this changes everything about the history of europe and asia!!!!!"

Here's an article with details that isn't stupid. http://www.caitlingreen.org/2016/09/east-asian-people-roman-london.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

most of the people getting slammed in that video are on bikes. eeeesh.

good

I root for cars to hit bikes that go through reds or are driving the wrong direction and get disappointed when they don't hit them. gently caress those people. Hit them all day every day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Italy was the worst driving I ever saw until Korea. Korea was then the worst until China. I have not gotten below China yet, though I suspect India may.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's hard to picture. I haven't been to either so can't compare.

Like I literally cannot remember the last time I was outside and did not see at least one person driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

around 3:10pm i get this picture from this guy andy, who had gone over to the new office.

This is the best story.

Moving to our new office was a mild shitshow but it doesn't compare at all to yours.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I'm taking a holiday in China near the end of October, what's good?

Where are you going? Sichuan is the place to be to get fat and late October the weather is decent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Today I asked students to name a hero from Chinese history and all of them said Mao immediately. It took a second for me to contain my disgust before I could continue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

What am I looking at here?

World's worst bank robbery?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I really wonder if people here understand pettiness or if it's a cultural concept that doesn't translate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jeoh posted:

the best part is that the cop is just standing there with his baton while another guy does his job

Imagine what rent-a-cops are like in a country where actual cops almost never do their jobs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

How are you able to stay in this country? This would infuriate me beyond measure, especially when surrounded by people so ineffectual and lazy. Do the Chinese not have any concept of self-criticahh who am I kidding we know they don't.

I deal with it by loving with them. It's not just a China thing, they also treat you like that in Korea. The idea that someone of another race is capable of literally anything is mind-blowing. I've had people argue with me that as a foreigner there is no possible way for me to make kimchi while they are eating the kimchi I made and brought in for feedback. I have heard similar stories from Japan but haven't lived there so I can't verify.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's an honest question there are cultural ideas that don't really translate to other cultures. Pettiness, being the bigger person, finding the thrower of a poo poo fit pathetic, these are all things that China doesn't seem to have and I don't know if it's just a completely foreign idea or what.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

and if people assume you are IRL incompetent you can do normal work and blow everyone away. Like people are still floored when I finish a days work in a day and not a week and a half. They simply can't handle it.

This is true. You can make yourself look like the king of hard work without actually doing much just by getting your work done efficiently instead of spending nine hours on Taobao looking at shoes.

My bosses are Hong Kongers who lived in the US for 30+ years, which is nice because it vastly decreases the China bullshit I have to deal with at work but it does mean I have to actually put in effort. Coworkers are easily impressed though.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i know i was echoing the usual response give

Is cool man I got it, I just like to seriouspost when I actually want to know something :hf:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I will say here in Sichuan there is a lot more food knowledge and while people initially think it's odd that a man knows how to cook, they don't try to actively deny it the way they did in Korea.

Assuming everything will be hosed up always is the way to go. If you go into a situation assuming it will work efficiently, you will be frustrated. When things do work, it's a nice surprise to enjoy. You have to act as if anywhere you go, it's everyone's first day working there and also possibly their first day on Earth. They simply sprung into existence, fully formed, with no memories or life experience prior to your encounter with them. No one has ever done anything before or knows anything about it, even if it's a job they've been doing for decades.

When you do find competent people you treasure them and hold on with both hands. The woman who runs the office where I work is the most competent person I've ever worked with in Asia and is more capable than the entire rest of the company combined. The only reason anything works is because she is there. I think every foreign employee would quit immediately if she left.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had a lot of hope it was a development thing since so much of the crazy poo poo in China is so very similar to the crazy poo poo in the US in the 1800s, but then I was reading more Chinese history and the complaints you see from Europeans visiting in the 1700s/1800s are 90% exactly the same things that people are doing today. The Mao era didn't help but I don't think blaming it works either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chinese domestic TV is:

Game/dating shows copied from South Korea/Japan.
Costume dramas about the Tang Dynasty or other historical periods when China was cool.
1930s shows where plucky Chinese go around killing the Japanese.
Journey to the West retreads.

If there are exceptions I've never seen them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah for sure. I don't know if that should be its own category or part of the historical one since Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a mix of fiction and history.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

[Advertisement for new pizza placing doing delivery]

Reply: i m a Chinese.In Chengdu Sichuan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

That loving ladder.

That ladder speaks volumes.

That's the standard construction ladder here. My favorite OSHA thing is when a guy is standing at the top of it, leg on each side, and then starts walking around with it using it like stilts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know enough about ladders to see why that one is particularly bad. They always look flimsy as hell to me but I've never seen one break.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

you have saved face for your chinese friends and/or the chinese goons who don't want to post here, +5 points for you for them

As usual I have no idea what you're talking about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did China get into vuvuzelas when that was a thing? I wasn't here and Korea only did a little bit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, one of the Firaxis people posted about it on Reddit. It wasn't their choice, so Civ 6 will probably be similar.

E: I'm waiting for the Korean butthurt about Korea being reduced from a full civ to a city-state.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 4, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

is it bad that this part

quote:

Ice cream was invented in China around 2000 BC: the Chinese packed milk and soft rice together in the snow to make the treat. Marco Polo took the recipes for ice cream and noodles back with him to Europe.

is what annoyed me the most? Pasta goes back to at least the Romans and I'm almost certain ice cream was invented in Persia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah but I'm thinking specifically something we recognize as ice cream, using milk. Milk was never really a thing in China except when they would get conquered by steppe people who drank it. And there's a small non-Han ethnic group in Yunnan that has a historical cheesemaking tradition.

I dunno, I'm not sure about ice cream but I know the noodle thing is 100% bullshit that was invented in the US as a marketing thing to sell pasta back when Italian food was still exotic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No it's the most popular recreational activity. It can be for drinking and hookers but it's even more commonly just for the singing. KTV and shopping are basically the only things my girl students do as far as I can tell, for the guys replace shopping with DOTA. Also grindy phone games for both.

For old people in Sichuan the main activities are staring at things and playing majiang or the one card game that exists here for 16 hours straight.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China is a great place to visit on vacation. I 100% recommend it. Living here is where you get the real bullshit, for a vacation it's no big deal. There's cool things to see and great food and street making GBS threads is a fun story when it's vacation and you don't have to live with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I live in the city near a subway station. I have some specific complaints about Chengdu but most things are just about China generally, I don't think they're any different in other places.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I lived in the middle of nowhere in company housing when I first arrived, but I moved into the city a good while back because gently caress that noise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sunday I was outside for literally under three minutes before I saw my first street making GBS threads in progress, it was quite a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd say I average two street poo poo sightings a month if I'm including both active ones and human turds left behind.

Anyone have first-hand experience with car maintenance here? I can imagine what it's like but I was thinking about it the other day as we passed three abandoned cars in the ring road on the way to work. I've pretty confident I've seen more disabled and abandoned cars in a couple years here than my entire life previously and I don't know why.

• Locked thread