Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koreans were stoked when China restricted travel there and I bet Thais would have the same reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fish and chips and dip posted:

Pilots investigated, suspected of smoking in cockpit, after Air China flight from Hong Kong to Dalian drops 25,000 feet in 10 minutes":

How... are these two things connected?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That makes sense. So is that tampering with, disabling, or destroying? :thunk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

underage at the vape shop posted:

Some serious face loss spotted in Munich

Since I teach (taught I guess, I'm done) history here I've always had a unit about the origins of civilization. All of my students have always said Egypt is the world's oldest civilization, so I think this is accepted here.

Then I get to blow minds of the three students paying attention that the next oldest was in Peru and they've never heard of it. Civilization... in the Americas????

(then we get to how this is all arbitrary and meaningless)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

My wife has wanted a nice wall map for our apartment so she finally got one at costco. It was printed this year and also claims to have all flags of the world.
Taiwan is shaded the same as China and has no flag on the map, Tibet has no internal border within China shown or even a "tibet" label at all.
"Printed in China", ah.

Tibet at least is not in any way an independent entity. Even the Dalai Lama doesn't dispute that anymore.

Tibet should be treated better but there is absolutely zero chance it will ever be independent short of the PRC collapsing entirely. Free Tibet is a long lost cause, Stop Treating Tibet Like poo poo is reasonable though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't they bulldoze an almost impossibly cool looking holy city lately.

Yep, here in the Tibetan part of Sichuan. It's still being destroyed and remade so travel there is restricted. Always wanted to go and never had the chance. It was the largest religious complex in the world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

thats not a name but yeah, probably that one

Sorry didn't know you were looking for the name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larung_Gar

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

coolusername posted:

A student has made it her life's mission to feed me Weird poo poo. This ranges from Sichuan cooking (surprisingly I could handle the spice when normally I am a crybaby)

Sichuan food isn't spicy. Try Hunan or Guizhou.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

This assumes people know the actual answer. Running the appropriate metrology is expensive and only leads to the answer no one wants.

Two fun fact I discovered when teaching geology here:

A) Surveys of fault lines to avoid, you know, building on top of an active fault have not been done in most earthquake zones.

B) Even if they had been done, geological maps are state secrets and it's illegal to access one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fish and chips and dip posted:

You should also see the reactions when a Chinese person is murdered outside of China. But I guess the Chinese are always the victims no matter what.

5000 years of humiliation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

McGavin posted:

making GBS threads yourself, but with a raging erection.

Do you not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

More Dale.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queef, incel, Arnold, pozzed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Skeleton King posted:

The article from CNN said they claim it uses a lithium ion battery about the size of a common assault rifle magazine. I don’t know laser engineering, but I do know enough to have a very light understanding of what you are talking about, namely the fact that you need absurd amounts of energy to do anything worthwhile with a laser weapon.

So yeah, as I thought the Chinese are full of poo poo. I don’t know poo poo about laser engineering, but I was also skeptical when they said the power source was so small. Unless there’s some wizardry you can do to get more power out of less fuel I’m assuming they’re full of poo poo.

They are. The problem with laser weaponry nowadays isn't the laser, it's the power source. How much it can hold, how fast it can discharge. The new US carriers will eventually mount lasers, which is feasible because they have an entire extra nuclear reactor for powering them. Portable blinding laser weapons are doable since the energy required to blind someone is a hell of a lot lower than for a sci-fi pew pew laser thing.

A thousand shots out of a laser rifle in 2018 is something your friend's uncle who works at Nintendo talks about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

deer in the headlights stare back or someone look really confused.

I get this response, occasionally with "is the foreigner speaking Chinese?" added on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

“I often wash the toilets until they don’t smell anymore,”

Well laa dee daa aren't we fancy making the toilet not stink sometimes, is the queen coming by for brunch?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I always was fairly critical of the US in my American history course, both for appropriateness (Vietnam, for example) and to show my Chinese students it's fine to critically evaluate your own country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, good to... know? Good? To know.

I always figured it started in Korea and got brought over to Vietnam because it’s just our catch-all slur against Asians other than Chinese and Japanese

The earliest written mention of it I found is actually referring to Haitians in 1920. It seems to have been a catch all slur for enemies until Vietnam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Academia is great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We're much better equipped with shitposts than you'd imagine for our thread's size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Would it be legal or not to wear a Taiwanese flag shirt around in China?

One of my mainland coworkers in Chengdu wore one at school semi-regularly and nobody ever seemed to give a poo poo.

• Locked thread