Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm going to make my post hyper local, because generalizing New York City (a city of 8 million) and even all of Brooklyn (it's far more diverse than the media and pop culture would have you believe) is a fool's errand.

I live in the Kensington neighborhood of Brooklyn. Bangladeshis make up the biggest ethnic group here. When you get off of the subway stop that I live near, you're greeted with awnings written in Bengali, and there are many men and women wearing Islamic garb. I've even seen a few kids wearing Bangladeshi national team cricket shirts. Like a lot of ethnic enclaves in New York City, the Bangladeshi community here is working- and middle-class, and there are plenty of non-citizens living here waiting and hoping to become citizens. Since a lot of the taxi drivers here are Bangladeshi, it's pretty common to see a yellow or green cab parked and not in use.

As for everyone else: you've got a fair amount of younger people moving here, but as of now, new construction for luxury apartments is nonexistent, from what I've seen. There are also a fair amount of Orthodox Jews here, a sort of spillover from Borough Park. I've heard Russian spoken here too, and I've seen a fair amount of Latinos- mostly Mexican, specifically, since I've seen plenty of Mexican stores near where I live and just before you get to the heart of the Hasidic area of Borough Park. The only nearby neighborhood ethnicity with no spillover are the black West Indians from Flatbush, which is further east.

In the city council and NY State Assembly, the representatives are typically from further north in Park Slope. In the State Senate, we're at the mercy of the Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods of Borough Park and Midwood, so we're stuck with a right-wing Democrat who caucuses with the Republicans in the chamber for as long as he wants to stay.

KiteAuraan posted:

Also, I've known a lot of people in the law enforcement community here, mostly local departments, and they, and everyone they have ever worked with, loving hate Joe Arpaio, which is another interesting twist to local politics.
That doesn't surprise me, because for all his tough talk on Latino rhetoric and the concentration camps that he uses to back it up, Arpaio is remarkably lovely at his actual job. I remember reading a year or two ago that crime has been going down everywhere in Arizona except in Maricopa County. Is that still true?

By the way, I really wish every article written about Arpaio reminds people that the county isn't some backwater expanse where a couple hundred thousand people live, but a major metropolitan area. The media does a great disservice by not explicitly pointing that out at every chance they get, because otherwise people get the impression that he's a feudal lord of a small, backwards part of the country. I know I did until recently.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread