Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I live in Capitol Hill, Washington DC. It's thirtysomething professionals and twentysomething interns, leveraged to the eyeballs on student loans. Extremely diverse in a superficial (race, orientation, national origin) sense; extremely archetypical in a substantive sense. Everyone has a master's degree or higher, it seems like half the local population are lawyers, very few children around. No Poors in the immediate neighborhood, as they were gentrified across the Anacostia years ago. No one around here would admit to being socially conservative. Fewer would admit to supporting Donald Trump - locally his supporters are known as "varmints."

It's a cool playground, but probably disgusting seen from anywhere else.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Do people also act like 80,000 dollars a year is lower middle class, and that more than 25 miles from the city is the wilderness?

Yes to both. $100k is poverty here, and wilderness begins in NoVa.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Sounds like Floribama.

Wha, no one here lives in a Place with social and economic groups?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Its more that people take for granted that whatever socioeconomic groups are around them are universal. Definitions of what "moderate" "middle class" "suburban" or any other class of voters is vary across the country so much, but people think they are talking about the same thing. In Ohio, a "moderate, middle-class, suburban voter" is a Republican with a high school education who lives in a city of 100,000 people and works as the manager of an autoparts store, and considers that while Trump might go too far, he is still better than Hillary. In Colorado, a "moderate, middle-class, suburban voter" is a Democrat with strong environmental leanings who practices yoga, has a Master's degree, and lives in a town of 10,000 where he telecommutes as a software developer. The problem is that many people, especially in the old, parochial East Coast, kind of just assume that the definitions they are used to are true everywhere.

I certainly don't take for granted my surroundings. I grew up in a boring and frozen corner of the Midwest, and blew the place the day I graduated high school. I love living in the obnoxiously wealthy and well-educated bubble that is yuppie DC. New York is the only other place I can imagine living. I don't want to live around uneducated varmint Trump voters or poors - I like my ethnic restaurants and expensive apartment and public transit.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

But that is still kind of a binary scale: poor equals rural and conservative.

There are places in the Western states, mostly college or resort towns, where you could be living in a town of 50,000, and people are going to be well educated, and there are going to be lots of ethnic restaurants. Not that it is a paradise in the Western states, but the entire paradigm of "the East Coast versus the poor hinterlands of Ohio" doesn't hold for the entire country.

Of course - Minneapolis is a bigger version of that. Places like Boulder and Eugene seem very pleasant too, in a smug and self-congratulatory sort of earth-muffinry.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

The Phoenix Metro is as diverse as any other big city and you see a lot of different things, that's the problem with the national reporting, you just get this impression that it's all angry white people and suburban strip malls, and while that's true for some areas it's not universal and honestly I feel that the future of the area is like most other big urban areas. It's going blue, just give it a bit longer.

I feel like the future for Phoenix is a very serious water crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

computer parts posted:

I never really had much experience with Jews in general, it's much more of a Northeast thing outside of Southern California anyway.

Related, here's a map of second most common religious tradition by state:

It certainly backs up my experiences in Texas - Muslims out the wazoo, very few Jews.

We are shapeshifters. Most of the time you won't even notice the Jewishness. People usually guess Italian or Greek for me.

• Locked thread