Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
If I lived my life in constant terror that I might look uncool because idiots might like the same thing as me I'd never be able to enjoy anything at all.

e: and it's not just Sriracha that people get weird about.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Bufalo salsa chipotle is fantastic for just about anything.

Also, not exactly a hot sauce, but pickapeppa is drat good too.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
most hot sauces are good imho i think i have like 5 different kinds at least in the kitchen the point is to have a variety

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I try to keep a bunch of different kinds around too, but my neck of soCal is surprisingly barren of variety in the hot sauce aisle, and far too many of the minor brands around here are vague jalapeno-based fluids that are often bitter, devoid of character, and genuinely do suck.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 19, 2016

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
You speak the truth man. All hot sauces can be good in the right context. Some dishes are good with a vinegar based sauce, some are good with a drop of the high heat stuff, some are made magnificent with a only slightly hot green sauce. All hot sauces matter.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Compenstating for a comically small package with novelty underwear.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I use this poo poo which is really hot but still recognizably wing sauce, adds a ton of heat and really nice flavour to anything from salsas to meat sauces

got it front some place on decatur in NO where you get a discount if you manage to taste their hottest pepper extract and not die

dont u worry
Sep 19, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
jew slut

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

Compenstating for a comically small package with novelty underwear.

seriously never seen a dude have a camel toe before :laugh:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Frank's Red Hot is a good go-to and you should always have a bottle in stock, but loving lol if that's your #1 favorite hot sauce.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Sphincter-Shrinker-XXX-Hot-Sauce-p/1238ss.htm

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 19, 2016

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This one is really good too, if you like pepper sauces.

I've had this, it's good, but it's more like a really spicy bbq sauce than what you'd normally expect from a hot sauce

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
hot sauce is for idiots with bad taste buds that cant enjoy regular food

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

vols bitch posted:

I'm glad you're getting chain probied

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

CJacobs posted:

I'm glad you're getting chain probied

this is the first post ive ever seen from you

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

vols bitch posted:

turn your monitor on

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

vols bitch posted:

Wow defensive much??

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

You want something that tastes good and is hot.

You want something that tastes good and is really hot.

What's the point with anything hotter?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

vols bitch posted:

look how stupid you are

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

notZaar posted:

Wow defensive much??

put my hot sauce in your bhole

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

I got this stuff as a gift a year or so ago and now I've abused it to such excess that I'm desensitized. I made a spaghetti sauce with a drop in it the other day and my girlfriend had to sit on our patio until I aired the kitchen out.

This stuff is very good without being too over the top, but most people tell me its too spicy to enjoy

As far as not spicy sauces go this is my favorite and I really applaud McIlhenny for not loving one of the non-original flavors up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

Melinda's Naga Jolokia is the best hot sauce (though ridiculously expensive to buy through the internet, and not easy to find otherwise.)

I went to a store of many hot sauces that had a tasting, and of their selection of hot sauces for jerks who like their hot sauce hot, this was the tastiest. Not the hottest, but flavorful.

Edit: ghost pepper high five with the poster above.

Melinda's is one of my favorites. Their XXX and XXXX sauces are amazing, and the Naga Jolokia and Ghost Pepper ones are really drat good too.

Strangely enough, my go-to source for Melinda's is TJ Maxx. They have a small fancy-foods section and they frequently have different varieties of Melinda's for like $2.99 a bottle :woop:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

the only reason to use hot source is if you eat filthy, unsafe american food and need to mask the scent of decay

vols bitch posted:

crybaby idiots chiming in that hot sauce makes their tongues hurt are always good for a laugh, especially the weird justifications they use

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Weed Dad posted:

As far as not spicy sauces go this is my favorite and I really applaud McIlhenny for not loving one of the non-original flavors up

I always thought the green tabasco had a really great taste, but its not as hot as I'd like.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
people who try to push their dumbass designer extra spicy hotsauces are shitlords

i like tabasco, sriacha, and the green chinese hot sauce with the dragon from trader joes

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
All the bases a hot food aficianado needs to cover:

-Louisiana hot sauce. Any variety will do as this is more of a class of hot sauces. It's basically just cayenne pepper in vinegar. It's the ketchup of the hot sauce world, and sometimes it's the right tool for the job. Great to slather on burritos, chili, actual Cajun food.

-Tobasco. Hotter than Louisiana and with a distinct, smoky flavor that not everyone appreciates. Best on pizza and eggs.

-One or more Mexican hot sauces. Often with thicker salsa/gravy consistency. Great on Mexican-type things, and usually anything. There are many internet wars between Tapatio, Cholula, and Valentino's. Most people tend to agree Tapatio has a sweet flavor that alters food profiles so it's for specific applications. Cholula is a generic great with chips salsa. Valentino's comes in great vats and some fat rear end in a top hat at work probably keeps a gallon jug of it in the fridge so he/she can have bad farts. Not that Valentino's is bad, but a lot of bad people prefer it. Just sayin'.

-Frank's Red Hot. The original wing sauce, and still the best for wings'n'things. I also loving love it on pierogies.

-Something manga habanero. There's a zillion of these, you can pick up a hot sauce sampler pack from Wal Mart and it will probably have one of these and it will still be good. Great on your goddamn finger. I don't pick these up often because they're addictive as all hell.

-Chili paste. Sriracha is just the most popular brand here. Any Chinese or Thai (or Mediterranean, or...) chili paste will do. It's basically whole red peppers in suspension, usually with some garlic and other spices to round things out. Once you have any of these, you're a step close to preparing dozens of cuisines from Mexican to Chinese to Thai to Turkish to goddamn just cook with this stuff already. They tend to look like this example also made by the Sriracha company:

On heat hounds:

gently caress heat hounds. People obsess over "the hottest hot sauce" way too goddamn much. So many of these assholes will say they had raw capsaicin crystals and didn't feel anything so they have to wash their face in ghost peppers or spray bear mace directly onto their rear end in a top hat to get their dick hard. The level of idiocy is palpable. Nobody cares. Hot food is a case where all that matters is using the right tool for the job. Sometimes that's a dash of cayenne pepper, sometimes it's pan-blackened thai chiles, sometimes it's Tobasco.

edit: Honorable mention to Tobasco's assorted flavors, Chipotle flavor isn't very hot but it's goddamn good. Only left out because of the insane white woman craze from a few years ago when they wanted "CHI-POLE-TAY" on goddamn everything... "so long as it's not spicy, it's not spicy is it?"

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

the great deceiver posted:

louisiana crystal motherfuckers

this is the poo poo right here... but you have to pronounce it "cristaaaaahl" like the champagne to really get it

fuckin' good stuff

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I like frank's red hot because nothing else quite matches the flavor sensation of chugging vinegar.

That was sarcasm fyi

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

For a good flavorful sauce that still has a pretty respectable punch, I really like Heartbreaking Dawns' 1498 sauce. It's made from Trinidad scorpion so its got hella heat but it balances with the fruit flavor (think mainly apricot). It even works on ice cream.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I like hot sauces for the pepper/spicyness and vinegar, or the garlic in sriracha, etc., to compliment or enhance whatever I'm eating. What's the drat point of having something so hot you can't taste anything else anyway?

I got my husband into hot sauce and he really likes frank's red hot wing sauce and, lol, he puts that poo poo on everything. Burgers, hot dogs, pasta, fries... I like most of the cheaper ones like louisiana crystal, texas pete, sriracha, tabasco, etc. and they do what I need them to. :) Hot sauce on eggs is great. I like sriracha for that specifically.

My dad has made plenty of his own hot sauce and it's nice but much hotter. I like seasoning food! It's good~

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yea, yea I'm a basic bitch hot sauce user because I like this stuff:

But the pain is so tasty

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Idk, never been much of a fan of daves insanity. I feel like you can taste the fact that it's made from capsaicin extract.... so there's like a separate chemical heat that doesn't really blend with the rest of the flavor. It works really well for adding to food to heat it up though. Not to diss anybody who likes it or any other sauces though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Nothing beats Dinosaur BBQ and their sauces imo. Plus it has a t-rex dueling a devil on the bottle.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

a bone to pick posted:

I always thought the green tabasco had a really great taste, but its not as hot as I'd like.

I completely agree, it goes good with just about everything I've tried it on though. Shame they don't make a version with a bit more kick.

While we are on this subject does anyone here do hot sauce on popcorn? If not, I'd definitely recommend it!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It's Valentina

Also Texas Pete is good. I love the pepper sauce. It's green Tabasco peppers marinating in vinegar and is awesome on veggies.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i like this stuff:

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 19, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

When I'm feeling a bit brave and adventurous I'll put a squirt of this bad boy on my hoagie.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

revdrkevind posted:

All the bases a hot food aficianado needs to cover:

-Louisiana hot sauce. Any variety will do as this is more of a class of hot sauces. It's basically just cayenne pepper in vinegar. It's the ketchup of the hot sauce world, and sometimes it's the right tool for the job. Great to slather on burritos, chili, actual Cajun food.

-Tobasco. Hotter than Louisiana and with a distinct, smoky flavor that not everyone appreciates. Best on pizza and eggs.

-One or more Mexican hot sauces. Often with thicker salsa/gravy consistency. Great on Mexican-type things, and usually anything. There are many internet wars between Tapatio, Cholula, and Valentino's. Most people tend to agree Tapatio has a sweet flavor that alters food profiles so it's for specific applications. Cholula is a generic great with chips salsa. Valentino's comes in great vats and some fat rear end in a top hat at work probably keeps a gallon jug of it in the fridge so he/she can have bad farts. Not that Valentino's is bad, but a lot of bad people prefer it. Just sayin'.

-Frank's Red Hot. The original wing sauce, and still the best for wings'n'things. I also loving love it on pierogies.

-Something manga habanero. There's a zillion of these, you can pick up a hot sauce sampler pack from Wal Mart and it will probably have one of these and it will still be good. Great on your goddamn finger. I don't pick these up often because they're addictive as all hell.

-Chili paste. Sriracha is just the most popular brand here. Any Chinese or Thai (or Mediterranean, or...) chili paste will do. It's basically whole red peppers in suspension, usually with some garlic and other spices to round things out. Once you have any of these, you're a step close to preparing dozens of cuisines from Mexican to Chinese to Thai to Turkish to goddamn just cook with this stuff already. They tend to look like this example also made by the Sriracha company:

On heat hounds:

gently caress heat hounds. People obsess over "the hottest hot sauce" way too goddamn much. So many of these assholes will say they had raw capsaicin crystals and didn't feel anything so they have to wash their face in ghost peppers or spray bear mace directly onto their rear end in a top hat to get their dick hard. The level of idiocy is palpable. Nobody cares. Hot food is a case where all that matters is using the right tool for the job. Sometimes that's a dash of cayenne pepper, sometimes it's pan-blackened thai chiles, sometimes it's Tobasco.

edit: Honorable mention to Tobasco's assorted flavors, Chipotle flavor isn't very hot but it's goddamn good. Only left out because of the insane white woman craze from a few years ago when they wanted "CHI-POLE-TAY" on goddamn everything... "so long as it's not spicy, it's not spicy is it?"

this post is true and good

chipotle tabasco and the Louisiana original are my go to

I need to try that trader joes green dragon one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
McIlhenny Tabasco Chipotle hot sauce is one of my favorites based on flavor, as far as super spicy hot sauces I like the habanero based ones because i'm not a huge fan of the taste of scorpion peppers, though it's hard to find ones that are really that hot.

• Locked thread