Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again

The Management posted:

poor people not understanding a money thing, trumpatar to the rescue.

leasing is paying depreciation. it is effectively the same as buying except that you don't need to put down or finance the entire value of the vehicle. if you want to keep your car for a short term (usually 3 years or less), it makes more sense than buying.

that other dude has a serious misconception about what the purpose of leasing is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's more fun to see people making $40K a year rage out when you ask them they they're renting their Audi A4 than it is to discuss depreciation or talk about it seriously.

Apr 7, 2003

jigglemaster7 posted:

that other dude has a serious misconception about what the purpose of leasing is

The purpose of leasing (renting) is to drive a car you can't afford, see also the $799/mo Porsche Cayenne lease.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's more fun to see people making $40K a year rage out when you ask them they they're renting their Audi A4 than it is to discuss depreciation or talk about it seriously.

wrong, i loving love talking about depreciation and leasing.

Apr 7, 2003

(There are a lot more people out there using leases to drive a car they can't afford than there are people balancing depreciation vs cost of ownership, but I'm sure you know that.)

Apr 7, 2003

Dislike button posted:

wrong, i loving love talking about depreciation and leasing.

You hulked out and called my wife ugly because I made fun of people who rent their cars. Pretty hosed up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jigglemaster7 posted:

many people do. they are usually poor or bad with money

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

many people do. they are usually poor or bad with money

It's me, I'm the 27 year old who spends half his monthly net income renting a Porsche Cayenne (pardon me, "leasing") because he couldn't afford one any other way.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

You hulked out and called my wife ugly because I made fun of people who rent their cars. Pretty hosed up.

that comment was a generalization and not directed towards you. im sure shes a very pretty lady

i always though it was funny when people thought someone elses girlfriend or wife or whatever wasnt attractive and commented so, because they don't have to gently caress that person, so who gives a poo poo what they think?

Apr 7, 2003

Dislike button posted:

that comment was a generalization and not directed towards you. im sure shes a very pretty lady

i always though it was funny when people thought someone elses girlfriend or wife or whatever wasnt attractive and commented so, because they don't have to gently caress that person, so who gives a poo poo what they think?

Hmm.

Apr 7, 2003

Renting your girlfriend/wife is called "prostitution," and renting your car is called "leasing."

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's me, I'm the 27 year old who spends half his monthly net income renting a Porsche Cayenne (pardon me, "leasing") because he couldn't afford one any other way.

okay thats the total opposite of my situation, i dont like being verbally assaulted for no reason

Apr 7, 2003

jigglemaster7 posted:

okay thats the total opposite of my situation, i dont like being verbally assaulted for no reason

You didn't answer my question, are you also unable to afford a home and rent that too?

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Citizen Tayne posted:

You didn't answer my question, are you also unable to afford a home and rent that too?

Of course i own a house, i even own other houses that people "rent" from me

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

sorry for you are lots.

Apr 7, 2003

jigglemaster7 posted:

Of course i own a house, i even own other houses that people "rent" from me

Man exploits poors even as he is exploited as a poor. Life is truly multifaceted.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
all of yospos grieves with you friend

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Citizen Tayne posted:

Man exploits poors even as he is exploited as a poor. Life is truly multifaceted.

Its a sad cycle of poverty that consumes us all

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
look on the brightside: since its a lease you can just turn it back in at the pre-arranged price and get one with carplay, instead of being stuck with a lovely car that depreciates faster when carplay is made standard.

Apr 7, 2003

I plan on driving my car for ten years so I just bought it.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Citizen Tayne posted:

I plan on driving my car for ten years so I just bought it.

I think about it like, im not poor so losing the cost of a wrx sti doesnt matter to me

Apr 7, 2003

jigglemaster7 posted:

I think about it like, im not poor so losing the cost of a wrx sti doesnt matter to me

I drive one day a week. Paying real money for something I just use to get groceries is stupid.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

poor people not understanding a money thing, trumpatar to the rescue.

leasing is paying depreciation. it is effectively the same as buying except that you don't need to put down or finance the entire value of the vehicle. if you want to keep your car for a short term (usually 3 years or less), it makes more sense than buying.

so in other words, it only makes sense if you always want to have a new car, i.e. if you have the money to buy cars out of desire and not need

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

so in other words, it only makes sense if you always want to have a new car, i.e. if you have the money to buy cars out of desire and not need

yes

Apr 7, 2003

Poor people constantly need new things, hence the auto lease.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i like car

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I drive one day a week. Paying real money for something I just use to get groceries is stupid.

maybe u should drive more

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet posted:

maybe u should drive more

lol why would I torture myself like that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gas

Apr 7, 2003

I'm imagining a world where I'm so poor that I need to lease my car, and it's a dark world indeed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i don't see what your problem is tori, whenever i rent a car and it doesn't come with good bluetooth equipment i get kinda annoyed too

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

i don't see what your problem is tori, whenever i rent a car and it doesn't come with good bluetooth equipment i get kinda annoyed too

forget it, it's tori

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I lease poo poo all the time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

leasing is for people who can't afford it. if you're worried about depreciation on an S Class, you can't afford it.

Audi says that nine out of ten of their cars in the US are leased, so most Audi drivers can't afford their cars, too.

fortunately, if you can afford the car, you can also get an extremely low interest loan

then you can put that money in something paying a higher return while paying off the car over time

it's p amazing how many avenues open up for saving money once you don't actually need to, almost like the entire system is designed to help the wealthy keep and increase their wealth

Apr 7, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I lease poo poo all the time

American car leases are for people who can't afford to buy.

Can't absorb $30K in depreciation in three years? rent it!

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

fortunately, if you can afford the car, you can also get an extremely low interest loan

then you can put that money in something paying a higher return while paying off the car over time

it's p amazing how many avenues open up for saving money once you don't actually need to, almost like the entire system is designed to help the wealthy keep and increase their wealth

My Outback loan is at 0.9% APR. lol. Beats leasing.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I also lease out hundreds of acres of land because I am not a farmer.

basically get paid to do gently caress all. leasing works.

Apr 7, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I also lease out hundreds of acres of land because I am not a farmer.

basically get paid to do gently caress all. leasing works.

Pretend you're a car manufacturer and you're leasing cars to people who can't afford to buy them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

My Outback loan is at 0.9% APR. lol. Beats leasing.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

hell yeah

I plan on driving my Outback for 10-16 years. People who lease want a new car every three years. I feel bad for them. So much money wasted.

• Locked thread