Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well yeah cause a minmaxed 1.8L 4cyl only makes significant power above 4500 rpm now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
good, hi speed torque is what we want

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
piston speed is proportional to rpm squared, hard on an engine. hondas dont go 9000 rpm because they can, they go 9000 rpm because they have to in order to move
my car's basically cvt, you can go 20mph in fourth, or you can go 120mph in fourth

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
better to choke an engine with carbon by never revving over 2500 than to burn out a ring or two lol yeah right

spin that poo poo son, leave the low revs for tractors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

piston speed is proportional to rpm squared, hard on an engine. hondas dont go 9000 rpm because they can, they go 9000 rpm because they have to in order to move
my car's basically cvt, you can go 20mph in fourth, or you can go 120mph in fourth

horsepower is also proportional to RPM

that's how a racing motorcycle can produce 200hp/L, naturally aspirated

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah hp means nothing though. its just your upper speed limit

this is why it _doesn't matter_ that cars had 140 hp in 1977. they still had the torque, and thats what you need for drivability

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lol i finally opened this thread and holy moly the first half dozen pages were quite something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah hp means nothing though. its just your upper speed limit

uh, not really. with the right gearing it's acceleration too

like, those superbikes are barely idling at 2000, start to make power around 8k, and peak at 13-15k or so. you've got three or four times as many power strokes for every wheel rotation as you would in a car. they still peak at under 100lb-ft of torque, but it'll get you to 60 in <2.8s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look man if you wanna go through 13 gears every stoplight thats fine. i prefer some powerband. it makes driving so much easier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dude, a 1000cc supersport can break the interstate speed limit without leaving first gear. torque and power out the everywhere.

(that's why they suck for general street use)

i want an electric bike though for the same reason

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Panty Saluter posted:

a cvt holds at peak power when u accelerate, its p. cool

but aren't all cvts garbage that can't handle power so you get a bad car or a cvt that isn't actually letting you accelerate because your engine is limited?

this may not be the case anymore but when cvts were first a thing, they were poo poo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my car has 6 gears and revs a Toyota celiac motor to 10,000 rpm and it is p good, from what I can tell. everyone get a lotus, you will not regret it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Toyota celiac

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Toyota celiac

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pwned by autocorrect. I will concede this one.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have a big comfortable car that has a powerful engine like a rich old person. I don't have to operate the transmission, there's a computer that does that for me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
shifting by hand is cool b/c after a while you dont even think about it. but automatic failure drivers never give it a chance and get to that point. its like playing piano, they try to learn chopsticks and go gently caress THIS and quit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

if I can get me sweet Internet hook up from my farm then I won't have to commute or see anybody ever everybody wins

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah hp means nothing though.

not after what fiorina did

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cvt is awful poo poo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Management posted:

I have a big comfortable car that has a powerful engine like a rich old person. I don't have to operate the transmission, there's a computer that does that for me.

like I said, youre trusting youre life to a drunk/high/hungover software developer who probably doesnt even bother to rename the variables in the code he just copied off experts exchange.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

eschaton posted:

not after what fiorina did

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

cvt is awful poo poo.

cvts are cool & good, they get good gas mileage

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mishaq posted:

cvts are cool & good, they get good gas mileage
no. bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol if you give a gently caress about fuel cost just lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every time somebody mentions mpg in here im going to idle my v8 for 10 minutes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you care about the performance of your gear shifting in between lights and bumper to bumper traffic congestion

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

driving anything but a manual (a real one with a clutch) is a boring chore and since they're gradually being phased out I think I'll eventually just stop driving all together, which is probably for the best.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only cool af thing about night shift is that you commute against traffic

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ADINSX posted:

driving anything but a manual (a real one with a clutch) is a boring chore and since they're gradually being phased out I think I'll just stop driving all together, which is probably for the best.

im hope to never have to drive regularly ever again soon

currently down to 3 days a week

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mishaq posted:

im hope to never have to drive regularly ever again soon

currently down to 3 days a week

living in Seattle has really ruined the experience for me. The traffic is so absurdly bad here.

I usually take the bus to work, but sometimes take the motorcycle. Its one of the most bicycle friendly cities in America but I just don't like riding a bike

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ADINSX posted:

driving anything but a manual (a real one with a clutch) is a boring chore and since they're gradually being phased out I think I'll eventually just stop driving all together, which is probably for the best.

I'm jumping straight to electric whenever that becomes economic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
coal powered cars lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

every time somebody mentions mpg in here im going to idle my v8 for 10 minutes

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADINSX posted:

get a motorcycle. they're basically all still manual and there's something super viscerally satisfying about shifting with your foot. it's like digging in the spurs on a horse.

mishaq posted:

lol if you care about the performance of your gear shifting in between lights and bumper to bumper traffic congestion

the people who want the most "performance" get dual-clutch automatics these days because they're faster and more accurate than a human. the people who care about the activity of driving get manuals.

i'll bet you've never even heard of 人馬一体

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

get a motorcycle. they're basically all still manual and there's something super viscerally satisfying about shifting with your foot. it's like digging in the spurs on a horse.

the people who want the most "performance" get dual-clutch automatics these days because they're faster and more accurate than a human. the people who care about the activity of driving get manuals.

i'll bet you've never even heard of 人馬一体

yeah a flappy paddle dual clutch automatic shifts fast and you can do things that a normal auto won't do like downshift for a corner or whatever

i have a manual because it is fun

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i have a manual because it is fun

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
got into my car 2 months ago and the battery was dead, still haven't done anything about that. Can't say I miss it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Car. Transmission. Gasoline. Electricity. Bolt. Wheel. Gear. Piston. Wires. Grease. Axel. Brake. Explosion. Traffic. YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

axle

• Locked thread