Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Another naturalized citizen who came over with his family. Really what is amazing/scary is that refugees aren't doing these attacks, it's second gen immigrants who are reasonably economically well off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Data Graham posted:

I'm honestly really surprised they caught him alive, it seems like every time something like this happens the guy ends up killed in a firefight

From reading the article it seems like this guy was less a terrorist ready to die for the cause and more some dude pissed off about the city forcing his restaurant to close at 10pm after getting numerous complaints from neighbors about late night drunk people.

Madcosby posted:

So bombs made with cellphones:

the idea is that when you call the number it triggers some sort of detonator? What happens if someone calls the number after you've set up the bomb but havent placed it? Are you literally at the whim of random callers? Is there something about flip phones that get less calls? Do texts and notifications trigger the explosions?

These are probably the wrong questions to be asking on the internet in 2016. Please ignore me FBI and friends

Just guessing but I bet they are set to only trigger if they receive a call from a specific number, not just if they receive any call at all. I also bet some idiot somewhere sometime has blown themselves up in exactly the way you're describing, though.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Do It Once Right posted:

All I care about is that idiot who posted the hoax tumblr page and how far they're going to get their poo poo pushed in by law enforcement.

I hope it is pretty far because that stuff is in really poor taste and not that funny. Person should catch an IRL probate.

reallivedinosaur posted:

hahaha nothing will come of it because they have the "right" political views.

e: fake bomb threats, fake racist threats, are all the rage on college campuses and nothing ever comes of it. charges are filed then dropped.

Someone did a bomb threat against my school not too long ago and he was arrested and charged with making terroristic threats which is a felony and last I heard his life is ruined still. All he wanted to do was get out of an exam.

Sounds like you're projecting to me.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Dehry posted:

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/sms-suicide-bomber/

Suicide bombers have been blown up by their cell phone providers before.

Hah I knew it.

quote:

The message reportedly wished her a Happy New Years, according to the report, which sourced the info from security forces in Russia.

:golfclap:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Do It Once Right posted:

The internet is making terrorism groupies a thing? That's pretty hosed up. I have to imagine that impeding an investigation would get some attention from law enforcement.

I'm pretty sure he's making things up or something. If you make a bomb threat in 2016 you're definitely not going to just get off with a 'haha don't do that again you silly goose.'

That Tumblr in particular might be okay, I don't know what was on it exactly. Obstruction of justice or whatever wouldn't really apply there though unless some DA is feeling particularly jumpy.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 19, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

a fake bomb threat gets you an invite to the white house to show off your "cool clock!"

Except in that case that kid was just 'watch me bring some empty briefcase with wires poking out and have everyone trip out' which is basically what Wozniac did (Woz's was worse though) and he didn't actually threaten anyone with anything.

Call up a school and threaten to bomb it and see what happens to you.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Well dad was a prick but it didn't help that the sheriff waddled in and got all super serious about it that's all I'm saying. Pretty sure no one actually believed it was a bomb which is why the kid wasn't charged with making a bomb threat in the end, and also why they didn't bother to evacuate the school or anything and instead just sent the kid to the office.

All I'm saying is if you think that situation is an example of being allowed to call in bomb threats with no repercussions then lol good luck.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Dunno why it's so hard to say everyone involved was dumb instead of having to defend one side or another like you personally have any stake in it.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

because the school staff and police acted appropriately

It made the national news somehow, so no they didn't.

Anyway this is a dumb derail. The point is that if you call in a bomb threat you're not just going to get let off with a warning.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

"somehow".

only one side of the story is allowed to be told and that side is obviously a lie

your a dumb derail

hmm good point but have you considered

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Nooner posted:

heh get this, what if instead of the muslim kid making the clock -- HARAMBE THE GORILLA MADE IT!!!!!! :roflolmao:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Nooner posted:

also nazis are bad, nazis are like the white people muslims, bad and kill people too much

what about this nazi

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
2000 years later everyone still rips off the Romans.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Rome wasn't racist.

All were welcome to be slaves.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Linnear posted:

...... is this real? She looks ridiculously beautiful and my first thought was photoshop.

Dunno it's one of those images just floating around on the internet so it might very well be enhanced a bit.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Because is filmed with potato.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Yeah that lion is on everything.

The Swedes were just wingin' it though

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

You know the Confederacy attacked from Canada right? :cheerdoge:

Just 'cuz he mentioned northern Civil War battlefields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
"Winter" is code for "Whites"

• Locked thread