Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Coen brothers movie?
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers
No Country For Old Men
Burn After Reading
A Serious Man
True Grit
Inside Llewyn Davis
Hail, Caesar!
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Miller's Crossing fuckers Jon Polito RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Serious Man is a bit underrated

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kind of a tie between A Serious Man and The BIg Lebowski, though I like Blood Simple, O Brother, and True Grit a lot as well.

only movie of theirs I didn't really like was Hail Caesar but I never even bothered seeing Ladykillers it looks horrible and everyone I know says dont bother

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm pretty fond of their True Grit take.

Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!:argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Garfield

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i would recommend anyone who like's the Coen's version of True Grit to go and read the book by Charles Portis. their adaptation is a lot closer to the book than the older movie, and the book is quick read but gives you a lot of interesting background, and also read all of Portis' other books they are also very good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I never even bothered seeing Ladykillers it looks horrible and everyone I know says dont bother

It's not the trainwreck a lot of people say it is, but you're right in that it's completely disposable and largely forgettable. It does feature one of Tom Hanks' rare performance outside of his "aw shucks" American man niche that he's been in for 25 years, even if he kind-of faceplants because he's trying to make an early 20th Century Southern dandy stereotype funny and believable in the slightest.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
OP, aren't you wayne gretzky, the weird guy from canada that took pics of his balls???

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No Country is really, really good and is one of my favorite movies

Despite actually being a riff on Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, Lebowski is one of the better detective movies ever made

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
The Hudsucker Proxy :hellyeah:

So many quotable lines and Jennifer Jason Leigh is loving spot on as the reporter.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
O brother and No country are the best by a mile.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

TracerBullet posted:

The Hudsucker Proxy :hellyeah:

So many quotable lines and Jennifer Jason Leigh is loving spot on as the reporter.

"Makin' the elevator do what it does"

I'll call Millers Crossing and The Man Who Wasn't There as the dark horses.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mind the walrus posted:

A Serious Man is a bit underrated

this

also raising arizona is one of the funniest movies ever made, like blazing saddles funny

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
are we only counting stuff they directed because crimewave was pretty good too

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Coen brothers made a lot of good movies. Seeing them just listed like that really brings it home how much better they are than most directors.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
crimewave reminds me they really need to do a movie with bruce campbell in a larger role

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
In A Serious Man, the scene where Sy Ableman takes Larry's hands and counts down from ten is the funniest scene in any movie I've ever seen.

Ladykillers is funny and not as bad as everyone says it is, mostly thanks to JK Simmons' character.

I don't think they have any movies that are straight up bad. Just some are less good than others.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Best soundtrack, the jew from scrubs, the jew from the big bang theory, and a babe with extremely pointy breasts. theres no competition

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
No Country for Old Men is the best.

I liked Hail Caesar a lot tho, surprised it has 0 votes

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Hail Caesar is a nice enough movie in a silly self-aware kind of way, but it's not really their best work.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it wasn't a bad movie but it didn't strike me as particularly good, it kind of seemed like a paint by numbers Coen bros. movie

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched half of Caesar and then had to go run some errands

That was a week ago, I haven't felt the need to continue watching it

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Miller's Crossing is the only answer you dumb cunts.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Earwicker posted:

i would recommend anyone who like's the Coen's version of True Grit to go and read the book by Charles Portis. their adaptation is a lot closer to the book than the older movie, and the book is quick read but gives you a lot of interesting background, and also read all of Portis' other books they are also very good

a Coen bros. adaptation of The Dog of the South or Norwood would be incredible, you'd probably never be able to tell it wasn't original material

anyway the best "serious" one is No Country, the best funny one is Raising Arizona, but honestly the top is pretty crowded: Burn after reading, lebowski, fargo, miller's crossing

what about least favorite? besides chaff like Ladykillers I really don't care about o brother at all, or hail caesar. I haven't seen intolerable cruelty and no one talks about it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I've actually never seen the coen brothers true grit? Should I bother? I like the original a lot.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Fargo is their best film by a mile. It's not even close, sorry!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Big Lebowski and No Country For Old Men are my two favorite movies period but I've loved every Coen Brothers movie I've ever seen.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

a Coen bros. adaptation of The Dog of the South or Norwood would be incredible, you'd probably never be able to tell it wasn't original material

anyway the best "serious" one is No Country, the best funny one is Raising Arizona, but honestly the top is pretty crowded: Burn after reading, lebowski, fargo, miller's crossing

what about least favorite? besides chaff like Ladykillers I really don't care about o brother at all, or hail caesar. I haven't seen intolerable cruelty and no one talks about it.

pretty sure there is actually a film adaptation of Norwood but i havent seen it, I think it's almost as old as the book

but yeah Coen bros doing Dog of the South (or Gringos for that matter) would be amazing

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I've actually never seen the coen brothers true grit? Should I bother? I like the original a lot.

imo the Coen brothers version is better. more true to the book and characters anyway.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Oh Brother Where Art Thou, for the toad, the scene where the Klan gets wrecked, the loving flood and sea of pomade and just the whole feel of the film. It's loving hilarious.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

yeah it's good

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's funny that raising arizona and no country are basically the same movie except one is played for laughs

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

jiharlequinade posted:

Miller's Crossing fuckers Jon Polito RIP

I came here to say Miller's Crossing only to have you give me the high hat.

You's fancy pants, all of yuz.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

ladykillers loving owns sorry for your poo poo taste in movies

burn after reading is even better tho

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Basically any movie with JK Simmons

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fargo was retroactively made worse by the TV series that they allowed to happen

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Oh poo poo, I haven't watched that either. I thought the consensus was that it was good? I was excited about it so I held off to let it run a bit so I wouldn't have to wait between episodes.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Professor Shark posted:

wrong again fucko

show owns

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think most goons really liked it. I couldn't stand it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
The show is really really good and if you don't like it you're in the minority. I'm not going to go so far as to say you're an idiot retard fucker, since I know I hate stuff everybody likes, but the Fargo show was extremely my poo poo and I liked it even better than the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
IMHO their best work was TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze

• Locked thread