Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Coen brothers movie?
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers
No Country For Old Men
Burn After Reading
A Serious Man
True Grit
Inside Llewyn Davis
Hail, Caesar!
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

IMHO their best work was TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze

I really want to see them take on a hyper-commercial middle-of-the-road blockbuster project like that just to see what we'd end up getting. It would probably suck on toast but the movie won't be what you watch, it'll be all the poo poo around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Naerasa posted:

The show is really really good and if you don't like it you're in the minority. I'm not going to go so far as to say you're an idiot retard fucker, since I know I hate stuff everybody likes, but the Fargo show was extremely my poo poo and I liked it even better than the movie.

Yeah I didn't like it, I'm glad most people do though, I guess

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm gonna be that moron and say I didn't like No Country and I need someone to sell me on it. Was Tommy Lee Jones the main character or something? I remember thinking he was unimportant and didn't even listen to his speech at the end, when the credits rolled I turned to my brother and asked what I missed because I ignored all his scenes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The Big Lebowski is a really loving boring movie.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I dunno. Coincidentally I'm watching it right now and I quite like it. Maybe not as much as True Grit or Fargo, but it's still good.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Naerasa posted:

The show is really really good and if you don't like it you're in the minority. I'm not going to go so far as to say you're an idiot retard fucker, since I know I hate stuff everybody likes, but the Fargo show was extremely my poo poo and I liked it even better than the movie.

yeah and it appears to not have been a fluke either bc the second season rules too

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm gonna be that moron and say I didn't like No Country and I need someone to sell me on it. Was Tommy Lee Jones the main character or something? I remember thinking he was unimportant and didn't even listen to his speech at the end, when the credits rolled I turned to my brother and asked what I missed because I ignored all his scenes.

He was the Old Man from the title, I would recommend going back and watching it

Gatekeeper posted:

yeah and it appears to not have been a fluke either bc the second season rules too

I heard that the second season has an entirely new cast and plot, I may give it a go in the near future.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm a huge Raymond Chandler fan so I'm obviously bias, but I disagree.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
probably a 3-way tie between no country for old men and big lebowski and fargo

a they have a stellar film for every mood really

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Did you retards even see Miller's Crossing? because you wouldn't be talking about No Country for Old Men, Fargo, or True Grit so much if you had.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Miller's Crossing is based on The Glass Key

I think that they should do more Hammett/ Chandler inspired stuff

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rape Stink posted:

Did you retards even see Miller's Crossing? because you wouldn't be talking about No Country for Old Men, Fargo, or True Grit so much if you had.

No, I didn't see Miller's Crossing. I can't watch loving movies all day. Is it good?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Gotta join the minority who are saying "Miller's Crossing". But I read "The Glass Key," so I was ready to enjoy it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Miller's Crossing is based on The Glass Key

I think that they should do more Hammett/ Chandler inspired stuff

Yojimbo is based on The Glass Key and Red Harvest.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

It's one of those "death of the Western" type stories that examines masculinity. Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem do their cat-and-mouse thing, causing massive collateral damage in the process, with Jones either a step behind and totally outmatched because he represents the loss of virility and synchronization with violence inherent with age. By the end Brolin is dead, Bardem has fled, and Jones just sits around going "I'm old, this poo poo is too violent, and I can't take it anymore."

The rub is really in how the story is told, which as has been said is a genuine masterwork.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

no it sucks

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rape Stink posted:

no it sucks

:(.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Yojimbo is based on The Glass Key and Red Harvest.

Now that I think of it Red Harvest is like a Coen Brothers movie in book form

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Jk it's rad

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I thought I was the only Chandler/ Hammett nerd left.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
ykno I never got around to watching blood simple. Is it good? sell me on it, friends

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I heard that the second season has an entirely new cast and plot, I may give it a go in the near future.

It's a whole new story, related to the first season. The ladycop Solverson's dad (Keith carradine) references some heavy poo poo in the 70s that he experienced. Season two is said heavy poo poo. That guy who played the impotent owl man in Watchmen plays young Carradine, he did a great job. But oddly enough Kirsten Dunst was the real star of the season, it was absolutely her best performance in anything ever. I always felt bad for her because her finest role was when she was a lil kid in Interview with the Vampire and she was never quite that good ever again. Until season Two of Fargo. She fucken KILLED it, yo.

I mean if you really didn't like season one this shiw might just not be for you, but I'd at least give it a shot because i thought it was fantastic. Better than the first season, even. It was so fuckin weird and funny and all the lil coen references were great and the soundtrack, sweet fucker of mothers man the SOUNDTRACK!!! so good.

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe
out of town shooters

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Gatekeeper posted:

ykno I never got around to watching blood simple. Is it good? sell me on it, friends

It's good. It's got a couple of sleazy characters, a simple guy in over his head, a woman of ambiguous innocence (tho' certainly in distress), betrayal, murder, disposal of remains, and the Four Tops.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

burn after reading is only a soso flick but the dildo chair reveal is choice

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Miller's Crossing is good, but A Serious Man is their most underrated movie

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

raising arizona is too much of a classic not to pick

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe
i am c00l d00d jerry told me one time or a couple

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mind the walrus posted:

It's one of those "death of the Western" type stories that examines masculinity. Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem do their cat-and-mouse thing, causing massive collateral damage in the process, with Jones either a step behind and totally outmatched because he represents the loss of virility and synchronization with violence inherent with age. By the end Brolin is dead, Bardem has fled, and Jones just sits around going "I'm old, this poo poo is too violent, and I can't take it anymore."

The rub is really in how the story is told, which as has been said is a genuine masterwork.

I'm see what you mean but I still don't buy it as brilliant or entertaining. The person we were supposed to be following the whole time was the cop that hasn't done anything related to the central conflict and had the least amount of screen time. I get that he felt his age and impotency prevented him from stopping the other two but I wasn't drawn into a movie to watch an old guy drink coffee and complain. That's where the title comes from but that doesn't make it clever to me.

E: I'll give it another watch, I must be missing something important.

VVV Huh?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 18, 2016

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm see what you mean but I still don't buy it as brilliant or entertaining. The person we were supposed to be following the whole time was the cop that hasn't done anything related to the central conflict and had the least amount of screen time. I get that he felt his age and impotency prevented him from stopping the other two but I wasn't drawn into a movie to watch an old guy drink coffee and complain. That's where the title comes from but that doesn't make it clever to me.

making fun of people for how they dance when you are as arrogantly sperg as you and ur sister is pretty low. also all the lies about cheating. u ran tom doubleday out of the country. he wanted to press charges on u and cried in front of gram and i @ the pump. take some responsibility. d00d

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

As Nero Danced posted:

VVV Huh?

If you see Tommy Lee Jones is in something, you lose the right to be surprised when large portions of the movie are about an old man who likes to complain.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

no country is a cormac mccarthy novel on screen and if youve read him youll understand the movie

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

burn after reading is only a soso flick but the dildo chair reveal is choice

yes and also the final scene with jk simmons

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm see what you mean but I still don't buy it as brilliant or entertaining. The person we were supposed to be following the whole time was the cop that hasn't done anything related to the central conflict and had the least amount of screen time. I get that he felt his age and impotency prevented him from stopping the other two but I wasn't drawn into a movie to watch an old guy drink coffee and complain. That's where the title comes from but that doesn't make it clever to me. I'll gibve it another watch, maybe I'm missing something important.

Tommy Lee Jones isn't the main character, though? He's just a guy that finds out he isn't the man he thought he was. He and the other old Sheriff try to blame it on the way people are now, but at the end he's told that things have always been violent and terrible. In the end he backs down from the epic shoot-out because he realizes he can't handle it and retires.

Anyway, Llewelyn and Chigurh are the main characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

The narrative is split into three pieces of focus-- Brolin, Bardem, and Jones. Jones is more of a thematic framing device watching two younger men scrap it out than anything else. Give it another go though.

quote:

VVV Huh?

Probably Dare.

im gaye posted:

no country is a cormac mccarthy novel on screen and if youve read him youll understand the movie

Also this. McCarthy novels are like dusky campfire nightmares with the rambling narrative and lack of traditional narrative anchor points that are in the movie as well.

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe
DEATH TO AMERICA

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They tried to tell me to take my meds but I said no, no, no! :nyd:

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe

Professor Shark posted:

well good for u man

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Id recommend electroconvulsive treatment but sadly his dented dome prob doesn't contain enough brains to zap :^(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe

Gatekeeper posted:

Id recommend electroconvulsive treatment but sadly his dented dome prob doesn't contain enough brains to zap :^(

rofl look @ this poo poo ur trying to justify zapping ur own brain look thats a whole nother basket of poo poo idgaf wat u say but uve definitely been abused by the system on some level

• Locked thread