Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Coen brothers movie?
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers
No Country For Old Men
Burn After Reading
A Serious Man
True Grit
Inside Llewyn Davis
Hail, Caesar!
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm gonna be that moron and say I didn't like No Country and I need someone to sell me on it.

No, it's really bad. So bad that I start thinking Will Smith's kid has a point with his "How do I know you're not seeing a cat when we look at a tree" Tweets. I kinda don't believe people who like it are watching the same movie I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Graham Crackers

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Poetic Justice posted:

OP, aren't you wayne gretzky, the weird guy from canada that took pics of his balls???

No, but I can understand the confusion as we're both quite prolific FYAD posters.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Anyone who complains about any of the movies on the list being boring or pointless Doesn't Get It

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frankenstyle posted:

No, it's really bad. So bad that I start thinking Will Smith's kid has a point with his "How do I know you're not seeing a cat when we look at a tree" Tweets. I kinda don't believe people who like it are watching the same movie I did.

It is a good movie if you basically put your mind into the state of an old man. Kinda like Gran Torino. The country is going to poo poo and it'll never reach that golden* age.

*Vietnam. JFK assassination. Watergate. It's always been a loving shithole you dumbass shitlord.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

a land where parents are strong and wise and capable

and all children are happy and beloved

maybe it was utah

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

im gaye posted:

a land where parents are strong and wise and capable

and all children are happy and beloved

maybe it was utah

Son, you got a panty on your head.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gabriel Pope posted:

Anyone who complains about any of the movies on the list being boring or pointless Doesn't Get It

the ending of no country was great because half the theater i saw it in got up and left confused and angry

and this was in one of those fancy places where they serve beer and full meals and mostly shows arthouse crap so you'd think they'd be a little more sophisticated

can't imagine what the reaction was like in a regular pleb theater

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

gleebster posted:

Son, you got a panty on your head.

when there was no meat, we ate fowl. and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad. and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

you ate what

we ate sand

you ate sand?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Okay, then.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

No country for old men

It's like Fargo but better. And with Anton chigurh

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
when I saw no country in the theater everyone sat completely silent and unmoving for like a full minute after the end, it was incredible

the thing that gets me about that movie is how efficient the storytelling is, I mean it gets going real fast and introduces characters by telling you exactly as much as you need to know and nothing else and you don't even notice it

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Zesty Mordant posted:

when I saw no country in the theater everyone sat completely silent and unmoving for like a full minute after the end, it was incredible

yeah this was my theaters reaction as well, I've never seen anything like that before or since

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zesty Mordant posted:

the thing that gets me about that movie is how efficient the storytelling is, I mean it gets going real fast and introduces characters by telling you exactly as much as you need to know and nothing else and you don't even notice it

The book is like that too. The Coens really "got" McCarthy's style and translated it so well to the screen.

What gets me is the lighting, oddly enough. It manages to seem real while nudging you towards the mood of the scene just that much more. I don't know poo poo about lighting from a technical level but apparently it's god-tier; and the Coens were similarly praised for being able to get great picture quality in a super-snowy environment for Fargo.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing is a close second

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

jiharlequinade posted:

Miller's Crossing fuckers Jon Polito RIP

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
kingpin by a mile

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI2QZYWoxE0

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ive really only watched 4 of those movies from the poll btw and you know which ones

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I voted for Lebowski because it's the one I enjoy the most even if I know No Country and many others are way better films.

By my metric No Country is third behind Oh Brother Where Art Thou, that one's on tv all the time and I still get a kick out of it.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
It's Hail Caesar! because their foray into George Clooney BDSM slash fiction expresses the deepest expression of their artistic intent. Also, it has Jonah Hill in its top billing when he has three lines and 4 seconds of screen time establishing that he is, for all intents and purposes, a person who is legally in the movie, playing the role of a "person," pure and simple. It's a great meta joke about Jonah Hill's making a career out of being just a person, an anti-movie-star, in contrast to Clooney's hyper-stardom.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Only Coens I haven't seen yet are Miller's Crossing, Intolerable Cruelty, and Inside Lleywn Davis.

The Ladykillers isn't as good as their other movies, but it's still hilarious and worthwhile. I wish more filmmakers could have "worst" movies this good.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Frankenstyle posted:

Its your brain thats really bad and doesn't work, and cant enjoy good movies. Sorry

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Barton Fink for being a surreal masterpiece; followed by Miller's Crossing for being a great gangster film with suspense, laughs, and a glorious ending.

Edit; PinkoBastard gets it.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 19, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xenophanes posted:

It's Hail Caesar! because their foray into George Clooney BDSM slash fiction expresses the deepest expression of their artistic intent. Also, it has Jonah Hill in its top billing when he has three lines and 4 seconds of screen time establishing that he is, for all intents and purposes, a person who is legally in the movie, playing the role of a "person," pure and simple. It's a great meta joke about Jonah Hill's making a career out of being just a person, an anti-movie-star, in contrast to Clooney's hyper-stardom.

Josh Brolin is fantastic in it, too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

The Ladykillers isn't as good as their other movies, but it's still hilarious and worthwhile. I wish more filmmakers could have "worst" movies this good.

Yeah it has a lot of good stuff but never quite comes together. There are some banging acting performances for real. I sure do like me some Stephen Root.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Burn After Reading has the best brief seconds of hilarity when George Clooney shoots Brad Pitt in the face. The fatuous grin on Pitt's face as Clooney pulls the trigger really really REALLY hit my guffaw button.

It's well worth pausing and single frame advancing that scene.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

dee eight posted:

Burn After Reading has the best brief seconds of hilarity when George Clooney shoots Brad Pitt in the face. The fatuous grin on Pitt's face as Clooney pulls the trigger really really REALLY hit my guffaw button.

that scene almost killed my dad

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

dee eight posted:

i laughed so hard at this scene i almost threw up

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My film snob friends hated Burn After Reading to the point that they walked out and I was confused. Bear in mind these guys practically masturbated to discussion of There Will Be Blood every night so I imagine a movie that dealt in a similar sense of cynicism but without the same pomposity really killed their hard-ons. I mean I didn't love Burn After Reading myself but it was an amusing Shaggy Dog story with some funny moments.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

The book is like that too. The Coens really "got" McCarthy's style and translated it so well to the screen.

I wish they would do the Border Trilogy

mind the walrus posted:

My film snob friends hated Burn After Reading to the point that they walked out and I was confused.

it's one of Brad Pitt's best roles imo.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 19, 2016

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Earwicker posted:

it's one of Brad Pitt's best roles imo

Agree completely.

Tough call for me between Fargo/Raising Arizona/Lebowski. I watch any of those any time I see that they're coming on.

TY Coen Bros.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Did anybody say Garfield yet?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The Hudsucker Proxy.

You know, for kids!

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

It's a whole new story, related to the first season. The ladycop Solverson's dad (Keith carradine) references some heavy poo poo in the 70s that he experienced. Season two is said heavy poo poo. That guy who played the impotent owl man in Watchmen plays young Carradine, he did a great job. But oddly enough Kirsten Dunst was the real star of the season, it was absolutely her best performance in anything ever. I always felt bad for her because her finest role was when she was a lil kid in Interview with the Vampire and she was never quite that good ever again. Until season Two of Fargo. She fucken KILLED it, yo.

I mean if you really didn't like season one this shiw might just not be for you, but I'd at least give it a shot because i thought it was fantastic. Better than the first season, even. It was so fuckin weird and funny and all the lil coen references were great and the soundtrack, sweet fucker of mothers man the SOUNDTRACK!!! so good.

Dunst was very good but the star of the season was Bokeem Woodbine period full stop the end

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=563QNm_A7WI

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Earwicker posted:

I wish they would do the Border Trilogy

suttree is practically a coen bros script as is

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

im gaye posted:

that scene almost killed my dad

I knew O Brother was special when some old timer sitting behind me at the theater nearly stroked out laughing at the tight spot escape, and probably 2-3 times after that. The elderly have seen a lot and aren't surprised by much, so it was doubly contagious.

The Coens recognized that Southern diction of the era was part of the appeal and tried to get lightning to strike twice with Ladykillers. It didn't. The movie (T-Bone Burnett, specifically) was responsible for about a zillion roots/americana albums with sepia toned artwork for the next 5-6 years.

No country was legit frightening on the big screen the first time, but I don't think it holds up as well to repeat viewings.

The Fargo series was/is really well done and Martin Freeman absolutely owned as Lester.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mind the walrus posted:

What gets me is the lighting, oddly enough. It manages to seem real while nudging you towards the mood of the scene just that much more. I don't know poo poo about lighting from a technical level but apparently it's god-tier; and the Coens were similarly praised for being able to get great picture quality in a super-snowy environment for Fargo.

what also made it so effective was the film score

other than a low pitched tone that increases gradually to a whisper level during a few tense scenes, there's basically no background music, and there's so many scenes with almost no dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
If I had to argue which movie is their "best", it would likely be a tie between Fargo and Barton Fink as they are close to as perfect as a movie can be. But my favourite is The Hudsucker Proxy, because it's the type of movie I could watch a hundred times and end up feeling better each time. I feel about it the way most people feel about Lebowski.

I would say their worst isn't The Ladykillers - it's just wholly disposable. For me it's Intolerable Cruelty as there are some parts of scenes and a few lines that are just plain bad. It's very obvious that it was a movie written by someone else first that the Coen's just added their weirdness onto later, and you can totally tell which parts are which.. Same with Jurassic Park III with Alexander Payne doing a re-write.

• Locked thread