Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
in NYC, don't know anyone who says "yearo", gyro got a hard g. It sounds like "jai-row". Even old rear end greek fuckers at diners say it like that. I count you as a friend OP so yeah one of my friends says gyro like a pretentious cockdick

but it's funny because everyone here calls big rear end sammlers "heroes" and i'm almost positive this is some weird borrowing of gyro pronounced like it is far from the shores of America. So sometimes we pronounce gyro like a foreigner but only when we're not talking about actual gyros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I think almost every girl I know pronounces "Yes" like "Enn-oh". I don't get it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you motherfuckers a hard g is like gay not genesis jfc

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Lemme axe you this" (coworker)

Joke's on you, the "axe" pronunciation is valid and even predates "ask".

The ones that make me twitch are people using "less" in place of "fewer", and "chai tea".

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Blue Train posted:

wait so gif has a hard g

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Blue Train posted:

it's harder to say Genesis than it is to say gay so I think youre confuzzled friend

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

wait so gif has a hard g

if you say it properly and not the way they say it's meant to be said yes

the "real" way is like the peanut butter but gently caress that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

it's harder to say Genesis than it is to say gay so I think youre confuzzled friend

I'm jay

crow baby
Oct 20, 2012
I knew a guy who pronounced albeit as "all-bite" just gently caress off

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
special guest post from probated GBS forums poster "Hector Beerlioz":

Hector Beerlioz PM posted:

I can't post in your thread cause I'm probated, but my friend from Pennsylvania pronounces "wolf" as "woof". It's weird, but he doesn't know he's saying it wrong. Thank you for reading.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my dad used to pronounce "water" as "wooter" or "wooder" (this is a very specific southern thing) but we shamed him so hard he eventually stopped

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
i know someone who seriously thinks bruschetta is named after a town in Italy called "Brusca" where it was invented

i'm pretty sure they either dreamt this or just had a false memory enter their head at random, in any case, it is impossible to convince them that there is no such Italian town, and that the word bruschetta comes from the central (Roman) Italian word "bruscare" which means to roast over hot coals.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

thathonkey posted:

special guest post from probated GBS forums poster "Hector Beerlioz":

i do this but it's absolutely intentional
See also:
Woofmen
Werewoofs
Etc

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My half sister says "sammich" and it drives me loving crazy.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Maldoror posted:

i know someone who seriously thinks bruschetta is named after a town in Italy called 'Brusca" where it was invented

i'm pretty sure they either dreamt this or just had a false memory enter their head at random, in any case, it is impossible to convince them that there is no such Italian town,and that the word bruschetta comes from the central (Roman) Italian word "bruscare" which means to roast over hot coals.

What does this have to do with pronunciation tho?? I know it's cool to drop your education in our laps like presidential vomit but we're not talking about etymology here

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

seeing deadmau5 on the front page made me think of a friend of mine who unironically thinks it is supposed to be said as "dead mau five"

another friend used to think A1 sauce was called "AL sauce" we know cause he asked for it once in a restaurant.

we all probably know somebody who pronounces gyro with a hard g like gyroscope.

what are some common things friends or people you know cant pronounce?

All of the local hillbillies at the gas station / bar&gril (lol half bar half gas station fuckin lol) pronounce gyro with a hard G and argued with me when I pronounced it correctly because that's how all of them "always said it".

Another food every smart rear end thinks they're pronouncing right but aren't is "Chorizo".

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

My half sister says "sammich" and it drives me loving crazy.

sammich is good, same with sammie

They're played these days tho

I go for sammler, sammelodeon, sometimes I drop a sandusky. Turkish sanduskies are my meal of choice for an example

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

thathonkey posted:

my dad used to pronounce "water" as "wooter" or "wooder" (this is a very specific southern thing) but we shamed him so hard he eventually stopped

Wooder is a very Philadelphia thing.

as in Churry wooder ice

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Turkish sanduskies can be abbreviated in different ways too, turksams, for example, or my favorite Sammaturk

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dave_Indeed posted:

Another food every smart rear end thinks they're pronouncing right but aren't is "Chorizo".

huh? how do they pronounce it?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Just spend a hour talking with me. You'll pull your teeth out.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Gatekeeper posted:

What does this have to do with pronunciation tho?? I know it's cool to drop your education in our laps like presidential vomit but we're not talking about etymology here

sorry

this same person thinks robusta coffee is pronounced "row BOOST oh"

for serious

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'd spend uh hour wycha. wyd do.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I had a home ec teacher who called parmesan cheese "par-mee-see-on"

Ah yes, "Giada-ing."

gf's mother calls milk "melk" and adds Ts unnecessarily to the end of a bunch of words.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
a guy I know mispronounces all sorts of things but he also thinks its funny to use weird words and hokey phrases but he misremembers them and so he comes out with all these weird adages rife with malapropisms like "well you gotta take that with a pinch of sand" and "don't be such a trilobite" (he means, bewilderingly but fittingly, 'troglodyte')

basically half the things he says have that echo of the real thing, like when a tv show uses a sound-alike instead of the actual song they couldn't afford to get the royalties to

Kindergarten Camp
Nov 27, 2015

It might be technically right to say "mature" like ma-tour.
But to me, it sounds totally weird unless it's pronounced ma-tchur.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Maldoror posted:

sorry

this same person thinks robusta coffee is pronounced "row BOOST oh"

for serious

well again to anyone who took Spanish or italians in high school this makes sense, not everyone had your special education (lol get it?) learning latin.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

a guy I know mispronounces all sorts of things but he also thinks its funny to use weird words and hokey phrases but he misremembers them and so he comes out with all these weird adages rife with malapropisms like "well you gotta take that with a pinch of sand" and "don't be such a trilobite" (he means, bewilderingly but fittingly, 'troglodyte')

basically half the things he says have that echo of the real thing, like when a tv show uses a sound-alike instead of the actual song they couldn't afford to get the royalties to

Umm are you from NY?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dave_Indeed posted:

All of the local hillbillies at the gas station / bar&gril (lol half bar half gas station fuckin lol) pronounce gyro with a hard G and argued with me when I pronounced it correctly because that's how all of them "always said it".

What's "right" here? Castilian, Catalan and Portuguese all pronounce that word differently.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have a few for myself from when i was young and dumb(er)

- i used to say ether like tether in ethernet instead of like either
- i used to think the name sean was pronounced phonetically because i had a friend named shawn so i figured it was a different name pronounced seen lol seen "puffy" combs
- dressage :doh:
- inverse: that crt TV line made by sony called wega was actually pronounced vega (at least a salesman at circuit city corrected me one time) so i proudly said that and people never knew what i was talkign about

aside: i'm generally a proponent of pronouncing foreign words as closely as possible to the native way but without trying to overdo an accent that isnt your own if that makes sense but people that say "porsche" with two syllables are lame as gently caress

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Dave_Indeed posted:

It's actually pronounced "sausage".

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I'm (hard G) Gay

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
ok like check this

if you're going to say a foreign term, you either say the whole thing the correct foreign way, or the whole thing in your own dialect... don't mix the two

so for grand prix, it should be either

"gr/and pricks" (american)

or

"grond pree" (french)

"gr/and pree" (american + french) is wrong!

:hehe:

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
im American I'll say words how I want frenchie.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

my friend kyle used to pronounce Capcom camcomp I just don't even know how you gently caress up a 2 syllable 6 letter word

Chasitysux
Sep 9, 2016
Reese's "Peeses" Instead of REESES PIECES
God dammit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Chasitysux posted:

Reese's "Peeses" Instead of REESES PIECES
God dammit

ugh yea this one is bad

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Celluloid Sam posted:

my friend kyle used to pronounce Capcom camcomp I just don't even know how you gently caress up a 2 syllable 6 letter word

dyslexia

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

yeah i figure that this is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hector I know you are reading this, I'm sorry that my efforts failed to free you.

• Locked thread