Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
seeing deadmau5 on the front page made me think of a friend of mine who unironically thinks it is supposed to be said as "dead mau five"

another friend used to think A1 sauce was called "AL sauce" we know cause he asked for it once in a restaurant.

we all probably know somebody who pronounces gyro with a hard g like gyroscope.

what are some common things friends or people you know cant pronounce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
we used to have this thing called "platinum membership" where i worked for VIPs and a coworker who wasnt from the US always called it "platinium" because of how people outside the US add the extra letter to alumnium i guess. why do people insist on adding extra syllables to words that already exist. like what the gently caress was wrong with aluminum

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
irregardless

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Enfield posted:

all my friends died

sorry you can't participate in this thread then

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have one friend that is really proud to know that in many cases you are supposed to say "<other person> and I went to go do something" instead of "<other person> and me" when you're the subject of a sentence. but he blindly applies it across the board because he isnt as smart about grammar as he thinks so he'll say things like "that cake is for <other person> and I" and then argue when i say it's wrong

native english speaker btw. british actually which makes it even richer.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
special guest post from probated GBS forums poster "Hector Beerlioz":

Hector Beerlioz PM posted:

I can't post in your thread cause I'm probated, but my friend from Pennsylvania pronounces "wolf" as "woof". It's weird, but he doesn't know he's saying it wrong. Thank you for reading.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my dad used to pronounce "water" as "wooter" or "wooder" (this is a very specific southern thing) but we shamed him so hard he eventually stopped

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dave_Indeed posted:

Another food every smart rear end thinks they're pronouncing right but aren't is "Chorizo".

huh? how do they pronounce it?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'd spend uh hour wycha. wyd do.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have a few for myself from when i was young and dumb(er)

- i used to say ether like tether in ethernet instead of like either
- i used to think the name sean was pronounced phonetically because i had a friend named shawn so i figured it was a different name pronounced seen lol seen "puffy" combs
- dressage :doh:
- inverse: that crt TV line made by sony called wega was actually pronounced vega (at least a salesman at circuit city corrected me one time) so i proudly said that and people never knew what i was talkign about

aside: i'm generally a proponent of pronouncing foreign words as closely as possible to the native way but without trying to overdo an accent that isnt your own if that makes sense but people that say "porsche" with two syllables are lame as gently caress

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BirryJoru posted:

hour with no silent h

lol waht

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
this kid i went to school with used to say "vackum" instead of vacuum

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my dad thinks kanye west is kane west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

Are you sure it's not on purpose? I do the same thing because it annoys people who think of a DJ as a performer and not as just the monkey in charge of the stereo.

unfortunately yes i am fairly sure because i know this person well and he doesnt do the deadpan irony thing it's just not part of his repertoire. i think he really truyl believes that one valid option is dead mau five

• Locked thread