Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
i know someone who seriously thinks bruschetta is named after a town in Italy called "Brusca" where it was invented

i'm pretty sure they either dreamt this or just had a false memory enter their head at random, in any case, it is impossible to convince them that there is no such Italian town, and that the word bruschetta comes from the central (Roman) Italian word "bruscare" which means to roast over hot coals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Gatekeeper posted:

What does this have to do with pronunciation tho?? I know it's cool to drop your education in our laps like presidential vomit but we're not talking about etymology here

sorry

this same person thinks robusta coffee is pronounced "row BOOST oh"

for serious

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
ok like check this

if you're going to say a foreign term, you either say the whole thing the correct foreign way, or the whole thing in your own dialect... don't mix the two

so for grand prix, it should be either

"gr/and pricks" (american)

or

"grond pree" (french)

"gr/and pree" (american + french) is wrong!

:hehe:

• Locked thread