Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Hey ya'll. Long time no see.

Yes, AI did use to be my #1 chillout zone but all I had to show for it was a Sprinter engine replacement. Eh...

I didn't want to intrude upon the Miata/MazdaSpeed threads with this whole thing, so maybe a new thread is warranted!

Here we have a shiny mid-west example of a 2005 Mazda6. Recently purchased by yours truly, it comes with 132k miles, a stiff-as-hell clutch, some rear wheel well rust, a slightly ominous "wom, wom, wom" noise at freeway speeds, a CEL, and a <1/4 tank-of-gas stuttering issue.

Otherwise, it's the fastest car I've ever driven, with a 5-speed and V6. Zoom zoom indeed.

Oh man, that liftback...so cool.

It's actually going to be my wife's car. Good for her. I know she won't make the most of it, per se, but in light of that, I'd like to sort out the issues I've mentioned.

Clutch:

I heard a bleed is a good first start? Anything difficult about this? Do I need to pull a million other parts to accomplish this? Do I just crack a fitting and pump it and add more fluid? I'm a novice when it comes to clutch servicing.

For comparison, our Honda Fit clutch is insanely easier to actuate. I know it's a smaller setup, of course. But on the Mazda, I literally push my rear end back into the seat when I push the clutch down. I'm thinking that's kind of odd. Yet the clutch seems to engage very quickly when lifting your foot. And I can't get it to slip. I heard there is a rubber hose which can balloon and people replace it with a stainless variety, but I wouldn't think that would create this entire issue...

Gas tank:

I imagine there are two pickups in the tank. One for lower amount of fuel, and one for high? So maybe the low fuel pickup is kind of clogged. I haven't experienced it yet but the prior owner said it's basically a chugging effect, especially when cornering at low fuel levels. Does this vehicle likely have two separate pickups? I don't think I'm well equipped to drain the tank, drop it, and change the pump (or whatever it is). I did dump some seafoam in the tank because hey, why not?

Rust:

The easiest thing I think. I might just POR-15 it or something. Other thoughts? The prior owner got a quote which was around $1k to sort it all out on both left and right rear wheel wells. It's really not that bad, but I'd like to put a stop to it spreading.

Oscillating noise:

Maybe just an unbalanced wheel. Or maybe a wheel bearing about to peace out. It's just kind of a low pitch hum that pulses.

CEL:

I pulled codes P2177 and P2179. Could be an intake leak, O2, etc. It sounds like I don't need to worry about this. Engine temps are okay so I don't think it's messing up fueling and making it run super lean. I'm in Wisconsin, too, so they don't seem to smog cars (unlike when I lived in California...). But I'd like to fix it eventually.

Thanks!

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Yeah we thought our Fit was king of cargo but this is nearing full sheet of plywood territory.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

No, no, no, I have the 4cyl 4spd automatic version of this. Get rid of this car before it eats your wallet alive.

Why, what's going to happen?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Hmm, ok.

At the very least, the driver airbag was replaced and they're waiting on the passenger one. Good thing my wife and I don't road trip in it. That's what the Fit is for.

And yes, I welcome my salt overlords with open arms. I'm sure they will reclaim this vehicle soon. Inshallah.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

How are the displays on your dash holding up to the years? I have to press on the screen just to see the time and radio station I'm on and my gear counter says I have 1, 2, 3, and -| gears. The odo is the only one that actually remains completely functional.

Let me know if you ever hear a sloshing sound after a hard rain, I still can't figure out where the hell it comes from.

No sloshing. But yes some of the radio pixels are dead. It's still usable.

I did take it to the dealer today for a quick once-over. Will likely switch to an indie mechanic for future things. Oddly, they didn't try to upsell me on anything including what I consider a stiff clutch. Maybe midwest dealers are nicer than SoCal dealers? Seems that way from our Honda dealer too.

Mazda dealer found a crack on the underside of a plastic section of intake. So that got replaced and it seems to have solved the CEL lean code. Thankful it wasn't O2 sensor related. But I'm sure that will happen eventually...

But yeah...that clutch is still really stiff I think. I dunno.

And as for the low fuel surging. Haven't actually experienced it myself and the dealer said these cars don't have a low fuel pickup which I thought caused the issue.

Any thoughts on why <1/4 tank will cause surging?

• Locked thread