Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Can you still firebird luck economy in this version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Green Intern posted:

I believe the bird economy was discussed earlier in the thread.

Hoooo boy. 72 turns is a loooong time for bird economy to build and compound.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The fuckup I always make is scripting teleportation then selecting the units and clicking somewhere they can't move, which cancels their orders, then wondering why they never showed up.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:stare:

Could you do this in Dom3 too?

Yes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

this is what probably should have happened the turn after Arcane Nexus went up tbh

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Arcane Nexus income increases proportionately to gem expenditure, so Mo Money just means Mo Pearls from the Nexus.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Some paths are good with certain research but bad when you hit others. Like, Air is excellent but then you hit Confusion and whoops. Same for Fire and Phoenix Pyre.

Astral is always bad, though. Nature is almost entirely research dependent. Earth can vary a lot depending on if the enemy is bad against projectiles. Death is usually good. Water can also vary a lot, low-W mages usually just buff but high-W can go nuts with off-script Freezing Mists or long-range Frozen Heart.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That, and/or everybody is working on completely ridiculous impractical superweapons to win the war instead, which I suppose is also not out of the question in Dominions.

What do you mean, that is maximum Dominions.

The people who wanted to win efficiently wouldn't have let it get to endgame.

How are u posted:

Fucker! Ferra contains a single visible magic site giving us an incredible +1 Death a turn. It is turn 88, so I feel that it is safe to assume that most players have pretty thoroughly searched their provinces, which means that Ferra is a dud. Like I said: this isn’t the most exciting turn!

Protip, automatic remote searching spells will skip provinces that have been remote searched in that path by other players. Or they used to and I see no reason that has changed.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Timely preparation is definitely one of the most important things. If you have the tactics you need ready and you're able to wield them and you're already prepared to adapt to potential counters and you have this ready to go while the opponent is still preparing then you'll probably win. That doesn't mean there isn't potential, though. A lot of nations count on a turnaround against rush nations once their early game battlemagic is researched, for example, to varying degrees of effectiveness.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Yeah Armageddon is pretty much the only late-game strategic blood counter, not having it is terribly biasing.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Regen only fails on lifeless undead.

You don't see supercombatants often anymore because of the difficulty of giving immunities and the issue of bleeding and more common wounds, both of which make it difficult to make your SC uncounterable anymore. Plus there are less gems (in games that aren't this one) and people have gotten better at synergistic endgame options across a wide variety of units / rituals / battlefield magic and you don't have to take every province to win anymore.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Awe gear is great on thugs in the midgame when you're fighting regular troops, but limited on SCs when you have to hack through 7000 skeletons you wish you had vine shield or fire shield. It's still of some use though, it just depends on path access, gems, and who you're fighting.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

It's far too late in the game for this, but Mammoths do very well in Darkness since it's a massive debuff to the primary defense against trample. That's, uh, more an early-midgame strategy though rather than one that will work if it's Utterdark.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Not really but kind of, yes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Well...my understanding is that the AI will practice some discretion with gem use and will actually go off script if it feels that ordered gem use is unwarranted (to prevent a single scout triggering a doomstack into spending hundreds of gems on buffs), but the horror spam seems to be enough to overwhelm that threshold pretty reliably. If the doomstack's orders were altered in such a way that the horrors efficiently got wrecked in a couple of turns before the full might of the doomstack activates, then that would save a lot of gems, but then your orders are probably worse for fighting another doomstack when that attack eventually happens. Being beyond the pants-making GBS threads threshold for mages also seems to mean they will pour out gems like water if allowed to go entirely off-script.

Again, I don't play, but I can't think of any strategy that would guarantee conserving gems for the big fight without also making your army worse at fighting a big fight. I think at best you'd have to rely on some one-shot spells and hope that those are good enough for fighting the main army (...ignoring the fact that the majority of accurate one-hit-wonder spells are touch range and thus terrible ideas for ever using for anything). I could just be overlooking something, but I can't think of an approach that reliably ensures the doomstack can deal with both sizes of threat with the correct amount of force.

There is a strategy but it's not a very good one for, uh, reasons.

Basically, you double up on important mages, and you fly the second set into the province in the normal movement phase. This ensures that they still hold gems for any second battle in normal movement. Flying means their route in can't be cut. It doesn't work for castle storms, which is when you're most likely to face a double battle. It doesn't work if your opponent anticipates it and can successfully assassinate or otherwise engage the extras.

Of course, the problem is if you double up your best mages, then you might as well have a second doomstack.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, so, what's the counter to the damage-reversal effect that Gath's been rolling with on its blessed troops this entire game? Like, are there any attacks that bypass the effect?

The Blood 9 blessing? Magic resistance and mind control.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

"Sire, the oceans have turned to blood, fissures to the underworld have opened from which pour forth the hordes of darkness, the fires of hell burn brightly in every major city, and the only light from the sky is from meteors falling from the heavens. This world is hosed."

"But it is mine." *claims final throne*

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Death Panel has a different meaning when it is chaired by literal THE Death.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The implication is they get lured out into the void and eaten by horrors.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

optimizing the location of your firebirds seems like thinking too hard

just make more firebirds earlier and spread them out a bit so you don't get chumped by something like remotes or a surprise cap siege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

tbf that's every game of Dominions that's not a MA Marignon victory

• Locked thread