Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I really like Dom threads. So happy to see an update.

I tried to play Dom 3 with goons but I just didn't have the time to learn the game well enough. I kept getting killed to things I didn't know how to counter. I think the big one was mind flayers, when I worked out my only hope was Mindless Automatons it was already too late. Great game to read about though!

As for the LP in progress, that Dom crash is really scary, I wouldn't be surprised if he was preaching all your borders. Do the batman get any stealthy priests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

How are u posted:

That is a lot of monkeys, but it is also a pretty vulnerable army as you seem to have clued in on. Patala is, unfortunately, pretty uniquely unprepared to fight Man. Man, as we've seen, is an archer nation, utilizing longbows and crossbows in huge numbers screened by Knights or heavy infantry. Patala has access to super cheap, easily massed archers, but they're shortbow archers, and thus they are dogshit in the Late Age. Patala also does not have -any- recruitable troops with which they can screen their archers! The largest shield you can get on an ape is a Buckler, which is barely technically a shield it is so small. Not to mention Patala has no troops outside of it's blessed Naga Warriors who can take on a squad of Man's knights.

The odds are stacked pretty hard against the monkeys here.

Against Man aren't bows totally useless anyway? I didn't spot any crossbow monkeys in the screenshot but you mention them, do Patala get them in LA?

Edit: Doh, I see it now, it's Man that has the crossbows!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 4, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Libluini posted:

In this gimmick game however, we can have sometimes absurd numbers of troops on the field and when you pin down hundreds of units with hundreds of units into a giant melee, your hundreds of bow men/apes/things can do an astonishingly amount of damage.

Especially if you are fighting someone who has been duped into throwing large amounts of expensive cavalry around because we have all the money now -but no archers to fire on your archers, so they just sit there unmolested, pumping out one huge cloud of arrows after another.

But yeah, that short time spend basking in glory ends as soon as enough poo poo hits the archers to make them rout, or if magic poo poo like darkness and mist happens. But eh, we're still in the early phase here. Still, if you send up shortbows against real archers, you better have spend some thought on preventing them from just getting hit by 1000+ arrows into their stupid faces and routing immediately.

You will see this in the future (if howareu remembers to continue posting my videos), when my bad flying archers actually meet some real archers and get dunked on. And then you'll see some battles where that doesn't happen because it's kind of hard to outrange flying archers if they're properly scripted...

Does Dom4 have the same bug feature that Dom3 had where the sound of your archers firing is magnified by each archer so when 50+ all fire at once it is a deafening sound?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This Dom situation is really scary, I hate to think what the factions that can't blood sac are thinking right now.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

How are u posted:

There aren't any spells that directly destroy Temples as far as I am aware.

Is there not a spell that causes the earthquake event in a province? I am sure I remember reading about it in the past. Someone started having a lot of earthquake events trigger and originally thought it was a Chaos scale Dom pushing them but when it started hitting their cap they realised it was an attack. May have been a mod a spell in Dom3.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I love horrors and people who have a "If I can't can't have the world no-one can!" philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's... impressive! The odds on that sort of thing have got to be pretty low, don't they?

I have also never played a Dominions game, but I've read some LPs; IIRC the result of a player dying is that any provinces that are still "theirs" become unowned independent provinces again. When a player dies because they got attacked to death, that's usually not an issue, but a domkill can potentially mean a suddenly-gaping mass of indep provinces where everyone scrambles to rush in and grab everything they can. The dead player's armies are still there, but now they're AI-controlled and thus significantly less difficult to steamroll, so the territory is usually all claimed in a few turns unless there were any serious doomstacks sitting around.

People who actually know what they're talking about may correct me on any of the above.

Another important thing to mention is that player capital provinces are a huge boon and there would be a massive scramble to get that cap province.

• Locked thread