Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Cathode Raymond posted:

So if I am understanding this right, Gath is a nation with a ruling class dominated by literal giants, a soldiery dominated by vampires and demons, and a police force made up almost exclusively of wolves? Like, feral wolves? And their economy is completely dependent on - and centered around - the execution of ordinary humans?

Giants and vampires and wolves seem like an unlikely coalition, and I can't imagine why you would stay in Gath if you were just a farmer or something. But I guess the wolves probably make pretty effective emigration police too if there are enough of them.

Yeah but he's cut taxes.

e: to the bone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loxbourne posted:

Is Blood the go-to power source, or are people just focusing on it because Gath is a nation that can use it well? Whenever Dominions comes up I hear a lot about blood slaves and sacrifices, to the point where it sounds like all other magic is secondary and you have a serious handicap if you pick a non-blood nation.

Blood has a pair of strong advantages. It's a gem type that lets you trade gold for gems through hunting in more provinces, which is great because gold becomes significantly less useful in the lategame, since there are so many spells that destroy entire armies. And if you're in blood it's fairly common to be pulling in more blood slaves than you are of every other gem type combined. The second advantage is that all blood research is confined to the blood and construction schools. That makes it very easy to research good rituals, summons and battlemagic at the same time.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Corbeau posted:

The single best mod that could ever be made for dominions would be one that removes the useless trash spells and units from the game.

This is the "better independents" mod from Dominions 3.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
He might have burned through his pearl stockpile as well.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've looked at turning it back into a D&D setting and it would have been really good, but our group had to break up.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

So, if you Gift of Reason a "normal" version of a commander unit, it automatically unlocks the exact same powers it would have as a commander? What if you Gift of Reason a non-commander unit, how does the game set its magic paths(if any) and ability to command other units? Is there just some default minimum, does it randomly roll them, etc.?

Those values are required for every unit in the game, even ones that are just troops, in case they become commanders. And it may not surprise you, but I can't think of a single troop that has magic when empowered.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cerebral Bore posted:

There are a few troops that do, but IIRC those are all high-end summons.

Hah, I can't think of tarts or vastnesses as troops and not commanders because they get GoR'd so fast.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I once spent some time trying to make a D&D session with the premise of "it's year 2 in Dominions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

TheDemon posted:

tbf that's every game of Dominions that's not a MA Marignon victory

i didn't gently caress the world too badly when I essentially won an all ages game as jomon (it dies about 4 turns before I could take the last throne I needed)

I just filled it with dragons

• Locked thread