Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Mo Money sounds tedious enough to deal with in the first place and I feel like something like horror seeds would speed up people burning out. Like I would just be like alright I'm done you can have fun playing with yourself and walk away but then again I have the fortitude of a baby

Honestly my reaction to the horror seed fight was basically 'oh, actually this owns' because I realized that it turns my vampires into amazing suicide bombers. It is EVEN BETTER because when they bust out they end up laying siege to forts creating a far more deadly layer of horror PD. 'Don't they stop you recruiting?' 'ya but that is the vampire fort we make our own troops' 'and traveling out?' 'everything coming out of vampire fort is stealth flying who fukken cares'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

Gettin real deja vu here. In my current game, ~someone~ is horror seeding me and also has an S8 mass enslave casting golem with armor of virtue.

I am only doing one of those things.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cimbri posted:

As someone who has actually read the Art of War, these aren't in it. But he gets the gist of it.

The Dominions 4 IRC is basically a Three Kingdoms book club.

Also this was not a great turn, no. The problem with an master enslave golem is he can't be everywhere at once.

As for what I am going to cast well ho ho ho man that is going to be a story.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Eh, I think keeping the initiative is more important in Dominions than anything Sun Tzu emphasizes.

If you have a fort that is empty save for a single commander being sieged down, change his name to Zhuge Liang. When the enemy pings the fort and sees that, they will go 'ha ha nice try shitlord im not falling for it' and lift the siege.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

If you have a fort that is empty save for a single commander being sieged down, change his name to Zhuge Liang. When the enemy pings the fort and sees that, they will go 'ha ha nice try shitlord im not falling for it' and lift the siege.

also have that one commander be a turn 1 master enslave golem

Ramc
May 4, 2008

In a very real sense casting Armageddon worked insofar as casting it would effectively destroy the electronic world. If anything it worked -too- well.

oscarthewilde posted:

I'd say more of an alt-rightesque infowarrior, Probably even worse than a sovereign citizen (though less chance of him shooting a cop, I guess)

General Dire posted:

Here's hoping Ramc can pull something else out of his sleeve.

I will gently caress this world up.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 16, 2017

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I ride bikes all day posted:

Leads to a good question - why just threaten? He had the s9 to cast it. Did you just not have alt finished?

I have all the research. I wanted to give everyone a chance to back off and fight Gath because come on for serious look at him.

Istvun posted:

He might have burned through his pearl stockpile as well.

ha ha ha nope

Ramc
May 4, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If enough units worldwide desert due to Utterdark, maybe Armageddon can happen again!

This guy gets it.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's really a shame that so many of these games suffer from people not being able to or not wanting to participate any longer.

Pretty hilarious with the King of Flames, though. Poor scripting?

Fire Storm the battlefield spell and like Flame Storm or whatever the overrated evoc 9 spell have very similar names. I think that was the problem there.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Look the common people of Gath have lost their supernatural good health and long lives and now exist in a supernatural hellscape of eternal darkness lit only by the occasional bolt of lightning snuffing one of them out. While not huddling in fear from the giants hunting for virgins backed by roving packs of wolves devouring anyone who gets in the way all to fuel some demonic or vampiric nightmare creation being a citizen of Gath is probably really fun.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

Look the common people of Gath have lost their supernatural good health and long lives and now exist in a supernatural hellscape of eternal darkness lit only by the occasional bolt of lightning snuffing one of them out. While not huddling in fear from the giants hunting for virgins backed by roving packs of wolves devouring anyone who gets in the way all to fuel some demonic or vampiric nightmare creation being a citizen of Gath is probably really fun.

By the way spoiler I cast that with like a D8 or 9 caster with 999 death gems get used to the forever night.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Turn 97

Turn 97 begins with…wait…what happened to turn 97??

Turn 97 does not exist, turn 97 vanished into the ether. What really happened was that for the very first time in this LP I flubbed up, and I mismanaged my time to the point that I forgot how much time was left before the game turned and I never took the time to document and write-up turn 97. I did -play- the turn (the first thing I do is fully play the current game turn, then go back and write it up the following day), but there’s no record of it. For this I am very sorry!

Thankfully, turn 97 wasn’t a momentous or game-changing turn. We ping’d some Pangaean forts, stormed one or two others, and reinforced our siege of Bogarus’ fort in The Forgotten Woods. The most important thing that happened in turn 97 was that we successfully made the Seraph that we wished for a commander via Gift of Reason. I named him Kushiel, after a Hebrew Angel of Punishment, and I set him to cast a 700 Pearl Wrath of God. We’re stealing the -gently caress- out of that global.

can you prove i didn't win on turn 97

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Ramc also tried to appeal to our sense of honor and gamesmanship and basically requested that we attack his doom-stack, engaging in one titanic battle to usher in the next phase of his losing war.

gently caress. That.

Look at this unbelievable coward.

Green Intern posted:

A strong play in the metagame by Ramc.

It is important to remember the game actually ended several turns ago when I cast Armageddon, killing the server, and all of this since has just been the deathbed hallucination of a deeply insane machine brain.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

So wrong, and yet so right.

They'll probably lose the war, but that right there is moral victory. Granted, that huge, intricate magical machine would function a little better if it weren't being screwed over by Darkness effects, but there's still no stopping unscripted mages from blowing it all up in the most ridiculous best way possible. Fireworks and partying, hell yeah.

Who is the real loser, here? Me, or the guy who has to actually watch, screenshot, and document 100 wizards casting. Each turn probably took a few minutes even on fast forward.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Zereth posted:

To the best of my Dominions knowledge, the guy who had to script the wizards.

:smith:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

So how are we celebrating Turn 100 in Gath?

Huddling in the dark to hide from the vampires. Since the lightning stopped striking the people of Gath there is no longer any illumination at all as they slowly starve to death without the gift of health.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

Is there any way for Ramc to have his mages save their gems in the first phase when the horrors attack but also use them in the second fight other than giving them a large surplus of gems?

hahahah nope

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Finally we march towards toward the Final Battle and Ramc will be revealed to be a False God.

The humiliation of Ramc -- a goal I was never able to realize in the Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge thread -- will finally come to pass in a Dom 4 thread.

Having stepped very late into the game I will feel no shame if (IF) I lose.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Let me assure you that something terrible is fated to happen to the entire nation of Gath and the entire nation of Caelum.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

They'll become sunless nightmarish hellholes with populaces terrified and preyed upon by all manners of demonkind, greater undead and otherworldly horrors?

Oh, wait...

Something else.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They'll have to keep playing this game for months and months, micro-ing vast amounts of units in a soul-killing exercise long after you've gone to the beach?

Ok something else-else.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

thousands of caelian troops in Bogarus pour out a forty in unsettling, swirly-eye'd unison

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

The Master Enslave worked, but it just dominated a ton of lovely frankensteins and longdeads. Say that Master Enslave took 1/10 of Caelums chaff. The dominated units immediately attack their former comrades, but they're hugely outnumbered and won't last more than a couple battle rounds until they're all cleared away. Master Enslave is phenomenally useful if you can properly leverage it (with your own strong army). It rarely wins a battle outright on its own.

I think it is worse than that in that it doesn't work on mindless (most undead) units, like longdead.

You need a Control Undead dude to dunk that.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

I must have forgotten to document it, so I genuinely cannot remember!

It was something to the effect of 'Watch as I destroy the Entire Nation of Gath' before sending him to die against a stupidly strong army.

WELP.

I am sure that is the last we hear of him.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Behold, I have engineered the destruction of the entire nation of Gath!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

farraday posted:

Brilliant move by a player always thinking 10 turns ahead. This could really alter the balance.

As above, so below motherfuckers :smuggo:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, so, what's the counter to the damage-reversal effect that Gath's been rolling with on its blessed troops this entire game? Like, are there any attacks that bypass the effect?

It is an MR check so casting Antimagic can help but odds are you will still take plenty of damage. You can summon tons of chaff with things like horde of skeletons so they take the damage and you don't care, too. Damage from fatigue doesn't trigger it iirc so you can TRY to fatigue them to death.

Ulm is basically the counter because their national spells to cast a zillion anti magic shotgun blast iron needles are hard coded to ignore the B9 bless.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Hey now Draupnir is like a free temple every other turn.

:gitgud:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

"Now that I'm God, I could dispel the unnatural darkness that surrounds the world..."

"...but all of my undead and demonic minions have dark vision and my fiends are even MORE powerful with it up and really what did the -average- mortal do to enable my ascension and furthermore..."

Ramc
May 4, 2008

It is very important to note that an astral mage in an assassination battle is PROFOUNDLY STUPID with its spells. An S9 mage can cast spells that utterly save or die/enslave enemies with incredible penetration.

But they will cast ethereal form, luck, astral shield then punch ineffectually.

Give them a water bottle or something don't be like me.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I admit I've been hopping that Ramc would pull an upset with Bogarus ever since he subbed in, but congrats man. That is some serious effort you have put in for our entertainment, you absolutely deserve this. A shame libluini doesn't share in the spoils but I suppose that what happens to you if you play dominions whilst not being a psychopathic paranoiac. You just up being the dupes of those who are apparently.

(fun fact Bogarus' previous management had not really made firebirds outside of the cap)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Turn 113

:ughh:

God drat it. I hosed up the math!

Retrospective to follow in the next couple days.

Life comes at you fast.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

But...what became of Gath? What became of the nation of Gath? Did it endure forever? Did the vampires retire to the countryside? Did the number of wolf police decrease?

I hope the afterword is set to Don't Forget About Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

• Locked thread