Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm certainly no expert, but I've found that a mid-game Bless is quite useful if you have good Sacred summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

In a game like this with a lot of randomly-generated sites, can somebody be crippled by a whole lot of unrest they have no idea about?

You can always see the level of unrest in a province even if you haven't found the site that generates the unrest, so I don't think that this is possible unless you're bad at paying attention.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

So the answer is: "Yes, of course!" :v:

Well, you got me there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Ideas-guy moment: what if you did a Dom 4 game where everyone starts with some basic units and commanders, then after a year you rank everyone by some metric, then do a draft in reverse order that unlocks new units?

Wouldn't that just either lead to some weird snail race sitution where everybody is trying to do badly for the first year or not affect things at all depeding on whether the stuff you can get in the draft is better than the advantages conferred by a strong early expansion?

EDIT: This is, of course, leaving aside the question of whether Dom4 even allows you to add in new units to a nation after the game has started.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it seriously looks like you're starting to his the critical mass of vamps here. Not fun going up against that, and especially not when blood sac is going on.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the fun part here is that, unless I'm misremembering, How are u is also keeping the Throne of the Pantokrator in reserve, and when he finally claims that the game basically turns into a race against time for everybody else.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems to me that while you could horror mark a vamp lord it wouldn't really do much good, since the whole strategy behind vamps seems to be that you mass them like no tomorrow. So even if you get one badly marked vamp lord, there are more where he came from.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

That's why you don't mark one lord, you use poo poo like Astral Geyser to mark all of them.

Unless I'm mistaken that only works if the other player is dumb and keeps his lords bunched up.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

If you can bring a dozen mages who can cast a spell to a fight and script them to cast it three or four times each, you can overcome your enemy's dispersal of their guys.

I doubt this is a foolproof approach, but most things in Dom4 can be countered in some way or another. The game is about reacting to your enemy's reaction to your previous reaction to their previous action, ad nauseum, until it's over because someone grabbed enough thrones the end.

Problem is that you have to catch the vamp swarm first, which can be hard to do unless they're sieging a fort on their own for some reason. I suppose you can teleport a bunch of mages on top of the vamp swarm, but that doesn't seem like a very cost-effective approach since your mages are liable to get munched in short order since the defender gets the first turn.

A better counter would probably be to use stealthy or flying strike forces to kill the vampspammer's blood hunters and choke off his supply of blood slaves.

my dad posted:

Discounting the possibility of the enemy's stupidity is a good way to let them get away with it, though. :v:

On the other hand, this is also true.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

You catch the vamp swarm by noticing which of your provinces now has his candles in it, and scripting the mages there to spam astral geyser. Worst case scenario, they're in the wrong place, but eventually they'll be in the right place and if he's using a sizeable percentage of his vamps in that fight, you might horror mark all of them.

Sure, you'll probably catch them eventually, but when's eventually? Unless your mages are as mobile as the vamps, you could spend a lot of time chasing them around without ever catching up which ties up a lot of mages and troops that could be used for better purposes. It just seems like expending a lot of effort for questionable gain when there are easier methods available.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best thing to have is probably stuff that damages enemies that try to attack you. The second best would be stuff that does AoE damage. You also want fear to rout that chaff.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Liches have D4 so they can forge both the normal D boosters, which can be useful. You do get them pretty late, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Too late.

Well, yes, in virtually every case this is true.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The problem with Liches is esssentially that if you're a big D nation you're probably going to have recruitable D4 casters (or at least D3 and enough D income to empower one to D4), so why would you need them? On the other hand, if you're not a big D nation it doesn't really make sense to research all the way up to Ench 8 just for Liches.

They can be useful if you're planning on going deep into Enchantment anyway as they let you bootstrap yourself to D6 casters from recruitable D2 casters, but that's more of a bonus than anything else.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

Is Lichcraft Enchantment or Thaumaturgy?

Anyway whenever liches show up they seem to be an afterthought to some other scheme, yeah.

It's Enchantment, if the mod inspector is to be believed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
On the other hand, the fact that the world of Dominions goes through an apocalyptic god war on a semi-regular basis should mean that there are plenty of bones to reanimate no matter where you are.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Fucks up his longbowswarm though.

Not as bad as an Alpha Strike of vamps does, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Empowering seems to be for when you have no other way to get a mage with the paths you want, yeah. If you can gear up or summon what you need that's always going to be more economical.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I think that's what I'm looking for in my first game. I'll check it out, thanks.

Just make sure that you don't get MA Ermor in the game and you should be fine.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

I love that some of the more arcane (compared to the standard arcane) mechanics are in a Japanese wiki. Illwinter is a Sweedish company. Makes me feel like I'm researching with a lightness lantern irl.

So what you're saying is that your research will eventually lead to you being consumed by a monstrosity from beyond time and space?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Istvun posted:

Those values are required for every unit in the game, even ones that are just troops, in case they become commanders. And it may not surprise you, but I can't think of a single troop that has magic when empowered.

There are a few troops that do, but IIRC those are all high-end summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think that this thread really should be required reading in Dominionsology 101 on why you should drop everything and dogpile the fucker who puts up the Nexus immediately.

• Locked thread