Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nanomashoes posted:

Spring hawks are devastating in newbie games.

Spring hawks are devastating, period. Newbies just don't know to avoid them. Experienced players just see the province and proceed to ignore it for 50 turns, and then get halfway owned by it anyway.

gently caress spring hawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

I had this weird idea of loading up scouts with that one fire item which makes you explode when you die, and then sending them in to get swarmed with spring hawks. Never got around to testing if this actually works or if the spring hawks just zap them from afar without getting a scratch.

5 gems and one mage turn per item x like 10 items

orrrrrrrrrrr get the 25 square shock resistance spell and Do A Magic at them

:shrug:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I mean, Howareu has L2 so a single scale of misfortune is not going to kill him, and the pearl income is pretty absolutely worth it. Plus, this is a mo money game, so really you don't have to worry about misfortune too much because you can just boost the poo poo out of your PD and handle 95% of indy attacks that way.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck spring hawks goddamn

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm incredibly hype for you to get owned in the blind storm :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it normal for an AI opponent to hang in there that long? Or do they usually get chewed up in short order?

Yep! One of the bigger mistakes you can make is devoting too many resources to eating an AI when you have bigger fish to fry. I've seen early game AIs make it to endgame just because they kept a fort or two filled with summoned bullshit that nobody ever got around to finally knocking down. A Mo Money game is a double-edged sword in this regard - you can pump out innumerable legions of siege chaff, but then so can the AI, meaning that if you leave forts unsieged they will balloon with 5g militia.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Call in ya boy Scabiel.

...actually, is there any sane way to get the Maker of Ruins to, ya know, make ruins? I was under the (possibly mistaken) perception that Doom Horrors don't really take to being ordered around and just disappear or something even if you can leash one.

Not really. As far as Doom Horrors go, Scabiel is sorta the booby prize of the bunch. Horrors have whatever the defector trait is at a very high percentage, which means that each turn they roll a very high success rate to determine whether or not they're under your control anymore.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Alternatively, do drafts and don't be bad at drafting/modding/not going AI

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

If Man had given up, wouldn't it be expected that he'd go AI?

If he's pulled back without going AI, it'd seem more like he's either consolidating for a push back, or buying time for some sort of "gently caress everyone"-strategy to just cause chaos and misery as intensely as possible with big spells or summons.

It depends. Some people bitch at you if you go AI while having any means at all to fight back. Some people don't go AI because they don't want to be that guy that everyone knows will go AI as soon as pressure gets put on them. Some people don't go AI because they want to spite their invader as hard as humanly possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I had also forgotten that LA R'lyeh doesn't exist anymore, so no more summoning extra-dimensional abominations as mini-horrors, which was probably one of the things you could summon to beat a Grigori in terms of what to wish for.

Yes they do.

Wishing is good and fun, especially if you're pelagia and can convert gems to pearls at 1:1 because wishing for gems gets you 125 gems total. Wish engines are hell to get started and basically require arcane nexus and potentially a discount site but if you're at that point you probably just get to win the game by constantly wishing for friends/provinces/armageddon

I got wishing going in precisely one game and I wish I'd known then what exactly I could do with it.

• Locked thread