Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Count me as another fan of Dominions even if the game itself is utterly baffling.

Sort of like Dwarf Fortress, but with a nicer soundtrack.

EDIT: I'm also a fan of LPs with actual nations than draft LPs, because the nations themselves are the characters of the game. Seeing the progression of nations through the ages is neat.

They're really poorly balanced, although it is neat seeing strategies attempt to overcome how lovely a nations troop or mages are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

How are u posted:

The complete lack of balance is half of the fun and all of the charm, as far as I'm concerned. "Balance" has never been something the Dominions creators have seemed particularly interested in, and the fact that some nations are kind of straight up dog-poo poo offers a somewhat fun way to handicap great players. Can you take one the worst nations in an Age and win against all odds? If your name is Nuclearmonkee then you probably can and will! I've always held the opinion that to try to bring all of the nations into parity would remove a lot of what makes the game special to me.

Oh i'm inclined to agree

Although i did really like the baddraft stuff.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I think removing worthless things from the game just makes whatever AI the game uses better, as if it can't use a thing, then it will use another thing.

Optimally in Dominions 1235619 Illwinter will recreate it with a better not lovely game engine and coding practices.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Libluini posted:

Dominions is something two weirdos from Scandinavia do in their spare time, just for fun. So you'd better not hold your breath on that.

There's a reason i said dominions 1235619

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

1235620 better patch these loving void units i swear to the emperor

You're supposed to loving pray before you use them, idiot, they're not broken

God its like you want to summon a chaos god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, they're static values, and for most units they're still zilch.

...after spending a few minutes poring through the mod viewer, literally the only summonable units I could find that innately have magic paths but aren't commanders (aside the majority of Tartarian Titans, the famous example) are the angelic hosts that come with some of the mass angelic summons at the top of the conjurations tree; these units, like Ophan, are mostly just H2 and H3 holy priests, though a few also have a smattering of low magic paths. There are probably a couple more units in the world that have magic but don't arrive as commanders, but I'd be willing to bet those are either from uncommon magic sites or are national summons or some other such rare edge case. Joe Dirt the Line Chaff isn't secretly going to know any magic.

Maybe Void Gate units like Vastness need to be commanderized? The mod viewer doesn't make that case very clear.

I don't recall the name since its been a bit but yeah the orby collection critters from r'lyehs gate get magic when commanderized

• Locked thread