Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm incredibly boring, in Dom 4 I really like playing LA R'Lyeh or Ermor with Dominion jacked up huge, just to cause massive fuckery of insanity or undeath in anything that gets near me.

Tends to make everyone rush to kill you before their armies are gibbering or they're up to their elbows in skeletons. It's been a while since I played, but with Ermor in longer games, it was definitely possible to create enough undead that the game simply crashed when trying to run a battle because it couldn't figure out how to handle those living waves of corpses. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

How are u posted:

Next turn: More boring site-searching and building of infrastructure, but I will also write a turn 20 reflection of how I feel we are doing and what I wish I could have changed or done better!

Is the answer that you wish you could have murdered more enemies and bathed in their blood?

But yeah, what's the plan, ultimately? Does Gath benefit from a long, slow turtling for some awesome national summons and superspells? Or do they have good enough starting dudes that it's just about learning a few spells/grabbing a few artifacts for commanders, and then murdering other nations before they can get their own super-stuff online?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jesus, 222 pearls. That's loving expensive, though it looks reasonably tough. But it feels like it's not really on the same level as some of the other level 9 path summons. Does it have any noteworthy interesting differences in its other forms? Does it become more powerful? Or just differently flavoured?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit I've always been a BIT vague on the Dominion mechanics. But is it at all possible for hostile dominion to sweep into a province that has one of your temples? Or are they entirely safeguarded?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I've rarely had a lot of wrangle with being domkilled because I tend to have my dom score at 9 or 10 candles right out of chargen. At best it means I'm the one doing the domkilling, at worst it means that trying to domkill me is a relatively fruitless endavour.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I don't think LA Ermor exists anymore.

Isn't MA Ermor what LA Ermor used to be? New LA Ermor has a different name and supposedly their freespawn is garbage, and their dominion is no longer pure poison.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Any chance of a zoomed-out map with the borders painted in? Just to get an impression of who's where, I lose track a bit sometimes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, yeah, those temples on your borders need to DIE.

Are there any spells that target enemy temples for destruction, specifically?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's with the asterisk by "impossible"?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Awwww, goats.

I'm kind of disappointed that they don't have any special, ridiculous powers or incredible niche uses where they're overpowered. Now how am I gonna kill an enemy Pretender with a goat?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's a shame the goat isn't an option for a Pretender chassis.

Also, by "attracting a dragon," do you mean attracting a dragon ATTACK or attracting a dragon ALLY?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the spell scripting on your mages like? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, the Pangaea/Xibalba border looks like an absolute mess.

Is there any way to tell whose Dominion is encroaching on yours, except by what side effects it has?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How are u posted:

Also, as y'all can see our Dominion score graph is showing that we're making gains, but our border with Xibalba looks about as bad as it has ever been. That means that we're making gains somewhere else.

So someone else is getting a really good reason to attack Gath. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do we know which throne it is in Javal Kish?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Won't the Throne of Death be a pretty bad blow since it'll start hurting your pop growth and therefore your gold income/supply?

Also, with regards to Blood Slaves, does Dom 4 still have that thing where blood-hunting characters pop the blood slaves into their own inventory rather than the empire supply? Forcing you to manually clear them out of their inventories every time they've hunted some up?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, yeah, Growth 3 would negate a lot of the issue with that.

Good to know about the lab thing, I actually had no idea that feature was in there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How could you "steal" a script?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If you have Growth 3 and capture a Growth +1 throne, is it possible to get Growth 4? Or is 3 the absolute max on any scale, and the last +1 is just to reverse the effects of Growth -1 stuff?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the plan for that glut of gems? It feels like you're just hoarding some of the gem types.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How are u posted:

You can see on the turn-report that Sabba, our Hero, is casting Pack of Wolves, spending Nature gems to summon mass quantities of lovely little wolves which we're going to use to patrol down unrest generated by Blood Hunting.

That's actually kind of a hilarious dystopian setting thing. Not quite thematically on-theme for Gath, but some ruthless nature cult that kidnaps the young and life-filled for dark rituals, and the rebels against their ways are hunted down by frenzied animals and wild things from the woods.

Blood slave pool looks pretty low, though. Is it all the dominion-sacrificing that's eating them up?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That seems like a weird bunch of dudes to send at some shades. You'd figure seven low-level holy dudes who could banish them or something, but seven generic commanders?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At this point, does any one nation have enough Thrones to be a genuine danger in terms of grabbing enough to win the game?

Also, are there any thrones more powerful/dangerous than the ones we've seen so far? Or is the Throne of the Sky/Heavens the top level of Throne challenge? And isn't: "Gee, I bet brute force can handle it!" how that one other nation lost a shitload of dudes to the Throne of the Sky earlier in the game? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's so super scary about that Pangean army aside from the size?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the "Dark Power" score on the Fiend of Darkness? And does the Demon trait entail anything other than being vulnerable to demon-targeting stuff?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are there any special sites that are unique to certain kinds of terrain? Or can any sort of site technically pop up in any sort of province?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are there even any blood-themed sites? Or only Astral, Fire, Air, Earth, Water, Nature and Death?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So are all the summoned vampire lords going to be set to the task of summoning more vampire lords? Because exponential vampire hordes sounds awesome. Do they have any weaknesses other than general undead-targeting stuff?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm guessing that the non-Lord vampires are literally just Vampire Lords with a bit less of everything?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Any chance of a fresh zoom-out with delineated borders? Because it looks like Man has a pretty big chunk of the map, and I'm curious to see how it lines up vs Gath and Pan.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Assuming Man crumbles before the pincer attack, is this shaping up to be a Gath vs Pan end-game showdown? Or are some of the other players also dangerously big?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does the AI know any sort of subtlety or strategy or is it just good at building big doom-blobs and sending them at anything it perceives as weaker than itself?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Any strategy that relies mainly on skeletons is a good strategy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are you still pushing communion with blood slave sacrifices? Or is the Gath dominion just "naturally" pushing back Man's enough to invade Knobville?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does fatigue affect all units? Or are some, like demons/elementals/mindless undead excepted?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So what's the counter to your Stomp Wizard Barrage? Flying units? Does Man even have an appreciable amount of those?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Imprint Souls sounds like the sort of spell that's only useful against someone who forgets their Province Defense in some backwater location and puts the entirety of their military on the border.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How are u posted:

Like the guy above said: zero gold upkeep for Vampires, Demons, and most gem summons. We are slowly (very slowly) transitioning from a gold-based economy to a blood-based economy. Our income scales are such poo poo that, in the past ten turns or so, we've had to cut mage recruitment drastically across our kingdom, so the more strength we can draw from non-gold resources the better!

Clearly the blood standard is superior to the gold standard, since it gives the government more fiscal control. Too much blood in circulation? It's easy, if upsetting, to take some out of the system!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is it normal for an AI opponent to hang in there that long? Or do they usually get chewed up in short order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This Dom 4 game totally needs more Doom Horrors, I'm with that statement.

• Locked thread