Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Does Plague work fast enough to have an effect in the battle its cast in? Or does it infect enemies in combat, but act on a global turn time scale, so it's more for suicide-bombing enemy armies and then letting them rot in the subsequent turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
What's the effect of Arcane Nexus?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Stellar Focus seems pretty wimpy for a global enchant, +5 gems every turn? That's not a HUGE deal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If Man had given up, wouldn't it be expected that he'd go AI?

If he's pulled back without going AI, it'd seem more like he's either consolidating for a push back, or buying time for some sort of "gently caress everyone"-strategy to just cause chaos and misery as intensely as possible with big spells or summons.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Awesome, I'm glad Man was just pulling back for a last-ditch effort, not actually surrendering.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Whoah now, loving with the blood hunters, that ain't cool.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Won't Rigor Mortis also lock up your own earthquake-casting mages? Or are they likely to get off their heavy magic before they get KO'd and take a nap for the rest of the battle?

Secondly, are liches worth summoning? Because liches are cool.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pash posted:

Their own earthquakes will probably knock them out well before Rigor Mortis does.

If I'm not remembering completely wrong, How Are U hooked his mages up with some flying items so they'd be immune to their own quakes. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How about the Eater of the Dead? I always felt like it was kind of underwhelming in power, but SUPER rad in concept. Someone let me know if I'm missing some sort of SICK PRO STRAT there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So ultimately, what did those two Golem thugs accomplish? Disrupting blood hunting in one province and forcing you to spend a turn reconquering one other province?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow, I thought Enchanted Forests would just put out minor harassing swarms, but goddamn, that's a pretty nasty group. Definitely enough to overwhelm most PD and often probably more than that.

You're not suffering much from it because you have a pretty powerful dominion backed up by blood sacrificing, but I wonder whether it's giving Pan a headache.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is there any way to positively affect province pop growth aside from random events, positive growth scales and time? Any spells or items that generate more peasants/accelerate pop growth?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

What are these MA EA LA acronyms?

Middle Age, Early Age, Late Age.

While some nations only exist in one age, several of them exist in two, or even three ages, and while they tend to share some common themes, they never have exactly the same selection of units, and sometimes nation-specific spells vary as well. The usual "theme" is that the early ages have more "magic" and fantastic creatures, while the later ages are slightly more down to earth(for a given meaning of that term, a bit less high fantasy). And a given game being played can only feature nations from one of the three ages.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does Enchantment 9 unlock any other cool stuff? And what's the next research direction?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What're the maths for globals bumping each other? Is it just straight-up, if more gems are spent, the old Global gets knocked off the peg? Or is there a roll which is weighted based on the # of gems spent, but requires more than the original number to have any chance of success?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Which throne is the one in the Cacevic Highlands, anyway? Anything particularly useful?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Looking forward to seeing what crazy poo poo the Might of Zionism ends up doing in there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What are those weird black and purple things all over the battlefield in the Ragha meatgrinder? Summons? Spell projectiles? Weird terrain features?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

IMJack posted:

I think they're supposed to be flowering cacti.

In Dominions that wouldn't necessarily rule out them being a spell or a weird national summon unit. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was a surprisingly peaceful turn.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are there really no cool Thaumaturgy spells we're eager to cast a shitload of so we can leverage the Thaumaturgy bonus?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

I guess I never realized just how many skeletons you can spam out. How the hell would someone else fight a screen-filling ocean of them? AoE's and spells that nuke Undead specifically?

Patience. Just let them make enough skeletons and victory will be yours... because above a certain army size, Dominions has a tendency to just melt down and crash to desktop on trying to process things, I learned this playing Ermor. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That's some nice, strong dominion there.

Also, with regard to thrones, can there be more than one of the same throne in a given world?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Considering the province negatives that the demon lord brings, I'd figure that you'd want to arm him up and hurl him at the front lines as fast as possible to get that stuff out of your own empire.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Thing is, this is counterable. Pan and Bogarus can put 5-10 priests in every border province and temples in every province to more or less ensure that their domain stays in place. They won't be projecting dominion, but it's entirely possible to protect it.

If their dominion crumbles in any provinces before they get that set up, though, or if something kills their priests, suddenly that province will be ripe for vampires to tear things up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

With Belial causing Unrest and having some Stealth, it seems like he'd be ideal for sending spelunking into important enemy provinces. With those paths, if he's caught, he could probably give a decent accounting of himself.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Microcline posted:

Moral costs are insignificant when the object is omnipotence, and it would be insane to not acquire a stockpile of world ending doom horrors when the Bogarussians are also interested in acquiring one.

Mr. Pantokrator, we must not allow a horror gap!

EDIT: Also does the Wrath of God murdery give any sort of rundown on what you lost? Or is it on you to be omniscient and figure out whether you lost some irrelevant wolves or important defensive lynchpins?

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 1, 2017

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wasn't the plan also to cast Gift of Health this turn? Or did I miss that happening/being postponed?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Amazing work by the vamp lords there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Isn't holding four out of five globals the sort of thing that might rally reasonable opponents against you if they realize you've suddenly grabbed that much of the magical sphere?

Also, with regards to casting new globals when there are five already present, does it automatically challenge the weakest present hostile global? A random hostile global? Or is there a chance it could actually unseat one of your own?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That golem trick looks ridiculously effective. Is there any real counter other than "use units with high magic resistance, moron."? And is there any reason that not EVERYONE has a half dozen of those guys hanging around to effortlessly wipe the floor with large enemy armies? The pure expense of crafting a similar tough dude? Even without the unique Armor of Virtue, it seems to be doing pretty well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Worms that Walk have DOUBLE immortality? How does that work?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the fastest or cheapest path to a unit capable of casting Master Enslave, assuming you're up to the path level required in the requisite magic school? I'm assuming the Golem isn't exactly the fastest/cheapest way there, but chosen because it's a very sturdy chassis for your investment to avoid a single lucky arrow or assassin ruining it all?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pretty hilarious that the vampires going off-script choose the right spell to cast.

How clever is the AI about those picks, in any case? Is it mostly up to random chance whether they're useless or useful? Or does the AI possess some awareness of what it's clever to utilize?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The surprise ending is that HAU ends up Horror Seeding too much and the horrors are the eventual winners of the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was a rad battle. Is there any good counter here for Fog Warriors with the currently fielded units?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

From what I'm hearing, most people's focus when they want to get the appropriate paths on a mage is gear. Empowering seems pretty rare. Is there any case where empowering is a superior choice? Or is it always less economical(both because it costs more and because while the gear can be recycled if the owner dies, it's otherwise a lost pile of gems with an empowered caster)?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A lot of these conflicts seem pretty much decided from day one by the preparation that one or the other of the participants made long before the battle ever happened.

How often does someone in a Dom4 game actually manage an upset via clever strategy once they've been put on the back foot?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Do immortal vampires retain their seed after they die? If yes, I see potential.

What happens if a Horror Seeded unit gets killed outside of battle? Like if an event or a spell kills the unit? Does the Horror still burst out and attack the province?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's really a shame that so many of these games suffer from people not being able to or not wanting to participate any longer.

Pretty hilarious with the King of Flames, though. Poor scripting?

• Locked thread