Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, that's a reasonable rate for quite good researchers, gives you a nice chance of breaking into any paths you're still missing, and is a nice cherry on the cake of having a free Eyes of God.

I mean, I guess what's amusing to me is that it's a really good holy site, but who's going around site-searching with H3 priests? Or priests at all, for that matter?

That is the real issue with the hidden holy sites - there aren't many, and more than a few nations don't even have access to recruitable H3 priests, only their prophet who usually has better things to do. And there's no sitesearch spell other than the incredibly expensive Akashic Knowledge (which reveals ALL sites, but costs 25 pearls) that hits holy sites. As you mentioned, even those nations that do have recruitable H3s normally also have far better things to do with them - any H sites found will normally be incidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The real pain comes when an (actual) A4/5 mage is added into the mix, and Fog Warriors goes up first turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The really annoying thing is that there are two sites that need H4 to find. Aside from Wishing for Seraphs (which is extremely late-game), the only realistic way ANY nation can get an H4 is by prophetizing an H3 - and many nations don't get those. A very few nations have H4 national heroes too, but that's down to pure luck. In either case you'll basically always have better things to do with H4s than go site searching.

Also, you actually aren't guaranteed to find Holy sites if the province is killing undead/demons, because there are sites under other paths that do it too. While the most powerful undead/demon-killing site that's searchable is Holy (and requires H4 to find), the second-most powerful is actually an Air site. I want to say there are 6 searchable sites total that have that effect, and half of them are non-Holy paths. Hell, mentioned Air site (The Rainbow Shroud) is the most valuable killing site too, as its income is A2N2, whereas the others at most give 1 gem.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How are u posted:

This guy is wearing a Shroud of the Battle Saint in order to get the benefits of our great bless, and also carrying a Charcoal Shield which gives him a Fire Shield effect, meaning that anybody who tries to attack him by hand takes 7 points of fire damage each time. I’m not equippting our Bane Lord generals as combatants, but rather with an eye towards fending off Pangaea’s Dryad assassins. Pangaea is like -the- assassination nation in every Era of the game. Dryads can Seduce enemy commanders, which rarely results in Pan stealing a free commander or mage from his opponent. When Seduction fails, however, the Seduction target and the seducing Dryad engage in a 1 on 1 assassination battle. The best way to win those battles is to have the Dryad scripted to cast Swarm, which summons a bunch of misc. insects that basically slowly sting the target to death. The Regeneration from our bless and the Fire Shield should foil all of the most basic Dryad assassins.

I'm seeing a potential minor flaw in this plan. Anyone else notice it? :v:

Though it does depend on just how much attention Pan is paying to their dryad scripting and how many gems they're loaded with.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Assuming you give your own stuff fire protection, Fire Storm is another good one. This has the bonus effect of incinerating all vampires on the field extremely quickly too, since they're actually vulnerable to fire (take a significant amount of extra damage, and do not go out naturally once they start burning).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The point of firebird economy is to stuff all your forts with them. Given how many Bogarus forts we're seeing the contents of that DON'T have firebirds in them, I'm suspecting the player is not, in fact, running a firebird economy. I don't know why you wouldn't if you wanted to play Bogarus, and at this point in the game there's no real reason you shouldn't have one even if you weren't initially planning to, but there you go.

Also, Horror Seed is not a very good spell.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

We need the Horrors over there, to prevent having the Horrors here.

Can you elaborate on why? I don't really play Dominions, just sort of follow these LPs, but it sounds like it might not really do anything unless the army you cast it into gets in a fight and the afflicted unit dies? In which case I could imagine it backfiring if you happen to be the one fighting them, and your forces are part of the mentioned "everything alive" that the unleashed Horror attacks.

I can also imagine some weird interactions with the concept of "when the unit dies" vis a vis vampires' immortality.

Basically, it's an extremely gimmicky spell that requires rather high paths and you'd be better getting multiple mages up to S3B4 for Horror spam instead. And the effect is incredibly underwhelming - I've been seeded before, and while it's annoying, the effort to deal with it this late in the game is minimal. For one, it's possible to pick out potential hosts if you suspect you're being seeded, which means you can suicide them.

It's actual effect is it implants a random commander or troop in the target province with a "master" horror. Occasionally the master will seed other troops or commanders with what we'll call a parasitic horror. Parasitic horrors will on rare occasions blow up their hosts, which causes a province attack. I think the master horror can also just horror mark people occasionally too. Both these effects are not particularly fast or common, and have little impact in actual army movement (the master horror still functions fine as whatever unit it's seeded in). Finally, if the master horror's host is killed, you get a horror popping out. Note that horrors are (almost) never under any player's control, so released horrors will cheerfully attack either side.

To clarify, when I say master or parasitic, they can both be one of a number of different horrors, but I'm pretty certain neither can be the unique ones. As Send Horror is both cheaper in slaves, costs less paths, AND can randomly hit a province with a Doom Horror, it's generally the better spell in nearly all cases - along with being earlier on the research tree.

To elaborate on a different point (horrors sticking around), I think that only happens if horrors hit a province that has absolutely no troops in it, including PD. Or someone starts Wishing for Doom Horrors.

Crazycryodude posted:

Has Ramc ever lost a game? I remember reading about the meteoric rise and no fall

Ramc tried playing MA Ermor in a recent game. It didn't work out for him. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just going to point out that one of the "key" allies in the battle against Bogarus has been playing like a very slightly more competent AI for multiple turns now. It's not even like those mage stacks are particularly large or complex to script - losing all motivation or getting tempted to be lazy when trying to put together a 50+ mage communion scattered over multiple provinces is one thing, not giving N/E mages some gems and some basic mass buff orders is another. So them just blithely going along with the player who has a huge vampire swarm, blood sac, AND Arcane Nexus doesn't seem particularly odd.

edit: As a note, if it was just one or two instances it'd be one thing, but this is multiple battles over multiple turns against different nations, none of which are working, and they keep doing it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 7, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Given How are u is now mostly using large vampire stacks, and Bogarus seems to have been gearing in that direction + mass Bane Lord thugs, I'm seeing a potential issue in one of their plans - and it's called who reaches Thaumaturgy 9 and/or efficiently employs a certain spell sitting there first. It's called Undead Mastery, likely out of a sabbath/communion, backed by Rune Smashers and whatever other penetration equipment is available. And yes, it does exactly what it sounds like it does. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Isn't holding four out of five globals the sort of thing that might rally reasonable opponents against you if they realize you've suddenly grabbed that much of the magical sphere?

Also, with regards to casting new globals when there are five already present, does it automatically challenge the weakest present hostile global? A random hostile global? Or is there a chance it could actually unseat one of your own?

It should, but then again vampire swarms combined with a blood sac nation should have as well. People really aren't paying attention any more in this game.

If global slots are full, it randomly picks one to test a newly cast one against, without regard for who owns it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I wonder if Ramc is having some pearl issues, or is just trying to make multiple enslaving golems, because replacing the Crystal Coin with a Ring of Sorcery and/or empowering it in Astral once more in order to replace the Dimensional Rod with a Rune Smasher would make it even more effective.

For those just watching who don't have the game, those items, along with the Ring of Wizardry it's already wearing, have an interesting trait called Magic penetration (1 in the case of the rings, 2 in the case of a Rune Smasher... and the values do stack). Magic penetration is a value which directly affects a spell's ability to affect a target through its magic resistance, something Master Enslave checks against, so an additional +3 to that value would reap horrifying returns in numbers of enslaved targets.

Also a Ring of Sorcery is actually cheaper to forge than a Ring of Wizardry, along with requiring less of the exact same path and less gems, so I'm idly curious why the golem is wearing the more expensive one and not the other.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

There's a difference between suboptimal, situational and useless. There's plenty of outright useless spells that any experienced players will never cast.

While this is relatively true, the AI does tend to default to at least situationally useful spells - just not for the situation they're casting them in. I can think of plenty of instances where I might want a mage casting Personal Luck - just not during an assassination attempt.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Second Sun doesn't do anything to vampires directly, but it does screw with them indirectly due to jacking up the Heat scales in all provinces worldwide. High heat scales means fire magic is more effective, and stuff like the ground and units are more likely to catch fire. And vampires do NOT like fire in any way shape or form.

It may screw around with darkness spells too, and undead with their perfect darkvision really like darkness effects going up, but I don't recall for certain.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It tends to depend on the type of magic, what the booster's path requirements are, what paths your nation has, and what the relevant battlefield spells need. While many of the schools tend to have one available at a low path requirement, many of the ones that also have a second low path one require cross paths for that second booster. Earth, Nature, Astral all follow this pattern. Both of Water's boosters are single path and also have easy path requirements, while Death also has two solo path ones, but they get one easy one and one hard one (D2 and D5). As for the others...

Air in particular is generally going to need empowerment if you're not playing Caelum or a derivative, because its very first booster needs A4 to forge - which is also what you need for Storm, or one higher for Fog Warriors. If you don't happen to have F/D mages, in which case your first booster is incredibly easy to forge at F1/D1, Fire is another one that doesn't have a booster until F4. Blood's boosters are also all relatively high path requirements, but if you're going in hard in Blood then some empowerment is barely noticeable.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You need at least level 1 innately.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Counterpoint: Don't actually do that, because I wouldn't inflict the requirement of learning blood sac mechanics on a brand new player. Suppose you could use MA Mictlan, but Eagle Warriors require a little more finesse than just spamming Jags from everything.

Easiest way to learn the basics of the game and interface would be MA Ulm, since you just crush everything under the tread of your national troops and don't have to pay the slightest attention to bless strategies.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How are u posted:

Here’s what we got:

The Seraph, like its cousin the Chayot, is an obscenely strong super-unit. When you Wish for one, however, it appears merely as a Troop and not a Commander. We now need to cast Gift of Reason upon it:

Lame. With that many pearls, should have just Wished up Kurgi and hoped he stayed around long enough to empower him in Nature and then cast Transform, trying again if necessary.

edit:

TravelLog posted:

Any chance some kind goon could talk about the specifics of some of the gear on the Tartarian? I'm curious what his kit is.

The Vine Shield and Shadow Brand are relatively basic pieces of thug gear (though a Flame or Frost Brand would be more common), with the shield tying down all the stuff engaging it in melee, and the Brand giving it an AoE attack to clear out stuff faster. The Horror Helmet is just a helm that increases(or adds) the Fear value of the unit, making it more effective. The Armor of Knights is just a really cheap piece of armor with a really good Prot value along with having extremely low encumbrance. Honestly for a Tart there're much better choices, but again it's really cheap and easy to forge (path needed is E1, and only uses 5 gems). Boots of Flying do exactly what they say on the tin, and the amulet is an Antimagic one, boosting its magic resist higher. Finally, the ring is a Ring of Regeneration... and I'm not entirely sure it's actually doing jack poo poo, as Tartarians are undead, which I believe cannot benefit from most regen (including the ring).

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 25, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheDemon posted:

Regen only fails on lifeless undead.

I could have sworn I've tossed Rings of Regeneration on Wraith Lords in the past and watched them not, in fact, regenerate, but maybe I'm just misremembering.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How are u posted:

See if you can guess when Bogarus cast Utterdark. Pangaea’s income is so much higher than everyone else’s purely because of the massive gold boost he gets from Celestial Rainbow. Let’s check Gem Income:

As far as I'm aware, Celestial Rainbow's generated gold is also off-the-books (it shows up as an event each turn), so this isn't actually the reason why.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It would be pretty funny if your Seraph proceeded to pick up Feeble-Minded next turn and thus lost the ability to claim Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

I am 99% sure it does not reduce bloodslaves.

An interesting corollary is that mo money settings makes blood slaves less valuable as gathering them loses you massively more gold, and they still won the game . Blood is hosed up.

Well, point one would be that gold tends to be massively less valuable as a game goes on anyways, as even nations that haven't bothered to get into blood (and any nation can with some effort), will generally switch over to a gem economy - especially as things like Armageddon and Utterdark hit.

Point two would be that anyone can win if they're ignored like howareu was. Even ignoring everyone else paying no attention to the slight issue that he had vampires + blood sac (which is a combo everyone should attack immediately, alliances be damned), anyone doing anything remotely like proper scouting should be noting the sheer disparity in size between nations. Yes, Dom games can get draining (momoney doubly so) as they go along, and yes, good diplo can help, but there's a point where you need to stop just going along with another player, regardless of how friendly they are.

• Locked thread