Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, cool, another Dom LP. I should get back in the game one of these days. Is LA Ulm still stupid overpowered? You're not going to want to let him snowball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Flaming Arrows goes through Ethereality and Mistform and is the primo way for MA Man to deal with that throne, but it probably? the roughest one in the game.

The throne defender cast arrow fend as well as fog warriors, though. Also, fliers get right up in your grill first turn, so there was probably a lot of friendly fire as the rear archers tried to shoot the hawks that were zapping the guys in the front. That's rough (and humiliating) for Man, good to see it immortalized in the LP.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This.

I still remember the LP where TheDemon had a terrible nation with terrible placement and terrible routes for expansion and terrible resources and went through something like thirty turns of nation after nation saying "Hey Lanka looks small and beatable, let's crush them for early war gains." To which his response was, essentially, "I am a stabbing robot made of knives and when you attack me I will stab you." He fought off army after army after army from something like three nations - and, IIRC, none of those three nations that kept throwing waves of soldiers to die against the wall of TheDemon ended up winning the game.

Actually, Builds Character, the guy that suffered the most from The Demon actually did end up winning the game! With Hinnom.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Dominions identifies sudden increases in resources outside an expected range as cheating. I'm pretty such that alchemizing too much in a single turn in Dom3 got a notification sent out to all players that Player X cheated themself some resources.

Or getting a huge stash from a player going AI/being crushed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Yes to both. They do not pick very intelligently though.

Every province has a number starting at 1 in the top left corner of the map. They cast on the lowest numbered province that you haven't searched for that path. You can see what paths have been searched on the province display.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, it's worth doing Bowl of Blood anyway for those occasional rare good blood sites, but if you skip it, you're not crippling yourself either. Mainly because your blood slave economy has no dependence on sites, whereas your gem economy is almost totally dependent on sites.

Also, the blood discount sites are really, really good to have. 33% off all blood spells? Yes please, forever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

How are u posted:

If you find one of those sites as even a somewhat-capable Blood nation then you have won the game.

First game I ever won; I found one as Mictlan... right next to my capital. Good times.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

As for this game, I'm actually surprised Bogarus is as large as it is, unless they formed a coalition against someone else and managed to reap most of the rewards. Bogarus has okay troops but nothing particularly special, and while they do have good magic paths, it still takes time to get the research to really use it.

Bogarus has decent cheap mages and with a more money game hopefully has a lot more of them than otherwise. He can communion up air, astral, blood, death and fire and lay waste once he hits 5 in many fields, and with his master of names getting a research bonus, that shouldn't take too long. His demonologists and alchemists may never handle huge death/earth rituals, but on the battlefield they should be able to handle most stuff with a communion.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That GoH for Bogarus is interesting. Since their very old mages also have a pretty good chance of having S3, I would anticipate that nations without astral access are going to see a lot of mysteriously dead commanders in the near future.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Boggles might need a serious pact to bring down.

Especially if we're rooting for the OP of the LP. That would give him more time to build his vampire hordes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
E4 is easier to get than A4E1 or whatever RoS is, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

How dangerous heavy cav is depends also on how much space there is on the battlefield to maneuver. Many heavy cav units have a charge-bonus, which is what makes them the bane of many other chaff units.

If you can immobilize them, they're suddenly a lot less scary. The worst thing an awake pretender can do is sitting around, waiting for the cavalry to come to it.

The last dom game I played (a long time ago, granted), I defeated the mighty ponymen with the humble Alt-2 spell earth meld and a bunch of cheap earth mages. Can't glamour your way out when the very ground rises against you!

I ride bikes all day posted:

Cook took the man vs God theme to the next level with Tyranny of the Night. Worth reading if you miss Croaker, or if you just enjoy a fantasy version of the Middle Ages, it's pretty good.

I suppose I can give it another chance. Couldn't get into it the last time I tried reading it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The death of the caster also ends the spell, but tracking him/her/it doen can be hard. Beelining the capital to storm it is a bold, but risky option.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

Turn 65 shows why it can be so awkward if you have another nation's borders too close to your capital. Every army movement from your cap looks like a threat to the other guy.

In this case it's even worse because my capital has some bad low-supply provinces to the south, so I have to split my armies into multiple stacks and route them through multiple provinces at once. This is why that army suddenly showed up next to How are u.

And yet, still every second Caelumian army spends a month or two starving on their way to the front. :v:

Get some endless bags of wine or something. Granted, supply isn't a huge deal, because starvation recovers as soon as you are in supply, but this way you don't have to worry about morale losses due to lack of supply. I reckon in one of these mo money games, army sizes are bigger, so you will run into supply problems more often.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Fucks up his longbowswarm though.

So do vampire swarms. At this point, Man should be trying to cause as much damage to Gath as possible, out of spite, but it's hard to do versus a dominion push vamp swarm.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

If I'm not mistaken it was one of the LP games, and I THINK they later went on to win it after everyone else had exhausted their resources and/or patience, or at least outlasted several of the other players. The two players were numerically slightly superior and had TheDemon pinched in, but ended up not being able to overcome better strategy and movement traps at the chokepoints.

Nah, Hinnom eventually wore down the Demon and went on to win the game. The Demon had a brief reprieve when everyone banded together to take down the Queen of Turkeys, but builds character came back to finish the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The point of firebird economy is to stuff all your forts with them. Given how many Bogarus forts we're seeing the contents of that DON'T have firebirds in them, I'm suspecting the player is not, in fact, running a firebird economy. I don't know why you wouldn't if you wanted to play Bogarus, and at this point in the game there's no real reason you shouldn't have one even if you weren't initially planning to, but there you go.

Also, Horror Seed is not a very good spell.

Isn't it broken? I seem to recall it doesn't actually do anything.

• Locked thread