Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Neat! And a lot more informative than my mad ramblings. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to my video-LP being a half-assed mess, you can even get a glimpse of my future prophet by watching video "2".

Be warned, though: My videos may induce stroke if you try to translate my gibberish into real human speech. I can only recommend watching my LP if you use this one as a handy guide to prevent slipping into madness.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's time to explain why my pretender is called Overgrown Cembalo Pinfeather.

See, a Cembalo is a huge, harpsichord/piano-like musical instrument and long, long ago, the pinfeathers of Ravens were used for plucking the strings. (This is one of the reasons why our Raven-populations were nearly extinct by the 70s and only recently started to recover. The other reasons being related to angry Bavarian hunters)

Therefore, if you know something about music, you would have been able to take one look at the name of my pretender, and you would have immediately known what it was.

Edit:

But yeah, my prophet-name was uninspired poo poo. Also I only waited another turn to collect more of my sacreds so my prophet had some more units to bless, there was not any kind of strategic thinking behind it.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Has the goon community moved on from IRC to Discord like most others?

No, we're old-fashioned

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching this and comparing with Gath makes me realize how lucky the combination of huge expensive tramplers and lots of money is. Around this time I expanded faster than Gath simply because of my mammoths stepping on everything in my way.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, even though my videos aren't mapping exactly to How are u's turns, just look at this poo poo: So many expensive tramplers you'll never see massed like this in a normal game. Around this time I'm getting regularly two new provinces per turn: Having max independents set means jack poo poo if you can just trample them into the ground. And I seem to be gotten lucky by not getting any special indy provinces with units capable of panicking my hairy elephants.

So many people squished by a mammoth's foot while laughing jackasses with wings look on from the distance. Thanks to magic research being slow, you can expect this kind of thing to become more and more ludicrous with each turn. Also, I made contact with Jomon (fantasy Japan).

Another thing: The combination of Caelum-Mammoths being not that easily scared compared to other elephant-tramplers and the morale bonus of the Storm Generals I'm using turned them into an even more terrifying weapon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In contrast, I'm more of a moody player: Most of the time I slowly expand and avoid wars with human players because I like impressive mage-battles, which tend to be rare in the early game.

But sometimes I mumble to myself "Quad-bless!" and then you can fully expect me to assault whoever has the bad luck meeting me first. (One day I will find the right combination of tanking my scales and powering up my sacreds with blesses!)

Edit:

Of course this means you get an unfair advantage against me if you're on IRC, since I sometimes start bragging about my bless-related plans before a game even starts. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And with this video it begins.

Let's just say while How are u supplies the intrigue and war side of this LP, I'll add the comedic misadventures!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I once lost my capital province to a barbarian horde on turn 2. Instant game over.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, demanding stupid poo poo is practically a part of the Dom4-experience at this point. Always make dumb demands all the time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And with this turn, my first attempt at pressuring Jomon into war failed and I suddenly found myself with a province less and a nasty unwanted NAP in my hands.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Spring hawks are devastating, period. Newbies just don't know to avoid them. Experienced players just see the province and proceed to ignore it for 50 turns, and then get halfway owned by it anyway.

gently caress spring hawks.

I had this weird idea of loading up scouts with that one fire item which makes you explode when you die, and then sending them in to get swarmed with spring hawks. Never got around to testing if this actually works or if the spring hawks just zap them from afar without getting a scratch.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

5 gems and one mage turn per item x like 10 items

orrrrrrrrrrr get the 25 square shock resistance spell and Do A Magic at them

:shrug:

Yeah, now I remember why I never bothered trying this out. (But one day the time of the exploding scout will come!)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the Turn My Cat Hated. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I sure wish I did, but that's for the future to tell.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Oh, well crud. I'll admit I don't watch them through before posting an update, so if somebody would like to figure out what Libluini video synchs to my current update that would be cool. Or, I can just let Libluini post a link to the correct video in the timeline for each update.

I'll just stop linking them until then!

Dude, I warned you this could happen, since my video-LP is really half-assed. Since I kept missing some turns (at turn 81 I had 69 turns recorded), this stuff will keep happening.

Chances are the correct video has been posted already. So yeah, if you want total synchronisation, How are u will need to post some updates without my videos from now on, until he reaches winter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's interesting! I totally forgot Patala was even in that game!

I've played with the idea of playing Patala myself sometime, but I guess I should have thought of that before launching three new games one after another! And a massive video LP of a fourth one. Welp, maybe after 1-2 games end. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Throughout the three Eras of Dominions 4 Patala is always a nation of Monkeys and Apes inspired by Hindu mythology. In the Early Era the primate populace were ruled by Celestial beings that came down from Heaven to live on Mount Kailasa and set themselves up as Kings and Priests of the Ape people. In the Middle Era the Celestials were driven from the world, and the Apes rule themselves and form the Kingdom of Bandar Log. In the Late Era, in which we're playing, the Naga, snake-men who live under the earth in the Jeweled City of Patala, use their innate mesmerizing abilities and their mighty magical strength to seize control of the Apes. I think the Ape nations of all Eras are really cool and have great background and super interesting (and super strong and expensive) national summons based on Hindu mythology.

Man is just a straight up 100 Year War Britain + King Arthur + bits of Anglo mythology mashup. I find it a fairly boring nation, conceptually.

You can be an incredible rear end in a top hat though when playing LA Man, at least two of their mages are immune to drain scales. Maximum dominion strength, maximum drain, spam temples, laugh like a maniac whenever enemy mages suddenly get headaches before succumbing to a torrent of thunder strikes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm incredibly boring, in Dom 4 I really like playing LA R'Lyeh or Ermor with Dominion jacked up huge, just to cause massive fuckery of insanity or undeath in anything that gets near me.

Tends to make everyone rush to kill you before their armies are gibbering or they're up to their elbows in skeletons. It's been a while since I played, but with Ermor in longer games, it was definitely possible to create enough undead that the game simply crashed when trying to run a battle because it couldn't figure out how to handle those living waves of corpses. :v:

Believe me, crashing the game with skeletons is possible with multiple nations, if you're determined enough.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That is so many monkeys. I can already see the potential for those tiny elephant stacks routing through the mass and forcing an HP-route, though. Dominions can be really harsh to large armies sometimes.

He also hasn't learned yet to always put the elephant-stacks together. Putting two of them on both sides of your army like that just maximizes the chance for a fleeing herd of elephants to plough through your own units.

If you put them all together the chance of one group being in a position to do damage to your own army is halved. Putting the stupid 'phants far away from your main army is good, but after all that erratic movement of a long battle you'll never know where those two groups may end up. My mammoth-armies had all units concentrated in one large pile for that reason.

Still, later on there were some battles where my armies escaped catastrophe just because my units can all fly, so they tended to be on the good side of my fleeing giant animals. It also helped immensely that my early game armies were basically the opposite of that Patala-army: Archers on the flanks, mammoths in the middle i]far away[/i] from the other units. The rest was positioned in front of the archers to leave my mammoths the maximum amount of free space. Elephant-type units always come with a risk, so I tend to always plan around a possible stampede at the worst moment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vauron posted:

Short bows is what was written, not crossbows. Patala can throw out large numbers of monkeys with shortbows, which generally don't do anything useful against the higher values of armor in the Late Age.

In this gimmick game however, we can have sometimes absurd numbers of troops on the field and when you pin down hundreds of units with hundreds of units into a giant melee, your hundreds of bow men/apes/things can do an astonishingly amount of damage.

Especially if you are fighting someone who has been duped into throwing large amounts of expensive cavalry around because we have all the money now -but no archers to fire on your archers, so they just sit there unmolested, pumping out one huge cloud of arrows after another.

But yeah, that short time spend basking in glory ends as soon as enough poo poo hits the archers to make them rout, or if magic poo poo like darkness and mist happens. But eh, we're still in the early phase here. Still, if you send up shortbows against real archers, you better have spend some thought on preventing them from just getting hit by 1000+ arrows into their stupid faces and routing immediately.

You will see this in the future (if howareu remembers to continue posting my videos), when my bad flying archers actually meet some real archers and get dunked on. And then you'll see some battles where that doesn't happen because it's kind of hard to outrange flying archers if they're properly scripted...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

I think it's slower acting, so you've got a chance of recovering the territory before it's got a population in the double digits.

edit - Haven't looked at it in forever though.

Death dominion like Lemuria's can be amplified or slowed down by scales. In a test game I took death 3 for my Lemuria-pretender and my dominion killed my population ludicrously fast. I'm guessing since your troops are rather bad, the only good way to play Lemuria is to pile on the negative scales and just go full on world loving mode.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To make it easier for How Are U to combine both our LPs, here's what happened during the last turns from my point of view:

Caelum Turn 21

Caelum Turn 22

The next video after that last one corresponds to turn 24 since I forgot to record 23, so I'll wait until turn 24 is posted before posting the next video link. Or you could watch it right now and ruin your surprise over how lovely my recordings are, it's not like I can force you to stop watching!

Edit:

Be warned though sometimes YouTube is lovely and for some reason gives you my videos at a lower resolution than they should have. If the screen looks blurry, you can rectify that by clicking on settings and put the video on 720p, the resolution I recorded with. That should make everything look nice and clear.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 7, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's also Melancholia, a seldom-used Earth-spell which has a chance to reduce enemy dominion as one of its effects.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I, on the other hand, didn't notice my dominion near Xibalba going down until my neighbours told me about it. Which is why I was very torn about my NAP with the batmen afterwards.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In one game I had my pretender getting multiple horror marks, and that stubborn gently caress killed and killed one horror after another. Of course gaining even more marks in the process, while also getting more and more crippled over time. When a horror finally dumpstered my poor magic snake, I called him back. He came back with an incredible mountain of both crippling wounds and horror marks.

He then got attacked by horrors literally every turn and after surviving and killing some more horrors, he was brought down a second time. At that point I decided to go the (very short) rest of the game without dragging that poor bastard back into the land of the living.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, from what little I know of Dominions, "horror-marking your Pretender God" is basically one of the game's premiere gently caress yous.

Right up there with killing them with a turkey.

Also always nice is the rare classic "getting hit with a sharp stick and bleeding out in your first battle". I've never seen a huge monster dying like a chump like that before and after.

Since then I'm always a bit anxious when using awake pretenders.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Wait, I think I missed this story!

I was dumb once and used a Raven pumped up on death (and therefore fear) as an awake pretender. In his first battle he first got hit by a tiny projectile from a bunch of indeps and started bleeding, then the army panicked and ran away. My victorious pretender got a tiny scratch and something called "bleeding". He started to lose tiny amounts of HP constantly. Cue my surprise when the battle ended and the game calculated like a thousand turns of bleeding.

Apperently bleeding works like poison in that way? Anyway, my pretender lost tons of HP in a couple seconds and died.

Later the same thing happened to me with an awakened titan in a test game: Tiny scratch in one of the first battles, got bleeding, died at the end of battle. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Technically, Jomon is AI and therefore not really doing anything anymore, except being annoying.. (Not technically, I'm (Caelum) invading Jomon, not the other way around.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Wait when did Xibalba go AI?

Pretty drat fast after that double-invasion got rolling,

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

Burden of Time, but that goes down when the caster dies or somebody overwrites it as a global spell.

It also doesn't work if your enemies use undead, demons or elves against you

If you're a death nation somehow losing against, I don't know, Man or something, then it works fairly well as an annoyance, though

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I thought you were in this game and figured you had just won it until I reread the player list.

No, this game is still going and getting crazier each turn. There's so much stuff I'd like to talk about! But welp, we're still far away from that and I don't want to spoil it. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, Growth 3 would negate a lot of the issue with that.

Good to know about the lab thing, I actually had no idea that feature was in there.

Dom4 is full of little things like that. I keep forgetting some units can only healed by labs, for example. (Normal units get their hit points restored after a battle, since mechanically a turn is a full month and a lot can happen in a month. Some kinds of undead or Golems can't, though: If they get hit but survive the battle, the hit points will be permanently down until you can shove them into a lab province for a turn.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I were the devs, I'd have let it in the game, but added a hidden piece of code changing the actual command behind "attack commander" to "commit suicide" whenever a jackass copies the command from the NPC to his own commanders.

The player would still see "attack commander" in his own script, but on the battlefield the commander with this order would simply attack himself.

This would have the added fun of sowing confusion, since Bogus & Co would still function like intended.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I just noticed I've forgotten to post video links!

The last turns I posted was 22 and 21, that's a while ago already.

The new turns I've not posted because I'm stupid are:

Caelum Turn 24

Caelum Turn 25

Caelum Turn 26

Caelum Turn 27

Caelum Turn 28

Caelum Turn 29

So, since I don't want to overwhelm you with my crappy videos, let's stop here and give you some time to digest this travesty of video making. Tomorrow I'll post the rest and then we should be back to the current turn.

In case you ask, the video for the Caelum turn 23 does not exist because I accidentally didn't record the turn! :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A bit late, but here are the rest of the Caelum-turns:

Caelum Turn 30

Caelum Turn 31

Caelum Turn 32

Caelum Turn 33

Caelum Turn 34

And the turn corresponding to How Are U's last update:

Caelum Turn 35

In this turn, I've already reached Jomon's capital and start battering my mammoths against the gate. (Metaphorically, it's still siege season.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Since this is a mo'money game, and you're presumably rolling in cash at all times, is there any reason not to pump PD in every province up to at least like 20?

Right now no, there is no reason not to have sensible PD everywhere. We get closer to the reason with each passing turn, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AfroSquirrel posted:

That overkill was me Faery-Trodding a reinforcement army to the front lines (hence the massive number of cap-only sacred outta nowhere).

Also, I stopped by IRC a few times but you weren't there.

As someone who often ends up living in a different time zone then most of my fellow players I feel for you, using .tell to send small messages is your friend here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And with this, it's time again for the Caelumite View Show. It's like Gath Television, but with more idiocy!

Caelum Turn 36

A short and boring turn, mostly dealing with the AI uprising in Jomon.

Caelum Turn 37

First some pale ones get stabbed and stomped and I learn nothing of my easy victory later when I recruit those bastards myself, then there is lots of scripting and army movements. Riveting!

Caelum Turn 38

Five battles and I only show like 1,5 of them. At least you get to know my thoughts about the Battle of Redbud Grove! Also some pale ones get punched again, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To give some insight from my point of view (Caelum), here's my video about this turn:

Caelum Turn 39

Edit:

Also, something I keep forgetting, but since How Are U seems to be as forgetful as I am with including links, I've decided to include links to the older Caelum turns in each update from here on out:

Caelum turns 21-22
Caelum turns 24-29 (didn't record 23)
Caelum turns 30-35
Caelum turns 36-38

In case you're wondering, the earlier turns have been included by How Are U himself, so you'll find the videos in his updates like normal.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread