Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Dark Power is an attribute that gives a unit stat bonuses when the Darkness effect is in play. Each level of Dark Power gives +1 to Strength, Attack, Defense, and Action Points (AP are how far a unit can move on the battlefield each round). So, the Fiend of Darkness with it's Dark Power (2) gets, under Darkness, Strength 17, Attack 15, Defense 15, and 15 AP. Those are very solid stats, better than just about any recruitable elite troops. The only trick is you have to be able to cast Darkness on the battlefield.

A unit with the Demon tag is indeed vulnerable to demon-specific spells and abilities. However, Demons get a lot of bonuses baked into the tag! Demons do not need to eat (i.e. they will never suffer from starvation), have perfect Darkvision (no stat penalties in Darkness), and are immune to Diseases!

Yeah, but you don't have to necessarily cast Darkness, you can also opportunistically use the effect some random events and globals like Utterdark have. Or hell, cave provinces are automatically under the darkness-effect, so if your normal troops get into trouble in caves, just send demons instead!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can always see the level of unrest in a province even if you haven't found the site that generates the unrest, so I don't think that this is possible unless you're bad at paying attention.

So the answer is: "Yes, of course!" :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

What's really fun is when you build a fort, temple, and lab on a province with an undiscovered Death site that spreads Diseases onto occupying units each turn. That's discouraging.

Once I also started recruiting researchers on a province like that. Ten turns later my first mage there died and when I read that message, I was quite surprised. Then I went back to look at the province he died in and all nine other researchers were already diseased. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In this case, I'm like the Anti-How Are U: I hate Vampires and blood magic so much I quite often can't bring myself to use them, and suffer horribly as a result.

It maybe weird that I see nothing wrong with killing thousands of people using magical plagues, but I just tend to get depressed when seeing bloodslaves die in battle. When other players see me using blood magic, I will either use it hesitantly and very badly, or I'll go all-out but only make horrors and general horror-related fuckery to make the world a horrible, horrible place. If you see me dropping horrors, it basically means I've given up and now work actively at ruining the world and other players fun. It's like an entire fake fantasy nation has been gripped suddenly by terrible self-loathing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, I forgot again. My turns:

:frogsiren: It's Caelum-Time :frogsiren:

Caelum Turn 40

Here I'm slowly crushing AI Jomon under my heels, while talking some about the situation at Redbud Grove, now vacated by Bogarus.

Caelum Turn 41

AI Jomon is still fighting the good fight against the menace of terrible birds. Also, I'm talking about how Bogarus could be a future enemy after we run out of AI-territory to eat. In hindsight it's pretty funny how I spend quite some time fretting about Bogarus leaving the game. (Both Jomon and Mictlan's players went AI just when I was gearing up to invade them, which created a lot of tedious, uninteresting battles.)

Most recent:

Caelum Turn 42

Still a lot of time spend fighting off tons of small armies. AI Jomon recruits units (sometimes even good ones) like a mad motherfucker. But in this turn I take Jomon itself and kill it's dumb pretender, so I don't care from here on out. AI Jomon is now a walking corpse and just has to be put down. New plan: Eat AI Mictlan. (Because guess which player exited the game just when I was planning his demise? :shepface: )

Second Edit: Apparently I was wrong and How Are U told me Mictlan didn't go AI this early. Looks like I just misremembered because Mictlan's player was so silent I can't even remember ever talking to him. At some point I just suddenly noticed: "Oh, he's AI too? Bummer."

Edit:

Just in case, for those interested, my older turns:

Late Age Caelum's Adventures in Multiplayerland

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 3, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

A characterful yet somewhat annoying event. The event actually spawns a stealthy, independent boar unit in the province which raises unrest over time until it is discovered and killed. Dead Forest, the province this event occurred in, actually has a fair amount of PD (25) so will probably end up rooting out this problem on its own over time.

It's even more annoying if it happens multiple times in the same turn, or in provinces bordering nations with good nature paths. Because then you immediately know someone is getting cheeky with the Monster Boar spell...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Also, there's like 100 other things I'd much rather spend precious nature gems on than planting dumb boars in enemy territory.

Man, I wish everyone would be like you. For some reason I just sometimes end up next to a fucker who thinks sending like half a dozen pigs all at once is hilarious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Ragha and [...] exist further South.

I'm wondering about that, if you look at my maps in my turns around this time, you'll never see Ragha. And to my south there's only ocean, followed by Gath (because of the south-north wraparound.).

Up to the current turn, I can't ever remember meeting Ragha. Or seeing any sign of it.

Most recent Caelum-turns

Caelum Turn 43

In this turn I'm kicking Jomon's corpse some more. Also, no sign of Ragha anywhere. Where is that guy? :confused:

Caelum Turn 44

Here there's no link because I forgot to make a recording of this turn. :shepface:

Ye olden turns

Edit:

Something about the link to the old videos was weird, so I redid it. Now it should work normally.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Obligatory Birdmen Turn :siren:

Caelum Turn 45

This turn we clear out the AI-rebels from our fortress in Redbud Grove, get a strange message from Man, start scouting out Mictlan

...and meanwhile, Jomon has build up enough forces underwater to Blitzkrieg back some coastal provinces. Motherfuckers :argh:

Back to the Past

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 46

This turn is rather boaring, nothing of note happens.

The status so far: Bogarus has eaten Ulm, Mictlan finally takes that lonely Jomon-fort they had been sieging for a while and I'm preparing to throw Jomon's clown army back into the water where it belongs.

Past Caelum Turns

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

Isn't there some kind of limit on random events per province or per nation? Anything beyond that being an enemy attack spell that's presented as an "unexpected event"? Or is that Dom 3 rules?

If I remember right, there's only a limit on displaying events. You can still feel the effect of events happening which aren't displayed if you hit the limit: This means random events hitting the limit still happen, even if you can't see them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Returns

Caelum Turn 46

We see Mictlan taking Jomon's last fort outside the water, Ulm dies forever and other boaring stuff.

Caelum Turn 47

My second research goal has been reached! Time to forge. In other news: AI-Jomon is still besieging Jomon and has absolutely slaughtered the trash force I threw at them out of spite. Turns out scorn and contempt can't replace sensible planning! This forces me to send an actual army against them next turn. Also since I'm getting tired of swatting down Jomon's garbage all the time, I decide to simply lay siege to the entire southern ocean. With the first siege army reaching the coast next turn, Operation Ocean Siege can begin.

Let's step back a moment, how did we get to this point?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Man hasn't learned that putting down multiple thin lines with some distance between them is better than all those lumps I see there. But I have to commend him for leaving so many easy holes in his frontline for the vampires to walk through, top strategy!

Also Magisters have Air 2, so with that communion running he really should have invested in Storm + Air Elementals. If you have the gems, Air Elementals can mow down entire armies effortless. Using them is expensive, but hilarious. How Are U is completely right here. (The advanced strategy would have been to let half his 50 Magisters tire out the giants and the other half spamming elementals. This battle could have been an one-sided massacre for How Are U's army if Man had used air gems, better scripting and better troop placement.)

That said, I can already give you Caelum Turn 48:

:frogsiren: -No recording has been made because Libluini is an idiot- :frogsiren:

In this turn I won against the sharkwarriors squatting on my coast and Operation Ocean Siege went into full swing. And that's all that I remember from that turn, you will have to wait until turn 49 for the next video.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 18, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Scripting 50 wizards sounds like a loving nightmare, though.

It is, but you can make it a wimpy nightmare by reducing everything you need to as little scripts as you need, then you just have to move down the list, pasting your scripts as you go. It's still tedious, but not as insane as in Dom3, where you had to give orders by hand.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

You can cut and paste scripts? How do you do that?

You put your mouse cursor on your script in the normal army screen (not the scripting screen, that confused the gently caress out of me in the beginning) so the script is highlighted. Then your press CTRl+ a number from 0-9. The script is now saved to that number. To paste scripts, you go to a commander without a script, highlight the first empty order spot the same way and press the number where you have your script stored. And presto, your script has been copied!

You only get ten spots for your scripts though, this means you can't go all-out on this. After you stored ten scripts, you have to pick and choose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Caelum Time :siren:

Caelum Turn 49

Operation Ocean Siege continues, some spiders die and I speculate about the horrible, horrible end Mictlan will soon face. And I'm starting one of many experiments to see who is the ultimate warrior: The Pale Ones or Jomon's Shark Warriors. All those experiments will end the same way, but I will learn nothing.

I'm a slow learner.

This link is a time machine. Klick it!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

If only it was like in conquest of elysium when having level 3 in a magic path allows you to cast 2 level 2 spells or 3 level 1 spells instead of a level 3 spell then it would be more easily doable.

I'm pretty sure Dom4 already works like this: Lower-level spells get fatigue reduction, so the caster can hork out more of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Yep! One of the bigger mistakes you can make is devoting too many resources to eating an AI when you have bigger fish to fry. I've seen early game AIs make it to endgame just because they kept a fort or two filled with summoned bullshit that nobody ever got around to finally knocking down. A Mo Money game is a double-edged sword in this regard - you can pump out innumerable legions of siege chaff, but then so can the AI, meaning that if you leave forts unsieged they will balloon with 5g militia.

Though I've observed the AI has some odd decision making skills when sieged. I've seen the AI just holding and summoning more chaff, I've seen them trying to break out with everything and I've seen them sending their troops piecemeal at you until the fort is nearly empty and you win by default.

I'm guessing the AI has trouble deciding how dangerous certain combinations of troops or mages can be, they'll probably do some sort of calculation based on numerical values, like "Oh, these super-expensive sacreds with 20 encumbrance are threat level 99, better stay inside the fort" and "Oh, these 20 level 2 air mages and the bunch of militia parked in front of them are only threat level 9, we can take them with a full frontal assault"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum News Network Presents

:frogsiren: More Caelum Turns! :frogsiren:

Caelum Turn 50

Seeing all my Pale Ones slaughtered under water made me depressed, so I forgot to record this turn.

Caelum Turn 51

This turn sees a ludicrous failure of intelligence, as Mictlan mows down all my scouts. My reaction? Sending more scouts into the meatgrinder. :shepface: Also, I continue boosting my research using skeleton mentors. I'm also talking about X-Bows, flyers and how I would deal with Bogarus, if it comes to war.

Caelum Turn 52

Again no video, but you didn't miss much, just some boring army movements. Next turn at least has stuff happening again. At least looking at my next video my scouts seem to have survived this time. Consider Mictlan scouted.

This road leads to past Caelum turns.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Ideas-guy moment: what if you did a Dom 4 game where everyone starts with some basic units and commanders, then after a year you rank everyone by some metric, then do a draft in reverse order that unlocks new units?

We had something similar a while ago: We played a game where every nation was the same bland guys: Basic units and commanders all the same, the only difference was name and color. The map for the game was littered with sites giving out units and the game became a race to get as many good units as you could. I forgot who won that madness in the end, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And this is the same turn from the other side of the world:

:siren: Caelum Turn 53 :siren:

In turn 53, operation Ocean Siege continues, with some Shark Warriors stepping up from the watery depths to try to break the siege. They'll inevitably fail of course, but they're still incredibly annoying.

And Bogarus finally assaults Mictlan, which forces us to assault Mictlan too, before Bogarus creeps too close to us for comfort. Thanks to Jomon keeping three huge armies pinned down until my row of coastal forts are finished, the assault has to wait for now, though. But a fourth army is slowly making its way through my wooded interior, which should solve this problem soon.

Old times, best times

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
CNN Presents

Caelum Turn 54

In this turn I execute-murder some scouts. One from Gath (sorry How are u) and two from Bogarus. Espionage: Deleted! Sadly Mictlan does the same thing to two of my own scouts. Operation Ocean Siege continues with the construction of one of the missing coastal fortresses and we dump Jomon's shark warriors into the next McDonalds so our citizens can get more of their favourite food: McFish. Special highlight of this turn: Random trolls show up to troll me. We also finally start invading Mictlan.

The other turns. You know the drill.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cathode Raymond posted:

So you're saying that because of bird shenanigans and animal armies, the world could not decide if a sea of murderous vampires was a bad thing or not?

Something funny I just noticed: Late Age Mictlan also has tons of blood magic available, but for some reason Mictlan's player in this game never really used it to great effect. And so he now gets attacked by both Bogarus and me, which basically telegraphs the ending: One blood nation less in Mo Money.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The Dominion mechanics were so much more ridiculous in 3, as well. It was not unusual for newer players to take less than five dominion score in their build while trying to make room for a very ambitious strategy, only to die from Dominion loss in the first year because fewer than half of their temple checks were succeeding even before taking into account enemy dominion.

The way resistance worked was even worse, it was very easy to just pile on 100% resists against stuff and basically make invulnerable super-monsters. On the other hand, now with the new and improved system it's theoretically possible to do enough damage to hurt a fire elemental with fire.

On the other other hand, if you gave creatures in Dom3 stuff which lowered their resists, you could get fire elementals so weak they died to a harsh Summer day.

gently caress it, I give up. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh, absolutely. This gives you fun adventures like seeing your horror-marked pretender dying to horrors, coming back, dying to more horrors and coming back, dying to more horrors :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

It seems to me that while you could horror mark a vamp lord it wouldn't really do much good, since the whole strategy behind vamps seems to be that you mass them like no tomorrow. So even if you get one badly marked vamp lord, there are more where he came from.

That's why you don't mark one lord, you use poo poo like Astral Geyser to mark all of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, I had to wait a bit because there was another hole where turn 55 was supposed to be, but now I can post two more Caelum turns!

Caelum Turn 56

This turn was rather short. Operation Ocean Siege is now in full swing, with all coastal forts being completed. Some of the armies at the coast have now been repurposed to invade Mictlan. Jomon is now super-hosed. Instead of stealing provinces, they'll now get one turn of squatting in front of one of my new forts, then they'll get punted back into the water by the two armies I kept in the region.

From this turn on, Bogarus and I will race to get as many of Mictlan's provinces as we can. We both know future war is inevitable, but at the moment we both pretend we're at peace.

Caelum Turn 57

Mictlan's border fort falls to me and I still make grand plans involving marching Pale Ones to their deaths into the ocean. Will the giant stack of one-eyed abominations, now reinforced with sea trolls and water mages, be able to finally gain a foothold underwater? The next turn will have all the answers!

Edit:

Also wow, I'm already at the end of my playlist. After next turn, I'll actually have to do work again (by uploading new videos). :v:

A step backwards

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 58

The last video in my playlist. From now on I will actually have to upload new and fresh videos for these posts!

In this turn, not only did I get attacked by AI Jomon again, but we also failed to invade the oceans ourselves! Two victories for the AI. :argh:

The underwater battle of my 200+ Pale Ones plus magic back up is especially painful. First, normal defenders and multiple Pale One squadrons scare each other into running away, leaving the other half of my army and a huge chunk of shrimp warriors. Then, the shrimp warriors kill so many pale ones they cause a route. Ouch. The Troll King and his summoned water elementals getting stuck behind the pale ones adds a little bit of extra comedy. As a consequence of this battle, I immediately stop recruitment of pale ones.

After this, there's the weakest assassination attampt ever made, when Mictlan sends a Stalker against one of my priests. The priest wins.

The update in pictures (since I think I forgot to show some of the important units in the video above):

The Caretaker is the basic priest of Late Age Caelum. Thanks to having wings he is immune to earthquakes and even though a stiff breeze could take him out, he has some magic paths. Only Earth and Death at rank 1, but that's enough to summon some cheap poo poo. An assassin has to haul rear end to get to him before he gets flooded with random garbage skeletons. (The AI loves cheap battlefield summons.)

The standard Pale Ones you can get from random caves. Amphibic and Darkvision makes them sound enticing, but they come with a lot of drawbacks: They're poo poo at hitting things with their low stats, which combines with their large size (less attacks per square) to make it nearly impossible for them to do any damage. Sure, when their spears hit something, it will hurt. That'll almost never happen, though. Having more hit points then normal-sized units doesn't help them because of their low protection. They also have no helmets, which causes them to instantly die to crits if their heads get hit and they only have one eye. That means if they ever lose it, they are instantly blinded.

Cold-blooded means no diseases from swamps, but also terrible problems in cold regions. Need-not-eat gives them the ability to not use up your supplies. Them not costing you supplies and the bonus to sieges are the only reasons to ever have them. In most battles, they will just awkwardly fail to hit enemy units until they accumulate enough damage to route. They're not really a unit to win battles with. They suck even when not sucking: If you park them in some wasteland they'll not even starve to death, costing you upkeep until the end of time or you remember where you parked them.

Shrimp soldiers also don't have helmets, but otherwise they're the exact opposite in many things: They have really high protection, for example. Their stats are generally higher, so they can easier hit things and evade better. They're also size 2, so generally there will be more of them in a square, too. Their magic resistance is about a third lower than the Pale Ones, but in a straight up fight between both of them, the Shrimps will eat the Pale Ones alive.

This was the assassin attacking my Caretaker this turn. Like a normal assassin, he has a poisonous attack, which means certain death if a commander can't resist it. Even if the assassin dies, if the poison doesn't go away the commander just keels over dead right after him. In addition to being super-stealthy, a Stalker is also ethereal (hard to hit without magic weapons) can scale walls (attack commanders inside a fort) and his stats are high enough he could theoretically just straight-up murder many commanders with his weapons alone. Since he only needs to hit a commander with his poison dagger once, this guy is actually really dangerous.

Too bad his poison dagger doesn't help against the undead, or my Caretaker would have been in real danger. :v:

Older turns

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 12, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Is this correct? I thought the only things that influenced upkeep were unit gold cost and sacred status (as well as direct upkeep add/reduce special abilities).

Ah gently caress, need-not-eat is about supply usage, not upkeep. I'll go back and correct that post haste.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Speaking of. It's an annoying lore inconsistency that several rituals limit how many undeads you can make in a province to the number of corpses available, but in combat there is no limit. I realize "skeletons" are from older bones than the fresh dead, but you can raise unlimited zombies etc. in combat too, if the combat lasted long enough.

I think this is balanced by you being able to use rituals to summon more wights to the world then have ever existed, given enough time and gems.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

On the other hand, the fact that the world of Dominions goes through an apocalyptic god war on a semi-regular basis should mean that there are plenty of bones to reanimate no matter where you are.

But zombies too? Well, at least this explains why they fall apart after each battle, they're probably just half-assed corpse constructs assembled from whatever was accidentally lying around on the battlefield. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Knowing Libluini from the EVE thread, I'd put roughly even odds on him getting incidentally domkilled without noticing.

Let's see what happens. :v:

:siren: Caelum Time :siren:

Caelum Turn 59 Edit: After re-synching my turns with How Are U's I noticed this video doesn't actually exist. Oops!

Caelum Turn 60

Highlights:

-Moving Pale Ones pointlessly around
-Reinforcing them with Shamblers
-"This time it will work because I'll attack the ocean from a different angle!"

At this point I was kind of frustrated with AI Jomon still surviving in the ocean, but hadn't yet learned that lovely indep units, even with magical back-up, can't beat Jomons actually rather great underwater units. Ironically, in a normal game I wouldn't have had as much problems, because my water mages summoning water elementals wouldn't be imprisoned behind a goddamn massive wall of poo poo units. Remember, kids: Sometimes less is more!

Klick here to jump to older turns.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Caelum News Network Presents :siren:

Yes, I finally got around to upload my next turn, which is coincidentally the last turn How Are U posted about. (Edit: Or not, ha ha :v: )

Caelum Turn 60 61

In this turn, AI Mictlan proves to be quite stroppy and stops my half-assed attempt at throwing them from the fort they're sieging. But it's not bad for two reasons: a) They lose almost as much chaff as I do and I am larger and have more money to replace those losses. b) We nearly won even though I had only a single magical priest as magic support. With real mages, Mictlan is toast.

Also, they're sieging their own fort which I had just taken from them, so it's not like they're doing more than slowing down my advance. The Pale One Death March continues, with me contemplating forging choices. One idea is using water boosters and breathing rings to upgrade some of my air/water mages with underwater + water elemental summoning capabilities. In a couple turns we'll see how this works out.

The rest is me spending 30 minutes talking, talking and talking. There are also a lot of red arrows everywhere, I assume from the shitload of troops I'm marching towards Mictlan.

Relations with both Bogarus and Gath remain peaceful, while Pangaea seems to plan something evil, but is apparently waffling as much as I did during the Xibalba-war. (From How Are U I was always hearing about Pangaea first planning to attack me, then suddenly reconsidering. First it was attacking me and changing to attack Xibalba instead, then it changed to attacking me again, until How Are U started building this Anti-Bogarus alliance, at which point Pangaea changed tracks yet again. At least this is what my notes from this time say.)

At this point Pangaea is mostly contained behind a fortified choke point and from what I've seen of Pangaean battle tactics, breaking through that point would be an awful nightmare for them, so I'm not really concerned. They can do whatever they want, I'm prepared. Gath is my best ally right now, mostly because his borders are disturbingly close to my capital, which would make war with him an awful nightmare for me. :v:

The relation between Bogarus and Caelum at this point is like between Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin: Mictlan is basically Fantasy Poland in this analogy. But I'm smarter than Stalin was and know that Fantasy Hitler will soon be an enormous threat. Especially since after Mictlan is gone, Caelum will stretch across most of the map from north to south, and that entire line in the west will be bordered by Bogarus. In comparison, huge mountain ranges block off most of Gath in the north and Pangaea in the east.

Mictlan on the other hand, is directly to the south of my western mountain range, which means whoever wins here can just march straight through enemy territory without getting slowed down by mountains blocking the way.

Edit:

This could have been embarrassing if How Are U hadn't decided to post his turn 61 just a couple hours after me. Because I didn't notice I was missing the actual turn 59, the last two posts had the videos numbered wrongly. In hindsight I really wish I hadn't cut out so many turns, but oh well. Too late now. The errors in this and the last update are now corrected.

Last turn here

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 23, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It also influences the map itself: Early Age has generally less population and therefore less gold income then the later ages, for example. And wasn't it that the composition of independent province defense is also changing depending on age? Early Age has more barbarians and tribesmen, later ages have more stuff like crossbows and heavy cavalry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yes, even LA Caelum, the nation of flighty birdmen, is marching off to doom and gloom. That wasn't always the case and in the patch were LA Caelum was reworked to be less like MA Caelum and more like the gloomy gloom gloom nations of the Late Age I was in the middle of a game with them and my strategy got completely hosed over thanks to the sudden changes.

(I'm still bitter about that. :mad: )

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 62

My Pale Ones are still moving into position for the next underwater-attack into AI-Jomon's territory. And I've amassed a terrible, but huge army to deal with AI Mictlan once and for all. And Bogarus has taken that Mictlan-fort which had slowed him down, so now it's a race to the south to see which one of us can nab Mictlan itself.

Older turns

Edit: Turn 63 has to upload first, but is incoming soon (tm)!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 26, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 63 has finished uploading.

This video and turn is basically just the aftermath of one giant battle against Mictlan and me discussing its repercussions. Also, surprise: My Pale Ones are attacking AI Mictlan, not AI Jomon! Underwater-feint executed. :smugbird:

You probably don't need this link

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 26, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How dangerous heavy cav is depends also on how much space there is on the battlefield to maneuver. Many heavy cav units have a charge-bonus, which is what makes them the bane of many other chaff units.

If you can immobilize them, they're suddenly a lot less scary. The worst thing an awake pretender can do is sitting around, waiting for the cavalry to come to it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

The last dom game I played (a long time ago, granted), I defeated the mighty ponymen with the humble Alt-2 spell earth meld and a bunch of cheap earth mages. Can't glamour your way out when the very ground rises against you!

Yeah, glamoured cav is a special case, especially when supported by a water-bless, like Elf-ponies often are. Normal cavalry is already dead when you have cheap guys with wings, no extra magic needed. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Turn 65 shows why it can be so awkward if you have another nation's borders too close to your capital. Every army movement from your cap looks like a threat to the other guy.

In this case it's even worse because my capital has some bad low-supply provinces to the south, so I have to split my armies into multiple stacks and route them through multiple provinces at once. This is why that army suddenly showed up next to How are u.

And yet, still every second Caelumian army spends a month or two starving on their way to the front. :v:

• Locked thread