Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Another overly complicated game is that fun as hell to watch, but I'd never play even if I could afford to. :v:

Will be following this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

Barbarians will berserk and thus not rout at all too.

That one lone barbarian must be Conan as gently caress.

Always play this while reading Dominions LPs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg&t=67s

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This.

I still remember the LP where TheDemon had a terrible nation with terrible placement and terrible routes for expansion and terrible resources and went through something like thirty turns of nation after nation saying "Hey Lanka looks small and beatable, let's crush them for early war gains." To which his response was, essentially, "I am a stabbing robot made of knives and when you attack me I will stab you." He fought off army after army after army from something like three nations - and, IIRC, none of those three nations that kept throwing waves of soldiers to die against the wall of TheDemon ended up winning the game.

It's where I learned about this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBRf0UgjFc

:allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, there's other reasons to stick to the end.

I remember a 4 player FFA game of Battle for Wesnoth I played... Half a decade ago, I think? I played the drake/lizard faction, the players to my side were loyalists (medieval humans), and across the map from me was a necromancer. Drakes are fairly vulnerable to loyalist units until they get some upgrades - I absolutely could not afford an early war on two fronts in those circumstances. So I made a deal with the guy on the south to not attack each-other for the moment, split the land between us 50-50, and focus on someone else instead. I was actually in a slightly worse position than him in this deal, but still in a better position than I would have been without the deal. We both left a pair of cheap units on the "border" to visually confirm that the other side is following the agreement, and that was it.

Anyway, I manage to bait my enemy to the west into taking a fight in unfavorable circumstances, and I take out his most expensive units without significant losses on my part, even managing to get enough XP to get some nice upgrades on key units. After that, it was a slow battle of attrition I was guaranteed to win eventually, since I had twice the income and a larger and more experienced standing army, but it was by no means a blitzkrieg since he was putting up one hell of a fight. We taunted each-other a bit over public chat, poking fun at minor mistakes and (in his case) posturing about glorious last stands against the evil draconic menace. In all honesty, he was slightly outplaying me at that point since I was making dumb mistakes trying to beat him ASAP, but he just didn't have the force needed to exploit this.

At around this point, the necromancer player went AI, which was really bad news for me for obvious reasons. I negotiated a quick truce with my enemy (from this point on referred to as "my buddy"), stopping my advance and leaving one contested point of interest to him. He moved on to exploit the AI to the south while I pulled back to reinforce my border. We actually kept taunting each-other just to keep the dude south off-guard. And what'd'ya know, an army shows up near my border guard with a "dog ate my homework" level of excuse for why they were there. I deployed my guys somewhat further back hoping that he was going to move his faster troops too far forward without backup to grab as much land as possible in the expectation that my army was on the other side of the map. He did just that, and actually had a meltdown accusing me of betraying him after his attack got crushed (his AI-mop-up army ran into my buddy's force on the same turn and had to fight instead of claiming all the juicy income there)

Still, just like my buddy couldn't beat me because I had superior income, neither could I do more than just hold the line against the guy to the south. However, buddy was slowly (slooooowly) taking over the AI's former lands and pushing him back, reducing his income and forcing him to divert troops and give me a chance to actually start advancing too. Soon after I broke his lines, southy went AI, and me and buddy controlled half the map each, both with huge armies after a long slugfest, and we just called it shared win and ended the game there. In slightly different circumstances, we would have fought, and I likely would have won out in the end just because I did a better job of keeping my leveled up units alive. But while southy was fun to grind into dust since he was so ridiculously whiny about everything that went wrong, buddy put up a valiant effort that made our initial war fun, and was a critical part of my survival against southy later on - it felt wrong to deny him a win, especially since actually defeating him would have taken loving forever now.

So, by putting up a fight even when it seemed like a lost cause, the dude to my west ended up sharing victory with me. Obviously, a de-facto 4X game like Dominions is much less forgiving of any sort of a disadvantage, and less likely to produce similar results, but it's not that unthinkable of a situation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Glazius posted:

Okay, that blood vengeance kill was great.

Absolutely. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
goatfuckers

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

At what point does the unexpected become expected? :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Do events count as income for the graphs?

Because if they don't, uh...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Oh, pleafe, blood faufagef are for rubef. Only frefh blood will do for Count Porkula.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Crazycryodude posted:

So he can go on to miraculously win 95% of his games and (semi)brag about it in other people's LP's? Why does this sound so familiar...

Ramc can win fairly consistently in the Dwarf Fortress Arena Tournament. If you can do that, the world's your oyster.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A blind draft like the one you propose would end up with intentionally gimped nations, since you'd far more likely end up with someone else's nation that the one you picked.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Once Their gaze locks onto you, there is no escaping it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cerebral Bore posted:

Unless I'm mistaken that only works if the other player is dumb and keeps his lords bunched up.

Discounting the possibility of the enemy's stupidity is a good way to let them get away with it, though. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm rooting for Man to survive as long as possible. That's one hell of an active desperate defence being made here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You forgot to mention the Tartarians, LA Ermor, and the Tartarians.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My bird panic meter is still in the red.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That's a lotta nets.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:
diplomacy OP diplomacy OP diplomacy OP
:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

How are u posted:

I did it as LA Jomon in the very first Mo Money game. We'd reached a point in the game where every school of magic was fully researched, so I had scores of mages sitting in forts deep inside my territory with nothing better to do than Blood Hunt. With probably 100+ commanders hunting it still took well over 10 turns to scrape up enough slaves to empower a couple of mages in Blood, and it was probably like 15+ turns before I was able to summon a single Vampire Lord.

Using dudes with no Blood Magic to Blood Hunt is severely inefficient.

Would that make blood magic the only path into which a theoretical completely non-magical nation could break in without finding any magical sites?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That was some cool counterplay. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Something just crossed my mind. If utterdark destroys the regular economy, and armageddon destroys blood economy, is bird economy the only economy left in that case?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Haha, the mind-controlled birdman in the back :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hahahahahahahaha, holy poo poo, that was amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012