Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy another Dom4 LP! We have been on a great roll for the last year for Dom LP's. Keep it up guys!

One day I will play again...

One day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ramc posted:

Do not let the game intimidate you. It is entirely possible, once you get the basics in single player, to jump into a multiplayer game and win.

Really the biggest issue for me was that its always so slow and I end up making a rather big mistake on say turn 5 then suffering for it a week later and not knowing exactly why.

Maybe I'll give it a crack again in SP though then find a game to pop into and burn up in; I've always wanted to play in a draft game despite not knowing jack about how to actually play well :P

Has the goon community moved on from IRC to Discord like most others?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Libluini posted:

No, we're old-fashioned

You should move to Discord. IIRC you can get IRC bots that function on discord servers and anyone can create the server.

It's great.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i sigh as i draw my draft rules

(i loving love drafts so i will be easy to talk into running one in the future if you want)

I am open to this. Let me squeeze in a few single player practice games over before the weekend and I will get in touch with you about it. <3

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Misfortune acceptance, like Drain, relies heavily on you nation and build. In general misfortune is very bad unless you are set up to play around with it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Honestly Disorder 3 Luck 3 is way more fun for events.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You better Gift of Reason one of those goats man.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jBrereton posted:

(But better)

Buy it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thug_lyfe.png

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ramc posted:

:in extremely crocodile dundee voice: "That's not a thug."

"THIS..."

"...is a thug!"

Uhhhh I have a troll riding a giant moose. Check fuckin' mate.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ramc posted:

b-b-but look at my expensive vanity project that was never strategically important!

(Everyone post thugs)

True thugs need to be exceptionally pointlessly silly.

Thugin' up a unit that is only available through a single obscure summon ritual and requires a Gift of Reason to even get started, now that is an exceptionally pointlessly silly waste of resources. Thus perfect in every way.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Microcline posted:

I wouldn't call thugs useless. A bane/bane lord with a branded sword and crowd control shield will run 20-30 gems and be able to chew through an indefinite number of mundane units. Thugs are one of the easier things to counter but if you're frugal they can cause plenty of nuisance for their cost while you work on your main plan.

I'm getting close to Siege Golem with gear in my current game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Also "plot" wise Early Age is the slightly happier age and as time goes on the world approaches the inevitable apocalypse. Think of each age as a stopping point where the players turn up; if the players don't show up to play an EA game -> MA will happen, if they don't show up to play MA -> LA happens.

So in EA along with the more powerful mages there are those more fantastical beasts, beast-men, barbaric technology for most nations; though some like Scaleia are doing fair well as a happy Not-Rome. People are learning how to better use magic, get bigger results and start building their empires.

MA though things are starting to go to hell for some; but others are reaching their peak. Examples include Not-Rome becoming a undead hellscape with half the empire bailing (Not-East Rome) and the other half attempting to stem the tide (Not-West Rome); Atlantis falling to global cooling (?) and the slow rise of Not-Cthulhu/Ithlids from D&D; Not-Jewish Giants losing their kingdom; Fire-elemental Not-Persians losing their empire to low birth rates. But then also Good Not-Indian Monkeys beating the bad ones, Not-Medieval Europe rises (while West Rome also somehow exists), Not-Aztecs become less insanely blood thirsty.

LA everything is hosed forever. Not-Greek Nature Mythology is torn between angry undead FEEL NATURES WRATH and the technology using dwindling species. Not-West Rome has fallen and is now one big nasty undead empire. Not-Spanish Inquisition have turned to worshiping full on devils just to survive. Not-Germany is not Not-Dracula (which is cool and good and they aren't evil they are just vampires). Not-Aztecs have returned to their old ways cause lol 2012ish Apocalypse. And Not-Cthulhu threatens to turn the world into a staging point for the invasion of the 4th dimension if not stopped.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Donkringel posted:

Is Ramc going to start posting his thoughts now? Triple the L.p., triple the fun?

Ramc thinking:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
:agreed:

N and W mages normally just end up casting a bunch of useless self buffs. F at least will vomit out evocations non-stop. And E is a coin toss between off-center buffs and decent spells.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Broken Box posted:

Have there ever been a multiplayer Doms game where the world was not reduced to a hosed to death pile of burning poo poo by the end of it? I imagine it would take an "environmentalist" game where certain global/provincial damaging spells are banned, but even then the world would still be plagued with blood sacrifice, vampires, demons and horrors from the void.

The point of "plot" of Dominions is the War of Assenction causes the literal apocalypse, and frankly the gods don't care because they're just there to either win or die.

Anticheese posted:

Or Conquest of Elysium, where the best case scenario is being drafted to stand guard over your formerly defenseless home...and the worst cases are innumerable.

I bet any artwork depicting scenes from the end of an ascension war is indistinguishable from a metal album cover.

Someones really should do a Conquest of Elysium LP. I've been told it's basically if you played a province commander instead of a Pretender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheDemon posted:

The implication is they get lured out into the void and eaten by horrors.

It's us. The players. We're the Horrors that keep causing the world of Dominions to repete its endless loop cause we get bored and start another game of the gods.

• Locked thread