Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Short bows is what was written, not crossbows. Patala can throw out large numbers of monkeys with shortbows, which generally don't do anything useful against the higher values of armor in the Late Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance

PurpleXVI posted:

It's a shame the goat isn't an option for a Pretender chassis.

Also, by "attracting a dragon," do you mean attracting a dragon ATTACK or attracting a dragon ALLY?

Dragon attack. If I recall correctly from when I was hit by that event, you are attacked by the fire Dragon which many nations can get as a Pretender.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance

goatface posted:

Does it have the pretender flag or can you steal it?

No Pretender flag, but you'll rarely have an extra high S mage who can take several months or years off waiting for the event to proc. Nevermind the fact that it has 18 MR, which doesn't help.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
Or, alternatively, you could give a thug a frostbrand, a Ring of Tamed Lightning, and a Copper Plate and watch it solo the battle. For 15 gems you'd get enough lightning resist to be immune to both the Spring hawks and any Thunder Strikes from Zeus, while the AoE from the brand will let you get through the hawks at a decent rate.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
Oh yes, its just almost impossible for Xilbaba to be able to cast them at this point. For instance, if you use the Wish spell and ask for Genocide a third of the world's population will die off, and each unit in the game has a chance to be attacked. Sure, the attack doesn't have enough damage to threaten a giant or a dragon, but lots of powerful mages are old dudes with low max hp. Or, to use an option that fits better with a blood nation, Astral Corruption causes there to be a chance of being attacked by a Horror every time mages cast a non-blood ritual or forge an item. Sure, cheap and low end spells like the site-searching ones mean you'd get weak horrors, but if you want to use the big and mighty spells/items you'd better accept the very real chance of something a Doom Horror.

Edit: Its worth noting that the above happens to everyone on the map.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
If you mean tougher defenders? Not in my experience. However, they are not the most powerful thrones. For instance, Level 3 thrones often aren't included in games because of how ridiculous the Throne of Splendour is. Said throne is one of the many that buff your sacreds. It gives all your sacreds Awe, which can be really nasty if your opponents don't have mindless troops that are strong enough or in large enough numbers to contend with your sacreds.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
Usually, if its summoned with gems or slaves it doesn't have a gold upkeep. Some exceptions exist, mostly stuff that could also be grabbed with gold like the Yaksha of the monkey nations. Kailasa can recruit them at their capital, so if you summon them you would have to pay the normal gold upkeep.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
Easier to find and gather? Sure, but far less useful.

Dom 1 Manual posted:

But arcana is not the sole source of magic power. The life blood of the living is inherently magical. It is the magic in the blood that allows heroes to perform great feats, babies to be born and emotions to stir. Blood magic is the mastery of this power. Unfortunately the magic in the blood is diluted at best. Few mages can tap enough strength from their own blood to be able to perform magic feats. To do so the blood mage must spill the blood of other people.

The blood power is strongest in females as they need it to give birth to children, but their strength vanes with birth and so the blood mages seek out virgins to enslave and sacrifice when magic is to be performed. Blood mages are greatly feared and hated. Only the warlocks of Abysia are known to practice this foul magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
The closest you could get would be massively decreasing the speed of research and maybe lowering the number of magic sites. I think this'd also decreases the number of slaves you'd get from blood hunting, but if not than blood would likely need to be banned.

• Locked thread