Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

quote:

Bouattia, 28, has had to deal with so much anger by now that you might think she would be immune to it, but I don’t think she is. Before she became president of the National Union of Students (NUS) in April she served two years as the union’s black students’ officer, during which she rejected a motion condemning Isis. She was promptly branded a terrorist sympathiser by the press, who chose not to report that her only objection to the motion was its poor wording, which she wanted to correct.

Some Jewish critics still maintain that she is antisemitic. Others argue that anti-Zionism is antisemitic. Bouattia maintains that they have misunderstood and misinterpreted her, and are wrong. I think this would be a perfectly defensible position for her to take if only she applied the same principle when student unions invoke the NUS’s no-platform policy. I want to talk to her about Germaine Greer, who Cardiff University students’ union demanded be no platformed last year, owing to her views on transsexuals. This is when the argument begins.

Greer has repeatedly stated that she does not hate transsexuals, is not critical of their choices, and couldn’t care less if anyone wants to reassign their gender. She simply does not share the belief that a man who decides to live as a woman was female all along, or that surgical procedures can wholly reassign gender.

What Greer thinks she means is not the point, she says; the trans community consider her a “fascist”, the NUS respects their view, ergo Greer is a fascist.

But Bouattia doesn’t accept that just because some Jewish people consider her antisemitic, that means she is. Why, then, does she not accord this principle to anyone else? “This is the NUS policy,” she repeats. It’s like talking to a speaking clock. I suggest that when a policy ends up branding Greer a fascist, it’s time for an urgent policy review. Universities exist as places where people engage with ideas, and learn; they are not meant to be sealed panic rooms, are they? “This is the NUS policy.”

While I get more and more worked up, Bouattia just smiles placidly. I ask her to call her parents the next day and ask them if they, as senior academics, agree that Greer is too dangerous to be allowed to talk to students. When I email Bouattia later in the week, she doesn’t respond, and the press officer tells me she is out of the country and uncontactable.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/sep/18/nus-president-malia-bouattia-political-activists-are-being-demonised

also in the article: student politician literally blames the UK govt radicalisation prevention policy for low voting turnout in national student union elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Cool_tony on the groundfloor of a cool thread

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Cool_tony posted:

big human being being totally a loving loser real c00l right here ~red m

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been conflicted for a long time, but i have finally found my courage. op, shitposters, as the most important people in my life i want you to be the first to know. i am gay.

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Serious Frolicking posted:

i've been conflicted for a long time, but i have finally found my courage. op, shitposters, as the most important people in my life i want you to be the first to know. i am gay.

no u arent u liar bitch i saw u in Leslieville being straight the other day

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

tonite

at the pit

everyone

gets

laid

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
smell my balls

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Cool_tony posted:

:chloe:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
im not an antisemite i just dont like it when people act "too jewish" for their own good

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the only thing worse than student politics is this thread

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lichy posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/sep/18/nus-president-malia-bouattia-political-activists-are-being-demonised

also in the article: student politician literally blames the UK govt radicalisation prevention policy for low voting turnout in national student union elections

i read the article where she said she became the 'first black something of the something' and went...what?

is the future of college liberalism everyone just saying loudly 'im black' until it's as bannable as the homosexual equivalent on these forums?

edit

who remembers this case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Dolezal

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 18, 2016

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
i too am black (and hate trannies and jews, apparently)

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Enfield posted:

smell my balls

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3qSk44dP50

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No one cares about protected class microregressions

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

R-Type posted:

No one cares about protected class microregressions

duh

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
My skin colour was turned into a meme.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Animal-Mother posted:

i too am black (and hate trannies and jews, apparently)

goons have joked about this for a while but i really dont understand how the same camp of people can support transsexual rights 100 percent to the point where it's offensive if you refer to bruce jenner as bruce even when discussing the olympics where he identified himself as a man named bruce, and this same movement hides all of it's hatred, and also does not allow anyone to be transracial

need an expert scientist reply here: isn't there actually a bigger difference between having XX chromosomes and XY chromosomes than there is between races? pretty sure race is like a long term melanin trait and sex is a permanently bigger genetic difference that makes our brains and hormones permanently different as can be measured by science

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJu6vG64C2M

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

extra stout posted:

goons have joked about this for a while but i really dont understand how the same camp of people can support transsexual rights 100 percent to the point where it's offensive if you refer to bruce jenner as bruce even when discussing the olympics where he identified himself as a man named bruce, and this same movement hides all of it's hatred, and also does not allow anyone to be transracial

need an expert scientist reply here: isn't there actually a bigger difference between having XX chromosomes and XY chromosomes than there is between races? pretty sure race is like a long term melanin trait and sex is a permanently bigger genetic difference that makes our brains and hormones permanently different as can be measured by science

South Park made an episode about this poo poo like a decade ago and it was dumb then too

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the gently caress is this bullshit? Is that how journalists write now? It reads like loving bullshit.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

South Park made an episode about this poo poo like a decade ago and it was dumb then too

im p sure 95%of a goons worldly knowledge is gleaned from south park episodes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

extra stout posted:

basically, humans, like this thread, are reall dumb

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWUBXv8PAk

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Can I get a tl;dr on this bullshit please

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Nooner posted:

subscribe to my youtube channel and ill make good playlists and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/user/spockhammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mp8a0ka7L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLS47KRZ1GE

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Nooner posted:

People are mad about stupid stuff that doesn't matter.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cool_tony posted:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
psa: this is what happens to you if you care about student politics

dont do it kids, its not big and its not clever

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Troll Bouattia get slewattia, op.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is this how English people write columns? It's loving bollocks, mate!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Nooner posted:

Cool_tony got a righteous first post, and we're pretty proud for him.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lichy posted:

the silent majority

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

lol why the gently caress would a student union waste time drafting up condemnations

and why would anyone care

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
because they do something where they dont have actual lectures to go to

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
As an Algerian I can almost guarantee she is Algerian or Moroccan or ethnically Arabic in some way, we all have the same beliefs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

im gaye posted:

lol why the gently caress would a student union waste time drafting up condemnations

and why would anyone care
These people often go on to real politics so it's seen as a thing you ought to do.

For example Wes Streeting, hated enemy of J-Corbz, was the NUS president when I was kicking around in student politics and is now a blairite warmonger instead of a guy in charge of no-platforming coca cola or sending the NUS' official condolences to Romanian orphans etc.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
I read the entire trainwreck of an article and failed to see a single sick burn

I want my god drat time back

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
That journalist seems very unprofessional and I want to see this poor wording to decide my official policy although not enough to attempt to google it or actually read the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dont know maybe it would a good thing of israelis stopped trying to kill palestinian people all the time? v:confused:v

-antisemitic statement

• Locked thread