Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was a bigger/badder thing for America?
Big Box Stores
Dotcom/Tech
This question and the answers for it are both complicated and stupid and I have a totally different take on the matter.
View Results

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
The media seems to have a fascination with the tech billionaires of Silicon Valley and the like. I think mostly because Baby Boomers are fascinated by anything that disturbs the narrow little world that they grew up in, and they seem to have a love/hate relationship with this "Net 2.0" that has both let them tweet about disrespectful athletes, but also has made them no longer masters of the world.

But I think that Big Box stores changed American life just as much as the dotcom era and later social media did, its just underreported because it seems "normal enough" to the Boomers and the media that panders to them. But lets compare the two:

Big Box Stores:

Bad:
Increased oil dependence by sprawling out communities
Also destroyed lots of habitat
(Generally bad for the environment in a lot of ways)
Ruined town character, and disrupted community relations
Drove down wages
Ugly and tacky

Good:
Gave access to cheap stuff to people who otherwise wouldn't have had it
Made it so that if you wanted to buy something simple like a keyboard you could just drive to Best Buy and get it, instead of having to go to the one weird crowded computer store run by neckbeards

Tech/DotCom

Bad:
Used a lot of resources by encouraging conspicuous consumption
Encouraged people to stare at screens all day
Disrupted communities
Full of smug fuckers who play foosball all day and made rents in San Francisco riduculous

Good:
Enabled people to interact with the wider world
Greatly eroded barriers around the world
Encouraged new forms of creativity and community
Made life generally more fun and versatile and convenient

I think on balance Tech gave more to the world. Big Box stores changed communities more than is generally accepted, I think it tore apart traditional social fabric much more than the internet did, but unlike the internet, it didn't replace it with anything.

Also, on a personal level, even though tech is full of smarmy fuckers who I kind of want to punch, lots of them try. Like Zuckerberg. He looks like an annoying, smug bastard. But I think he means well, or means something. I could actually have some type of conversation with him. Compare that with Alice Walton, who literally killed a woman while drunk and wasn't charged for it because Texas.

I think the choice is clear here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Darth123123 posted:

I don't know where your going op

Going down to Walmart to pick up 5 packages of Candy Corn Oreo for 10 dollars

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

jackyl posted:

I'm thinking millennials are worse than Walmart or the tech booms or anything really

SELFIE STICKS!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Serious Frolicking posted:

i think that every human creation including humans themselves must be burned away from the face of the earth

Are you sure you didn't mean to post this in the Evangelion thread?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Chinatown posted:

who loving gives a poo poo

Quite a few people do, and people who don't, should.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

gary oldmans diary posted:

the pros and cons of french bread pizza vs big box stores:

I used to get this really good French Bread pizza, fresh bread, fresh cheese and sauces and just a little oregano on top, at my local independent grocery store in Montana. It cost me like under 2 dollars for a slice, which was a pretty good deal. There was some big box stores on the other end of town, but I liked my small, locally-owned market with its fresh deli food and bakery with extra good donuts.

If I could have just instagrammed one of these great french bread pizzas, I would have had a perfectly cromulant joinder of all three of our topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

CJacobs posted:

The good done by both of those things far outweighs nearly all of their negatives op, the question you pose is a loaded one that implies either of them was bad for the US when really neither of them were

Source: Thomas Friedman's taxi driver whose nephew built an e-commerce business on a smartphone he bought at the local Wal-Mart.

• Locked thread