Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

This is what I'm talking about--boneless whitefish creatures that manage to create sentences flopping around on the keyboard. Offensive? No. Impotent? You bet your rear end. Annoying? Yeah, that's where they get ya.

If you're 13 and being told why you can't scream "friend of the family" in the hallways for the first time, then yeah.

I mean he's not a literal principal, but people who apply the ideas of political correctness as a fad rather than out of actual concern for others are frustratingly common. Even before Tumblr I remember an encounter with a girl who raged against Boondocks for being "racist against black people" and wouldn't believe me when I told her that Aaron McGruder was himself Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

If you're 13 and being told why you can't scream "friend of the family" in the hallways for the first time, then yeah.

This strawman dismissal worked pretty great a few years ago, not so much anymore.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mind the walrus posted:

I don't live in my mom's basement so I have to interact with fucknuggets who think that Manbearpig, PC Principal, and Science Otters are a serious basis for critical reasoning every so often, and that's annoying. It obliquely degrades an otherwise decent goof cartoon.

I think the problem is that you associate with people who use South Park for critical reasoning, not satire.

Seems like the failure to interpret the material is their problem, not the show's.

Applewhite posted:

Even before Tumblr I remember an encounter with a girl who raged against Boondocks for being "racist against black people" and wouldn't believe me when I told her that Aaron McGruder was himself Black.

Now if we're talking about showrunners who use their shows as unsubtle platforms for their views with no hint of satire or irony whatsoever, McGruder manages to top even Seth MacFarlane pretty handily.

Remember the shitstorm when he denounced BET? Good times.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 19, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Anyway the problem with manbearpig isn't that it was making fun of global warming. The problem is that the "50% one thing, 50% another thing, 50% another thing" joke was lazy and played out even at the time and Matt and Trey should be and are better than that.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

mind the walrus posted:

I don't live in my mom's basement so I have to interact with fucknuggets who think that Manbearpig, PC Principal, and Science Otters are a serious basis for critical reasoning every so often, and that's annoying. It obliquely degrades an otherwise decent goof cartoon.

When you get right down to it, most people's politics are bullshit because most people are loving stupid. Whether they get their opinions from breitbart, south park, or somethingawful.com is incidental.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
South Park made fun of a thing I like so now the entirety of the series is libertarian garbage propaganda that I, being so intelligent, can see right through, mister!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Its ok to simply not like it but to legitimately think its bad means you're legitimately stupid, like IQ wise

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its ok to simply not like it but to legitimately think its bad means you're legitimately stupid, like IQ wise

Legitimately

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ElectricSheep posted:

I think the problem is that you associate with people who use South Park for critical reasoning, not satire.

Seems like the failure to interpret the material is their problem, not the show's.

Now if we're talking about showrunners who use their shows as unsubtle platforms for their views with no hint of satire or irony whatsoever, McGruder manages to top even Seth MacFarlane pretty handily.

Remember the shitstorm when he denounced BET? Good times.

BET is bad and he's 100% right about it being detrimental to African Americans.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Applewhite posted:

Legitimately

Unironically legitimately legit

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mind the walrus posted:

decent goof cartoon.

This is the only good and sane opinion of South Park.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Yeah it's a cartoon that sometimes is funny and sometimes not; why do goons get so up in arms over it?

The back half of the last season was meh for me but otherwise they have tons and tons of funny episodes. If you don't like it that's okay.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

Yeah it's a cartoon that sometimes is funny and sometimes not; why do goons get so up in arms over it?

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Roylicious posted:

why do goons get so up in arms over it?

You can ask that question in just about any thread; why does anybody do anything?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
If you can't get in on some good old fashioned making fun of Al Gore because you're too caught up in "50% 50% 50% joke ugh so tired and played out come on Matt and Trey I expect better" then dang man.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Roylicious posted:

If you can't get in on some good old fashioned making fun of Al Gore because you're too caught up in "50% 50% 50% joke ugh so tired and played out come on Matt and Trey I expect better" then dang man.

I could totally get into the Al Gore caricature, I just didn't like that specific aspect of manbearpig. It was a pretty central part of the manbearpig joke and it managed to give even me, a dumb middle schooler at the time, comedy douche chills.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
My saaaaafe spaceeeeee

That song is funny

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Remember thew NASCAR episode when so many people thought it was hilarious that south park was making fun of it?

They were all pissed a couple days later when they figured out south park was making fun of people who make fun of nascar.

Member that? Member the nascar episode?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

GORDON posted:

Remember thew NASCAR episode when so many people thought it was hilarious that south park was making fun of it?

They were all pissed a couple days later when they figured out south park was making fun of people who make fun of nascar.

Ooh. I member.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

GORDON posted:

I member. Member the Lord of the Rings episode with the x rated video. Mmmm that was a good episode.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Roylicious posted:

I think because it's changed so much over the years from what it originally was.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Member Mr. Kitty. Don't see him(her?) much anymore.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Has it really though? They've always made fun of topical events. Unless you're talking about originally like the first two seasons but that's going pretty far back.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I liked the episode where they fight a giant robot Barbara Streisand.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
People have nostalgia over Chef's salty, chocolate balls.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cnut the Great posted:

Anyway the problem with manbearpig isn't that it was making fun of global warming. The problem is that the "50% one thing, 50% another thing, 50% another thing" joke was lazy and played out even at the time and Matt and Trey should be and are better than that.

I don't get it, why is the 3 halves thing played out? Not being American, is it 2000 Election or Inconvenient Truth related?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
For a show that's been running for 20 years, it's been remarkably consistent.

Theophany posted:

I don't get it, why is the 3 halves thing played out? Not being American, is it 2000 Election or Inconvenient Truth related?

Sometimes people get mad when a joke is too simple because then they can't prove how smart they are by laughing at it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Member the Junior Detectives episode? I memberrr

Anyways South Park is pretty hit or miss but I usually enjoy it.

gently caress da Mods posted:

My saaaaafe spaceeeeee

That song is funny

:yeah:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
All right, that does it, Bill. I'm pretty sure that killing Jesus is not very Christian.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The episode that shits all over Catholic dogma is super good if you were raised Catholic

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Theophany posted:

Are you kidding me? It's an old dad joke.

Naerasa posted:

Sometimes people get mad when a joke is too simple because then they can't prove how smart they are by laughing at it.

I laugh at fart jokes, dude. Don't try to psychoanalyze people on the Internet for having harmless opinions that differ from yours, it's weird.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2whrQTHp7U

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cnut the Great posted:

I laugh at fart jokes, dude. Don't try to psychoanalyze people on the Internet for having harmless opinions that differ from yours, it's weird.

You're the guy over-analyzing TV jokes trying to poke holes in a TV show about foul mouthed children who are friends with a literal talking turd, which is also weird

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cnut the Great posted:

I could only assume there was some deeper meaning I'd missed given the fact that people are actually bothered about a corny joke and saying Matt and Trey should've done better I mean jfc.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like the scott tenorman episode. i think i quit watching after the 3 part imaginationland season

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I like when the time immigrants are taking all the jobs so the rednecks have a big gay orgy to try and stop the future from happening.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Booblord Zagats posted:

The episode that shits all over Catholic dogma is super good if you were raised Catholic

Heh. https://youtu.be/bctivboqvKo

Recently, the yaoi episode had me cracking the gently caress up. I utterly lost it when they showed the fanart-mural. The decision to use real shipper fanart for that episode was a work of mad genius. I liked this episode so much I made a gbs thread about it. :) I'm gay.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

I like when the time immigrants are taking all the jobs so the rednecks have a big gay orgy to try and stop the future from happening.

oh god yes, this is my favorite episode

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The Korn Halloween episode that cribbed Scooby Doo was the only good thing Korn was ever involved with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
South park is pretty good.
Lol if you don't like a cartoon show because ~politics~
I guess those are the same people who gets triggered by pepe the frog. Or everything

• Locked thread