Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Another pie in the sky MMO the promises the world and all these cool features? Make the thread in a year and a half when we'll actually have something concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rough Lobster posted:

Another pie in the sky MMO the promises the world and all these cool features? Make the thread in a year and a half when we'll actually have something concrete.

Whelp I guess this will be the last thread for this game we will ever see. :v:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Mods need to make a rule for MMOHMO that it is a ban worthy offense to post a new game thread that isn't in at least closed beta, with a specific date for open beta (release date these days).

Would save goons thousands :homebrew:

Honestly, anything prior to that belongs in the Fine Arts FYAD section.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dustoph posted:

Mods need to make a rule for MMOHMO that it is a ban worthy offense to post a new game thread that isn't in at least closed beta, with a specific date for open beta (release date these days).

This rule sounds like a great idea, I'll throw $100 towards its implementation. Well done, goon sire.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Martman posted:

This rule sounds like a great idea, I'll throw $100 towards its implementation. Well done, goon sire.

For $1000 you get the title of Goon Guardian and a special icon by your name. Spaces are limited, act now!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I can't believe the op just unloaded a turd and ran off. You're supposed to spend a dozen pages smearing the turd around.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

randombattle posted:

I can't believe the op just unloaded a turd and ran off. You're supposed to spend a dozen pages smearing the turd around.

They haven't even linked the latest voxel video. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWcuwt9bjHo

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Man, it's just too ambitious. They're gonna fall short of their expectations and people are gonna be all shootin' their squidly inks about in a frenzy, just like how it's happened before for the other people who did similar activities and such.

I'm like, gonna sort of look? At it? But I don't think I'm going to start proddin' it with a stick until after there's been like, actual third-party humes playin' the game and bein' all "Yo this is siiiiick".

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

They will totally make their kickstarter though I bet. And then the game will never come out like all of these projects always end up.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

randombattle posted:

They will totally make their kickstarter though I bet. And then the game will never come out like all of these projects always end up.

Barkley 2 could still make it!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They haven't even linked the latest voxel video. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWcuwt9bjHo

Looks just as ugly and poorly functional as Landmark. They even have the same issues getting acute/obtuse angled objects to render correctly when placed inside each other.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Good Dumplings posted:

This is exactly what Elite did during their kickstarter though; the moment they had even two fighters flying around in a belt they were showing it in their developer blog.
Okay, since you missed the point by a couple of kilometers, I'll spell it out for you: concept art is used to make models. Models are used in gameplay. Therefore, concept art is created before gameplay footage.

Good Dumplings posted:

And again, Elite was perfectly capable of at least showing basic gameplay during their pitch. If this team can't do that, how can I expect them to have working netcode?

It's a good thing Elite is an MMO and has the same networking architecture as the one being proposed here therefore making your point valid and not completely irrelevant. It's also a good thing that small-scale/local/non-MMO networking architecture is totally identical to large-scale architecture, and no Early Access "MMO" that supported 32 people in their "demo" as "proof" has never been abandoned after they realize that they're incapable of breaking the ~100/~1000 CCU mark without rewriting all of their server code.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

SweetBro posted:

Okay, since you missed the point by a couple of kilometers, I'll spell it out for you: concept art is used to make models. Models are used in gameplay. Therefore, concept art is created before gameplay footage.

Awesome, thanks for focusing on how much smarter you are instead of literally telling someone "you know nothing about game development". I can't believe that this fart of a post is seriously a step up, but I will give you props for that. Okay, how about House of the Dying Sun? Or are you actually going to say that the Star Citizen way of concepts first, actual art for models later, code never is somehow a standard tactic in studios that end up finishing games?

SweetBro posted:

It's a good thing Elite is an MMO and has the same networking architecture as the one being proposed here therefore making your point valid and not completely irrelevant. It's also a good thing that small-scale/local/non-MMO networking architecture is totally identical to large-scale architecture, and no Early Access "MMO" that supported 32 people in their "demo" as "proof" has never been abandoned after they realize that they're incapable of breaking the ~100/~1000 CCU mark without rewriting all of their server code.

And here your entire point is "gently caress you I'm smarter". Whatever they want to do, they need to show they can do something; there's no chance in hell they'll be able to set up an MMO, but they can at least make a multiplayer game out of it if they get some of that gameplay implemented.

Man, I have no idea why you're pissed as poo poo but I at least hope it wasn't over something important. Like, you're mad because the dog crapped on the floor or something.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I like where this deep discussion about this beautiful fan fic is going. Do you think the author will add a signed bio pic if you pre order this novella? Maybe some pictures of his studio with papers and words strewn about? Or is it more likely that he's only hired the cover artist to display on his website and is going to jump on an airplane with our novella kickstarter funds to Barcelona while all we get is a paragraph from Chapter 8. The Universe is a cruel bitch and I call her Mom?

Who the gently caress am I kidding? Just pledged :20bux:

Edit: This novella has some fun reads. But there are also a lot of blank pages, and the chapters don't always have an end. But the publishing company told us this before hand. If you like this type of novella, you may want to get in on this now. Otherwise I'd say check back in a decade.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

Awesome, thanks for focusing on how much smarter you are instead of literally telling someone "you know nothing about game development". I can't believe that this fart of a post is seriously a step up, but I will give you props for that. Okay, how about House of the Dying Sun? Or are you actually going to say that the Star Citizen way of concepts first, actual art for models later, code never is somehow a standard tactic in studios that end up finishing games?

And here your entire point is "gently caress you I'm smarter". Whatever they want to do, they need to show they can do something; there's no chance in hell they'll be able to set up an MMO, but they can at least make a multiplayer game out of it if they get some of that gameplay implemented.

Man, I have no idea why you're pissed as poo poo but I at least hope it wasn't over something important. Like, you're mad because the dog crapped on the floor or something.

It's cause you're saying poo poo that's irredeemably loving retarded. You are crying that a game in it's early stages of development, is a game in it's early stages of development.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

SweetBro posted:

It's cause you're saying poo poo that's irredeemably loving retarded. You are crying that a game in it's early stages of development, is a game in it's early stages of development.

...You're joking, right? People that get games done start with code first, art second. XCOM didn't start with concept art, they built prototypes with cylinders for models for like a good year before they even began considering the art style. Same thing here, if you intend to make this a finished product you should already have at least a vertical slice on video, not a bunch of paintings that have to be reworked into character art that has to be reworked into a model that has to be rigged, then rerigged because your animation code hasn't been settled. Unless you're just pitching to take money and run, but in that case they wouldn't have gameplay footage period, they'd just show some cutscenes.

e: Okay I'm probably not being fair. You clearly have some examples of what an art-first game looks like, show me some examples of these projects that get funded and turn out a product that's not hugely cut down from the initial pitch.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 23, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

e: Okay I'm probably not being fair. You clearly have some examples of what an art-first game looks like, show me some examples of these projects that get funded and turn out a product that's not hugely cut down from the initial pitch.

Yes, games typically are designed before they are developed.
Examples of games that were designed first and developed after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming#Game_releases

Good Dumplings posted:

you should already have at least a vertical slice on video

:stare:

You realize that vertical slices take a tremendous amount of development time and are generally not produced before the game mostly comple- You know what? I don't care anymore. You're so woefully ignorant on this subject that there isn't an iota of value to be gained from talking with you.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Yes, games typically are designed before they are developed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming#Game_releases

:stare:

You realize that vertical slices take a tremendous amount of development time and are generally not produced before the game mostly comple- You know what? I don't care anymore. You're so woefully ignorant on this subject that there isn't an iota of value to be gained from talking with you.

You literally refuse to give examples when called out; how are you this transparently toxic? If you're so right about everything I'm not sure why you bother talking to other people in the first place.

e: of course, what was I thinking, this is the work of a guy that totally was arguing in good faith

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 23, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Good Dumplings posted:

You literally refuse to give examples when called out; how are you this transparently toxic? If you're so right about everything I'm not sure why you bother talking to other people in the first place.

I don't know what the gently caress either of you ABA therapy taking fucks are talking about, but he gave you a couple hundred examples. So either talk about those outside of baby's comfort zone or please get back to the prior novella. What the gently caress do you think this is, MMOHMO? My dogs could crap out better games than both of you.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Dustoph posted:

I don't know what the gently caress either of you ABA therapy taking fucks are talking about, but he gave you a couple hundred examples. So either talk about those outside of baby's comfort zone or please get back to the prior novella. What the gently caress do you think this is, MMOHMO? My dogs could crap out better games than both of you.

Right, right, I went way off topic. Okay, so the next thing I would like to know is: how come there's no livery editor? Nobody's done Forza in space, it's like... a completely untapped market. Paint human dongs on your giant metal space dong, or a lovingly rendered moeblob on the side of a neon pink starbomber, possibilities are endless.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

e: of course, what was I thinking, this is the work of a guy that totally was arguing in good faith

Wait did you just start reading through my entire positing history so you can dump on a game-idea that I was working on as a hobby project which BTW (ironically enough) had ~10k lines of code written before the first piece of art was finished?
:downsbravo:

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 23, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Wait did you just start reading through my entire positing history so you can dump on a game-idea that I was working on as a hobby project which BTW (ironically enough) had ~10k lines of code written before the first piece of art was finished?
:downsbravo:

so much gameplay you literally can't show it to me, lol. link me a game you actually finished and I'll buy you an av

Ok, seriousposting: what do the devs think of this guy: http://procworld.blogspot.com/

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

so much gameplay you literally can't show it to me, lol
Since you made me all nostalgic about an old project of mine and I never miss a chance to epeen. K.
https://gfycat.com/GracefulThoroughAustraliankelpie

Quick walk-through since most poo poo still gave feedback in console and I don't feel like upgrading this project from whatever fuckall version of Unity I was using at the time.

It was originally supposed to be a robust UI system, but then I watched too much Fate and decided to make a Holy Grail War Style game.
Game is multiplayer and requires at least a client and a host to start, hence the two screens. At the start you secretly bet mana on Heroic Spirits Revenants. Mana is the game's only resource and you start with a fixed amount of it based on your Mage Summoner stats, which right now is pulled from a random file on my AWS server which is a placeholder for a persistent progression system. Anyways the way mana bets work is that you basically buy "tickets" for a "raffle" on each Revnant, you can bet on multiple Revnants and if you don't win any raffle you get delt a left over one (it's a complicated system so I'm not going to bother with the exact details). poo poo at the top is the day night cycle, game starts at night. You can only use obvious magic such as "Mana Font" (a resource collector) or "Barrier" (a wall) at night. The red part is the blood moon mechanic which slowly fills up (also game is like X 5 pace for testing purposes), you can only murderface other players during the bloodmoon. Anyways you walk around the various nodes which provide quasi fog of war mechanics where unless you had special spells cast you can only see individuals on the same node as you (represented by the triangles and poo poo). The nodes themselves were a bitch to do because of the pathfinding involved, which in retrospect was a waste of loving time because players would just clicking on each node in sequence rather than their destination node. Anyways, the last bit is the combat which I was half way through rewriting because initially I decided that combat will always be 1v1 pokemon-style with spectator mode for anyone at the arena site, but limited playtests showed that people would just sit around them being bored because they can't join in the fun so I started rewriting it. There was also an attack que system where each attack would have a hefty wind-up and you would que multiple attacks and the idea was to get players to counter and interrupt each others attacks but once again playtesting revealed that to be boring and I didn't quite figure out what to replace it with. Anyways, right around this time I got promoted to tech-lead in my day job and didn't have anymore time to work on my hobby projects. Though I have to be proud of how obscenely modularized I made everything, since I wanted to have players the ability to mod their revenatns Fate/Zero style and also had planned one Reevnant to be able to steal skills from other Revenants in the game.

So what did you make?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 23, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

I made a lol, that took you 10k lines to make pokemon. obvs not a finished game but I don't see MMMMMMMMMMM anywhere, I will deliver as promised

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

I made a lol, that took you 10k lines to make pokemon. obvs not a finished game but I don't see MMMMMMMMMMM anywhere, I will deliver as promised

First of all it's online multiplayer which massively increases how much code has to be written for literally everything. Second of all the only similarity this game has with pokemon was the original combat system which was scrapped. Third of all this game is like 20% finished at best (I basically took a couple of hours every few days for a couple of months to work on this), so no there is no MMMMMM, but there is "gameplay". Lastly you can deliver by holding onto this new avatar and title for me.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

wait that's supposed to be an mmo too

tell me more about the bloodmoon

e: no wait tell me more about the scrapped mechanics, did you have ~an idea~ for the immersive new combat system

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello.

I feel that perhaps we are getting a tad too invested in shouting down the other. Let's take several hours to step back, sleep on what has been said and then begin to post again.

Thank you kindly,
VG

Dustoph posted:

Also I think I might implement some kind of rule involving this. Not ban worthy at least, but maybe a tag that people can use for titles of the MMO thread that haven't even started to accept members.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

ah that's fair, thanks for being prompt VG

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

What kind of marketing team sends in a shill to this loving forum of all places. We ruin everything that is good and worsen everything bad. We are the literal MMO terrorists.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Also I think I might implement some kind of rule involving this. Not ban worthy at least, but maybe a tag that people can use for titles of the MMO thread that haven't even started to accept members.

I thought that's what the tag was for.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Hello.

I feel that perhaps we are getting a tad too invested in shouting down the other. Let's take several hours to step back, sleep on what has been said and then begin to post again.

Thank you kindly,
VG

The gently caress are mods doing in MMO HMO anyway. I always figured MMOHMO and Private Games Servers subforums were that spot in international waters were all the garbage just kinda floats in the middle of nowhere unpoliced.

Edit: Probably how we attracted this Shill in here. I mean who the gently caress is this guy even

https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Wilks+Checkov

His first and only avatar is for this space engineers 2 mockup.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 23, 2016

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Drinkfist posted:

What kind of marketing team sends in a shill to this loving forum of all places. We ruin everything that is good and worsen everything bad. We are the literal MMO terrorists.

True, but goons also increase player dynamics and make games much more interesting for other players. Age of Wushu actually misses us. :(

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Drinkfist posted:

These guys seem heavily inspired by Eve so it looks like a lead-footed attempt at 'hey lets pick up our very own goonswarm'

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Drinkfist posted:

I always enjoy it when misguided companies do this sort of thing though. :iiam:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Why pay a shill when I was already doing it for free?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

True, but goons also increase player dynamics and make games much more interesting for other players. Age of Wushu actually misses us. :(

That is one of those rare cases where we hit a game so hard the entire player population got Stockholm syndrome. There are better documented cases of our cancer causing massive playerbase strife which lead to entire guilds quitting the game. Games like:

- Archeage (Black Hole Implosion sucking in multiple pubbie guilds and the goon guild togeather)
- Swordsman Online (I can say I personally ruined the top guild and a man's marriage)
- Eve Online (Bob)
- Black Desert (Countless tiny guilds were war decced and run out of the channels as well as a great deal of fisherman quitting the game)

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Drinkfist posted:

That is one of those rare cases where we hit a game so hard the entire player population got Stockholm syndrome. There are better documented cases of our cancer causing massive playerbase strife which lead to entire guilds quitting the game. Games like:

- Archeage (Black Hole Implosion sucking in multiple pubbie guilds and the goon guild togeather)
- Swordsman Online (I can say I personally ruined the top guild and a man's marriage)
- Eve Online (Bob)
- Black Desert (Countless tiny guilds were war decced and run out of the channels as well as a great deal of fisherman quitting the game)

I think in AA, our ArcheAge black hole sucked in and destroyed almost every major power bloc and before we blew up we forced a lot of the top guilds off the server just by inducing massive rage.

The two weeks where we pirated the fishing spots indiscriminately were priceless.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

I think in AA, our ArcheAge black hole sucked in and destroyed almost every major power bloc and before we blew up we forced a lot of the top guilds off the server just by inducing massive rage.

The two weeks where we pirated the fishing spots indiscriminately were priceless.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

What? I don't remember that going down at all. Last I recall 90% of goons went inactive after pirate island got seized by Forrest Crowe or whatever the gently caress they called themselves, and we kept on getting our shitstomped by them in PvPenis encounters and people got bored until nothing was left but a bunch of spergy poopsockers who claimed to have hated forrest crowe for being spergy poopsockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Drinkfist posted:

The gently caress are mods doing in MMO HMO anyway. I always figured MMOHMO and Private Games Servers subforums were that spot in international waters were all the garbage just kinda floats in the middle of nowhere unpoliced.

Edit: Probably how we attracted this Shill in here. I mean who the gently caress is this guy even

https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Wilks+Checkov

His first and only avatar is for this space engineers 2 mockup.

MMO-HMO and PGS aren't quite FYADlites like imp zone or c-spam but they are also not full zones like Games main. I'm just here to help out when needed. I'm not an overbearing mod at all and you'll barely see me unless you like talking about EVE.

• Locked thread