Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I wish their dev team the best, but big promises plus concept art taking priority over gameplay footage screams trouble, especially in an MMO proposal. If they dial it down to just multiplayer there's a chance at getting something good out, Minecraft servers could do some small-scale faction warfare after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

SweetBro posted:

I don't actually think you understand the order of which things in a game are developed.

This is exactly what Elite did during their kickstarter though; the moment they had even two fighters flying around in a belt they were showing it in their developer blog.

SweetBro posted:

And this is completely wrong since any gameplay footage without a sufficiently representable amount of concurrent players (which they won't have) is completely worthless in determine whether or not they can deliver on their promises.

And again, Elite was perfectly capable of at least showing basic gameplay during their pitch. If this team can't do that, how can I expect them to have working netcode?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

OP it seems you missed my thread. Was waiting for some more significant information before bumping. Oh well, you put in more :effort:

Aren't they well aware of the scepticism and addressing it in devlogs?

I know they made a video about the netcode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZtqoydXpc

I didn't know they even had footage, this definitely should've been in the OP. Nothing's being destroyed which implies they don't have combat or the voxel deforming working, but this is way way better than storyboards of what they imagine the game will be. Everyone and their kid brother has concept art.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Okay, since you missed the point by a couple of kilometers, I'll spell it out for you: concept art is used to make models. Models are used in gameplay. Therefore, concept art is created before gameplay footage.

Awesome, thanks for focusing on how much smarter you are instead of literally telling someone "you know nothing about game development". I can't believe that this fart of a post is seriously a step up, but I will give you props for that. Okay, how about House of the Dying Sun? Or are you actually going to say that the Star Citizen way of concepts first, actual art for models later, code never is somehow a standard tactic in studios that end up finishing games?

SweetBro posted:

It's a good thing Elite is an MMO and has the same networking architecture as the one being proposed here therefore making your point valid and not completely irrelevant. It's also a good thing that small-scale/local/non-MMO networking architecture is totally identical to large-scale architecture, and no Early Access "MMO" that supported 32 people in their "demo" as "proof" has never been abandoned after they realize that they're incapable of breaking the ~100/~1000 CCU mark without rewriting all of their server code.

And here your entire point is "gently caress you I'm smarter". Whatever they want to do, they need to show they can do something; there's no chance in hell they'll be able to set up an MMO, but they can at least make a multiplayer game out of it if they get some of that gameplay implemented.

Man, I have no idea why you're pissed as poo poo but I at least hope it wasn't over something important. Like, you're mad because the dog crapped on the floor or something.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

It's cause you're saying poo poo that's irredeemably loving retarded. You are crying that a game in it's early stages of development, is a game in it's early stages of development.

...You're joking, right? People that get games done start with code first, art second. XCOM didn't start with concept art, they built prototypes with cylinders for models for like a good year before they even began considering the art style. Same thing here, if you intend to make this a finished product you should already have at least a vertical slice on video, not a bunch of paintings that have to be reworked into character art that has to be reworked into a model that has to be rigged, then rerigged because your animation code hasn't been settled. Unless you're just pitching to take money and run, but in that case they wouldn't have gameplay footage period, they'd just show some cutscenes.

e: Okay I'm probably not being fair. You clearly have some examples of what an art-first game looks like, show me some examples of these projects that get funded and turn out a product that's not hugely cut down from the initial pitch.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 23, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Yes, games typically are designed before they are developed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming#Game_releases

:stare:

You realize that vertical slices take a tremendous amount of development time and are generally not produced before the game mostly comple- You know what? I don't care anymore. You're so woefully ignorant on this subject that there isn't an iota of value to be gained from talking with you.

You literally refuse to give examples when called out; how are you this transparently toxic? If you're so right about everything I'm not sure why you bother talking to other people in the first place.

e: of course, what was I thinking, this is the work of a guy that totally was arguing in good faith

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 23, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Dustoph posted:

I don't know what the gently caress either of you ABA therapy taking fucks are talking about, but he gave you a couple hundred examples. So either talk about those outside of baby's comfort zone or please get back to the prior novella. What the gently caress do you think this is, MMOHMO? My dogs could crap out better games than both of you.

Right, right, I went way off topic. Okay, so the next thing I would like to know is: how come there's no livery editor? Nobody's done Forza in space, it's like... a completely untapped market. Paint human dongs on your giant metal space dong, or a lovingly rendered moeblob on the side of a neon pink starbomber, possibilities are endless.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Wait did you just start reading through my entire positing history so you can dump on a game-idea that I was working on as a hobby project which BTW (ironically enough) had ~10k lines of code written before the first piece of art was finished?
:downsbravo:

so much gameplay you literally can't show it to me, lol. link me a game you actually finished and I'll buy you an av

Ok, seriousposting: what do the devs think of this guy: http://procworld.blogspot.com/

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

I made a lol, that took you 10k lines to make pokemon. obvs not a finished game but I don't see MMMMMMMMMMM anywhere, I will deliver as promised

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

wait that's supposed to be an mmo too

tell me more about the bloodmoon

e: no wait tell me more about the scrapped mechanics, did you have ~an idea~ for the immersive new combat system

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

ah that's fair, thanks for being prompt VG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Every broken eve player hates eve and quits then complains constantly every other game they try isn't more like eve. Fact.

Bah! Eve is cool and good, the communities are just catty as hell. Makes sense given that it's older than some of my family members at this point.

e: uh SweetBro why did you spend 10 more bux just to change text

• Locked thread