Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Good Dumplings posted:

but big promises plus concept art taking priority over gameplay footage screams trouble
I don't actually think you understand the order of which things in a game are developed.

Good Dumplings posted:

especially in an MMO proposal.
And this is completely wrong since any gameplay footage without a sufficiently representable amount of concurrent players (which they won't have) is completely worthless in determine whether or not they can deliver on their promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

This is exactly what Elite did during their kickstarter though; the moment they had even two fighters flying around in a belt they were showing it in their developer blog.
Okay, since you missed the point by a couple of kilometers, I'll spell it out for you: concept art is used to make models. Models are used in gameplay. Therefore, concept art is created before gameplay footage.

Good Dumplings posted:

And again, Elite was perfectly capable of at least showing basic gameplay during their pitch. If this team can't do that, how can I expect them to have working netcode?

It's a good thing Elite is an MMO and has the same networking architecture as the one being proposed here therefore making your point valid and not completely irrelevant. It's also a good thing that small-scale/local/non-MMO networking architecture is totally identical to large-scale architecture, and no Early Access "MMO" that supported 32 people in their "demo" as "proof" has never been abandoned after they realize that they're incapable of breaking the ~100/~1000 CCU mark without rewriting all of their server code.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 23, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

Awesome, thanks for focusing on how much smarter you are instead of literally telling someone "you know nothing about game development". I can't believe that this fart of a post is seriously a step up, but I will give you props for that. Okay, how about House of the Dying Sun? Or are you actually going to say that the Star Citizen way of concepts first, actual art for models later, code never is somehow a standard tactic in studios that end up finishing games?

And here your entire point is "gently caress you I'm smarter". Whatever they want to do, they need to show they can do something; there's no chance in hell they'll be able to set up an MMO, but they can at least make a multiplayer game out of it if they get some of that gameplay implemented.

Man, I have no idea why you're pissed as poo poo but I at least hope it wasn't over something important. Like, you're mad because the dog crapped on the floor or something.

It's cause you're saying poo poo that's irredeemably loving retarded. You are crying that a game in it's early stages of development, is a game in it's early stages of development.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

e: Okay I'm probably not being fair. You clearly have some examples of what an art-first game looks like, show me some examples of these projects that get funded and turn out a product that's not hugely cut down from the initial pitch.

Yes, games typically are designed before they are developed.
Examples of games that were designed first and developed after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming#Game_releases

Good Dumplings posted:

you should already have at least a vertical slice on video

:stare:

You realize that vertical slices take a tremendous amount of development time and are generally not produced before the game mostly comple- You know what? I don't care anymore. You're so woefully ignorant on this subject that there isn't an iota of value to be gained from talking with you.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 23, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

e: of course, what was I thinking, this is the work of a guy that totally was arguing in good faith

Wait did you just start reading through my entire positing history so you can dump on a game-idea that I was working on as a hobby project which BTW (ironically enough) had ~10k lines of code written before the first piece of art was finished?
:downsbravo:

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 23, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

so much gameplay you literally can't show it to me, lol
Since you made me all nostalgic about an old project of mine and I never miss a chance to epeen. K.
https://gfycat.com/GracefulThoroughAustraliankelpie

Quick walk-through since most poo poo still gave feedback in console and I don't feel like upgrading this project from whatever fuckall version of Unity I was using at the time.

It was originally supposed to be a robust UI system, but then I watched too much Fate and decided to make a Holy Grail War Style game.
Game is multiplayer and requires at least a client and a host to start, hence the two screens. At the start you secretly bet mana on Heroic Spirits Revenants. Mana is the game's only resource and you start with a fixed amount of it based on your Mage Summoner stats, which right now is pulled from a random file on my AWS server which is a placeholder for a persistent progression system. Anyways the way mana bets work is that you basically buy "tickets" for a "raffle" on each Revnant, you can bet on multiple Revnants and if you don't win any raffle you get delt a left over one (it's a complicated system so I'm not going to bother with the exact details). poo poo at the top is the day night cycle, game starts at night. You can only use obvious magic such as "Mana Font" (a resource collector) or "Barrier" (a wall) at night. The red part is the blood moon mechanic which slowly fills up (also game is like X 5 pace for testing purposes), you can only murderface other players during the bloodmoon. Anyways you walk around the various nodes which provide quasi fog of war mechanics where unless you had special spells cast you can only see individuals on the same node as you (represented by the triangles and poo poo). The nodes themselves were a bitch to do because of the pathfinding involved, which in retrospect was a waste of loving time because players would just clicking on each node in sequence rather than their destination node. Anyways, the last bit is the combat which I was half way through rewriting because initially I decided that combat will always be 1v1 pokemon-style with spectator mode for anyone at the arena site, but limited playtests showed that people would just sit around them being bored because they can't join in the fun so I started rewriting it. There was also an attack que system where each attack would have a hefty wind-up and you would que multiple attacks and the idea was to get players to counter and interrupt each others attacks but once again playtesting revealed that to be boring and I didn't quite figure out what to replace it with. Anyways, right around this time I got promoted to tech-lead in my day job and didn't have anymore time to work on my hobby projects. Though I have to be proud of how obscenely modularized I made everything, since I wanted to have players the ability to mod their revenatns Fate/Zero style and also had planned one Reevnant to be able to steal skills from other Revenants in the game.

So what did you make?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 23, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

I made a lol, that took you 10k lines to make pokemon. obvs not a finished game but I don't see MMMMMMMMMMM anywhere, I will deliver as promised

First of all it's online multiplayer which massively increases how much code has to be written for literally everything. Second of all the only similarity this game has with pokemon was the original combat system which was scrapped. Third of all this game is like 20% finished at best (I basically took a couple of hours every few days for a couple of months to work on this), so no there is no MMMMMM, but there is "gameplay". Lastly you can deliver by holding onto this new avatar and title for me.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

I think in AA, our ArcheAge black hole sucked in and destroyed almost every major power bloc and before we blew up we forced a lot of the top guilds off the server just by inducing massive rage.

The two weeks where we pirated the fishing spots indiscriminately were priceless.

What? I don't remember that going down at all. Last I recall 90% of goons went inactive after pirate island got seized by Forrest Crowe or whatever the gently caress they called themselves, and we kept on getting our shitstomped by them in PvPenis encounters and people got bored until nothing was left but a bunch of spergy poopsockers who claimed to have hated forrest crowe for being spergy poopsockers.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Gawain The Blind posted:

All I want is to get slightly better at mining when I grind asteroids for 3 hours. Action->Reward. I don't feel like im asking for a lot here.

I want the opposite of that, because I have a career and spending 3 hours grinding astroids is loving retarded waste of my precious free time. The best part of EVE's mining progression, is that you could do it without actually mining anything.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Drinkfist posted:

Let me stop you right there. :getout:

:rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Every broken eve player hates eve and quits then complains constantly every other game they try isn't more like eve. Fact.

• Locked thread