Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ryoshi posted:

is this the guy that theorized about that absolutely insane thought experiment "something something basilisk" where the point was that simply knowing about it made it more likely to occur

except it was all based on really stupid assumptions that were meant as gospel, like if someone was torturing an exact replica of you, distant millenia in the future, you should care about it right now because uh...okay i never figured that out because lol that's not how anything works at all. but that was like the central motivating drive behind the whole thought experiment.

for real, i barely care about other people when i dont know for a fact that theyre terrible human beings why would i care about a me thats not even the actual me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm Gayesian

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

fun fact: that dude was making up his credentials and was exposed on tumblr

this thread sucks and the last one sucked, voted 1

It's weird to pretend to be a phd researcher and blog about your made-up research just so you can better "take down" some weird internet guy, in the same way it's weird to go to ulillillia's house and post about what kind of pizza you watched him degrease with your Nikon Monarch X Binoculars.

Nice Meltdown :smug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Pls tell us more about how Yud is the hero of the singularity and how his Harry Potter fanfic is actually superior to the real series.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fun fact: that dude was making up his credentials and was exposed on tumblr

this thread sucks and the last one sucked, voted 1

wait wait wait the guy fabricated credentials to take down the guy who doesnt have any credentials?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LegoPirateNinja posted:

wait wait wait the guy fabricated credentials to take down the guy who doesnt have any credentials?

yeah lol it's weird to me too!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The rabbit hole goes even deeper: imagine the weirdo who investigated the credentials of the weirdo who discredited Yud.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

i like applewhite more than i like most of you so i will blindly trust whatever it is he has to say

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

i like applewhite more than i like most of you so i will blindly trust whatever it is he has to say

Let me tell you about this comet...

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Applewhite posted:

The rabbit hole goes even deeper: imagine the weirdo who investigated the credentials of the weirdo who discredited Yud.

Imagine the weirdo who knew all of this

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hasn't he been looking for a dominatrix for years on okcupid

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Did you know he wrote his 950,000 word Harry Potter fanfic without reading any of the books or watching the films? All his Harry Potter info was collected second-hand.

hahaha. This is proof enough that we're living in some kind of hilarious simulation

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Imagine the weirdo who knew all of this

Imagine the jerk who casually disses the op like this unironically.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

What's the connection between these dark enlightenment/neoreactionary nutjobs and the alt right? I feel like there has to be something.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

I figured he was dissing Jeffrey of YOSPOS because he was the one who knew it, not me.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Greg Egan wrote a pretty decent novel that mocked the poo poo out of MIRI types

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

notZaar posted:

that would take a lot of imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Oh Hell No posted:

Greg Egan wrote a pretty decent novel that mocked the poo poo out of MIRI types