Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

mentholmoose posted:

I agree with this. And for what it's worth I'm re-upping in both LSL and HHL (Use the Schwartz! and Sixteen Yandles respectively).

I'm also considering keepers in HHL as well.

Sure locks are:

Vlad Tarasenko: $36 -> $44 (last year of eligibility)
Mark Stone: $2 -> $3 (last year of eligibility)

I'm not sure how I want to go from there. A couple of the options I have at the moment:

Anthony Duclair: $1 -> $2 (first year)
Jonathan Drouin: $1 -> $2 (first year)
Brad Marchand: $21 -> $26 (first year)
Ryan O'Reilly: $42 -> $51 (first year)
Sami Vatanen: $2 -> $3 (last year)
Matt Duchene: $45 -> $54 (first year)
Jonathan Huberdeau: $30 -> $36 (first year)
Kyle Palmieri: $1 -> $2 (first year)

I'm thinking O'Reilly and one of Duclair, Drouin, or Marchand.

I'd probably try and take both Duclair and Drouin, but Marchand and O'Reilly are steals. If I had to rank them, it'd go Marchand, Drouin, Duclair, and O'Reilly.

I am currently trying to decide who I want to keep.

Barkov: $21 -> $25 (drafted 2015)
Domi: $7 -> $8 (drafted 2015)
Barrie: $24 -> $29 (drafted 2014)
Wheeler: $40 -> $48 (drafted 2013)
Nylander: $1 -> $2 (drafted 2015)
Sam Reinhart: $1 -> $2 (drafted 2015)
Vasilevskly: $5 -> $6 (drafted 2015)

I am thinking of taking Barkov, Domi, Vasilevskly, and maybe Reinhart. It's gonna be hard to pass on Barrie, Wheeler, and Nylander, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I'll fully admit, I don't watch Jets games, so seeing that Sheifele scored 29 goals and 61 points in 71 games is a surprise to me. An even bigger surprise is that the Hockey News has him pegged for an even bigger season. Who do I trust??

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

bewbies posted:

Drafted this team in 12 team H2H points BIG MONEY league. I'm pretty pleased with how this went...got Seguin at 7. Has a bonus for D scoring (especially goals).

Any ideas on moves to make? A guy offered me Stastny and Hudler for Zetterberg.....

C Claude Giroux C | PHI
C Ryan Johansen C | NSH
C Tyler Seguin C | DAL øÀ
W Taylor Hall W |
W T.J. Oshie W | WAS
W Ondrej Palat W | TB
D T.J. Brodie D | CGY
D Matt Niskanen D | WAS
D P.K. Subban D | NSH øÀ
D Shea Weber D | MON
øæ
W Alexander Radulov W | MONøæ
W Henrik Zetterberg W | DET øæ
D Jacob Trouba D | WPG

G Steve Mason G | PHI Home: 0
G Pekka Rinne G | NSH Home: 1 (CHI)
G Cory Schneider G | NJ Home: 0

I think you have a perfectly cromulent team, and I'd be hesitant to make any moves right now. Then again, I am not super stoked on any of the three guys in that trade.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am currently trying to decide who I want to keep.

Barkov: $21 -> $25 (drafted 2015)
Domi: $7 -> $8 (drafted 2015)
Barrie: $24 -> $29 (drafted 2014)
Wheeler: $40 -> $48 (drafted 2013)
Nylander: $1 -> $2 (drafted 2015)
Sam Reinhart: $1 -> $2 (drafted 2015)
Vasilevskly: $5 -> $6 (drafted 2015)

I am thinking of taking Barkov, Domi, Vasilevskly, and maybe Reinhart. It's gonna be hard to pass on Barrie, Wheeler, and Nylander, though.

Any suggestions? The only no brainers are Barkov and Domi. Wheeler is a sure thing, but both Reinhart and Nylander have a chance at making an impact (as in, they could be on Domi's level). Barrie is probably the person I need the least, as good of a price as he is. Vasilevskly could be a cheap goalie keeper, but I am unsure what the deal is with him and Bishop.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think this is Wheeler's last year of eligibility. I thought it was four years? It's kind of hard to give up on a guy who could easily put up a 25G/70P season for so cheap, even if it does come at the expense of a cheap keeper like Reinhart or Nylander.

Yeah, Barrie is the most expendable, even though he is a possible top-10 defensive scorer.

The only reason why I am thinking about Vasilevsky is because of how difficult it is to come by cheap goalies. I have spent too many years trying not to spend much on goalies, and ending up with loving Pavelec.

I also have Sam Bennett, but I feel like Reinhart and Nylander are just one tier above him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

toe knee hand posted:

Yea, cheap keeper goalies are nice. I'm super stoked about John Gibson. Maybe things'll be clearer about Tampa's goalieing before our draft.

Everyone keeps saying that Tampa will be trading Bishop at some point, but who knows? It would just suck to have a keeper who only plays 1/3 of the games at the expense of a bright young gun tearing it up.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am in a league where you select one player from five, and stick with them for the whole year. However, the scoring is a bit weird. You get 2 points for a goal (1 point for an assist), then an additional point for a PP goal, 2 additional points for a SH goal, an additional point for a shootout winner, an additional point for a game winning goal and then 3 additional points for a hat trick. In the past, I haven't had much issue picking players, but it seems like the dude running the league has finally wised up, and made some really difficult categories. I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this category.

Henrik Sedin, Marchand, Neal, Marleau, or Galchenyuk

I am leaning towards Galchenyuk, but Marchand is tempting. I am just wondering if my love for Galchenyuk is overshadowing my hatred for Marchand. Marchand's shot totals went up, and he's seeing more ice time, but I don't know if I see him scoring 37 again. Whereas, Galchenyuk is still a young dude, and I think could see his totals rise slightly from last year. He really turned it on in the second half.

I'll be back in this thread to bug you about other selections.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I have been talking myself out of Marchand because I hate his little weasel face. But it appears like it's the 'safe' bet, even though I love Galchenyuk. For what it's worth, The Hockey News is predicting a 33 goal and 64 point season from Galchenyuk, and a 32 goal and 52 point season from Marchand. I think those totals are a little high for Galchenyuk, and a little low for Marchand.

Also, since you have been such a help, I have been stumped with Rielly Smith, Krejci, Ladd, Radulov, and Schenn. Again, I think the 'safe' bet is Ladd, especially since he'll probably be playing with Tavares. But it's hard not to look at Schenn's second half and wonder if he's finally put it together. I have just been burned by Schenn so many times in the past.

My other two I am wondering about are Ryan, Hornqvist, Trocheck, Little, or Plekanec (either Hornqvist or Trocheck), and Duclair, Bennett, Draisaitl, Fabbri, or Reinhart (really, any one of them. I can't decide).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The only thing that matters is the points. Nothing else counts. Krejci is more of a playmaker, and since goals are so heavily valued, I was thinking one of Ladd or Schenn may put up more points. However, if Krejci can put up a 65-70 point season, that may be enough to beat out the other two.

But yeah, I am leaning towards Trocheck. As for the young guns, I feel like closing my eyes and throwing a dart at one of them. Everytime I think I have my selection, I start looking at the list again and start the process all over again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I don't think it's unreasonable either, which is why it's been a difficult decision. Trocheck is a very good young player, but I don't know much about him. To me, it appeared out of nowhere. But that upside, playing with a very good core in Florida is hard to pass.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am looking at ESPN's Fantasy Hockey Rankings and they're, uh, interesting. I am not sure if they're advocating for taking goalies in the first round, but they have 4 in the top-10 (Holtby, Price, Jones, and Quick).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's a fairly even deal, the more I think about it, but I'd probably pass. I am just not sure what to expect from Ladd this year. However, I have also been burned in the past by Duchene, in the sense that I have expected more like his near-PPG pace, rather than the player he has been the past two seasons.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My friend in HHL is in a pickle. He picked up Sidney Crosby after Veskit dropped him on April 6th, which was well into the championship game. He picked him up for $56, which would mean his cost $67. Now, a few people complained when it happened, because my buddy picked up one of the best players in the league for a fraction of his actual price, and some people thought he should be ineligible to be kept this upcoming season. However, I think he should be able to keep him for a few reasons:

1. There has never been a rule in place saying this wasn't allowed.
2. People only complained because we are talking about Sidney Crosby and not, say, Matt Moulson.
3. Everyone had an equal shot at Crosby. My friend won with the highest bid.

Ultimately, I guess it comes down to T-Bone's decision. But, I think he should be able to keep Crosby.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

There should be a "can't cut" list for this reason if people have an issue.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

2 Open Spots in the HHL. Draft is next Monday. I have everyone's keepers but Veskit's who said he would be playing earlier in the thread so saving his spot for now.

You don't have to, but you can keep 4 guys.

My keepers (The Maltese Faulkons)
Barkov (21 -> 26)
Domi (7 -> 9)
Nylander (1 -> 2)
Vasilevsky (5 -> 6)

My friend's (Adam Larsons Project)
Kane (100 -> 120)
Galchenyuk (35 -> 42)
Schenn (10 -> 12)
Allen (21 -> 26)

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 3, 2016

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Not to beat a dead horse (I am), but would anyone have thought differently if mentholmoose tried to keep Duchene this year? Similar situation, in that T-Bone dropped him (I believe) before the championship round, only he was picked up for a reasonable price. No one seemed to mind at the time, or notice when moose thought about keeping him earlier in the thread. I am only bringing it up now because I just noticed. I also realize it's a moot point, but I am just interested to see other people's thoughts.

Maybe we should add a can't cut list for the playoffs, or something, just to avoid people dropping their star players who may be cold for hot players.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Was Duchene on waivers more than once? I checked the old fantasy hockey thread and the discussion about him getting picked up was in November, which is obviously fair game, albeit a stupid move by the original owner.

Even if Duchene had been dropped during the playoffs, that's still in-season. The Crosby pickup was after the season was technically over.

Duchene was dropped again on March 27th, and picked up for $45 on March 30th.

But, yes, I can see the point in that the league ended on April 3rd, and Crosby was picked up on April 6th. I also like the ability to see people's failed bids. Seems like after dropping him, Veskit tried picking him up again for $1.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

We also spoke last year about being able to trade future cap space, is anyone interested in doing this? I'd probably cap it at $50.

Other possible changes to keepers: 4 years instead of 3? Trading a player in his last year of eligibility grants him 1 year of eligibility to the new team?

I am not sure I like the future cap space idea, mostly because I am an idiot.

I like keeping players for 4 years. For some reason, I thought that was what we already had. As for the 1 extra year rule, I think it's fine the way it is. I like the idea of being a team of trading for the future for the now. Maybe that's just me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I've narrowed my choices down to these guys but I'm still pretty undecided

I'm thinking Kulikov, but I'm not particularly confident in that answer.

drizzle posted:

Hey hockey thread, I'm doing a 10 team league with some friends this year and was wondering how much starting two goalies affects drafting. Is it like a 2QB league for football where they should be the first players off the board? I'm picking 2nd in the snake draft and am wondering if I should grab a goalie first.

It depends on the persons' drafting strategy. A goalie isn't as important in a two goalie league as a quarterback in a 2QB league, but you'd probably want to start looking at one in the 4th or 5th round (although in a 10-team league, you may be able to get away with drafting them slightly later). If you're drafting 2nd, you should only be focusing on a top forward.

I should mention that I'm not one to draft goalies super early, but I'd let people draft Holtby and Price early, and focusing shoring up your offense.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Well, we'll have to see:

The Creator
1. (15) Auston Matthews (Tor - C)

Whoa! gusty move.

My team in the HHL

1. (9) Jamie Benn (Dal - LW) $126
2. (28) Joe Thornton (SJ - C) $54
3. (35) Dustin Byfuglien (Wpg - D) $78
4. (37) Roberto Luongo (Fla - G) $75
5. (76) Max Pacioretty (Mon - LW) $51
6. (94) Nazem Kadri (Tor - C) $11
7. (99) Mats Zuccarello (NYR - RW) $10
8. (107) Alex Pietrangelo (StL - D) $12
9. (112) James van Riemsdyk (Tor - LW) $8
10. (121) Gustav Nyquist (Det - LW,RW) $4
11. (129) Anton Stralman (TB - D) $5
12. (132) Robin Lehner (Buf - G) $2
13. (134) Erik Johnson (Col - D) $4
14. (147) Noah Hanifin (Car - D) $5
15. (206) Andrei Vasilevskiy (K) (TB - G) $6
16. (207) William Nylander (K) (Tor - C,RW) $2
17. (208) Max Domi (K) (Ari - LW) $9
18. (209) Aleksander Barkov (K) (Fla - C) $26
Unused $12

My draft strategy got thrown out the window by accidentally drafting Buff. I know he's awesome, but I don't like taking defense for that price. I like the look of my team, but I feel that I am missing one impact forward. Who knows? Time will tell.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

You picked some nice, cheap defenseman at the end there.

You're also greatly helped by having two great forwards for such a good price.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I joined a 6-team league, and I feel like I have to post my team for laughs. For some reason, it counts faceoff losses, which is why I drafted Bergeron so high.

1. (6) Vladimir Tarasenko RW
2. (7) John Tavares C
3. (18) P.K. Subban D
4. (19) Patrice Bergeron C
5. (30) Max Pacioretty LW
6. (31) Filip Forsberg LW
7. (42) Taylor Hall LW
8. (43) Nathan MacKinnon C,RW
9. (54) Jake Allen G
10. (55) John Klingberg D
11. (66) Mark Scheifele C
12. (67) Roberto Luongo G
13. (78) Auston Matthews C
14. (79) Devan Dubnyk G
15. (90) Rasmus Ristolainen D
16. (91) Jake Muzzin D

The waiver wire is littered with Johansen, Duchene, Schenn, Galchenyuk, and other great players.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am playing in a wacky league the counts shooting percentage and faceoff losses. Scheifele is only the 19th-ranked player in the league. The top-3? Laine, Anisimov, and Voracek.

I also thought it meant that you wanted MORE faceoff losses, so I drafted Bergeron super early, and grabbed MacKinnon because he has C/RW eligibility. How wrong I was.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am in a league that asks you to select one player from a selection of five and keep those players for the entire season. I had some difficulty with some of my choices, so I figured I'd come back to the thread and report how the picks are doing (I am also putting off doing actual work). Also, goals are heavily weighted. I am also currently in 17th place :(

Twin Cinema posted:

Henrik Sedin, Marchand, Neal, Marleau, or Galchenyuk

I was leaning on either one of Galchenyuk or Marchand. Jamwad convinced me to take Marchand. Galchenyuk is leading this group with 36 points, but Marchand has 29. So far, not a bad pick.

Twin Cinema posted:

Also, since you have been such a help, I have been stumped with Rielly Smith, Krejci, Ladd, Radulov, and Schenn. Again, I think the 'safe' bet is Ladd, especially since he'll probably be playing with Tavares. But it's hard not to look at Schenn's second half and wonder if he's finally put it together. I have just been burned by Schenn so many times in the past.

So far, my pick of Schenn has paid off. While Radulov is leading the group with 23 points, Schenn has 20. I successfully avoided the disaster that is Ladd (although a lot of teams at the top picked Ladd).

Twin Cinema posted:

My other two I am wondering about are Ryan, Hornqvist, Trocheck, Little, or Plekanec (either Hornqvist or Trocheck)

I went with Trocheck. So far, a good pick.

Twin Cinema posted:

Duclair, Bennett, Draisaitl, Fabbri, or Reinhart (really, any one of them. I can't decide).

My gut was telling me Draisaitl, but I went with Duclair. So far, a disastrous pick. If I went with my gut, I would be in 15th instead of 17th!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

For what it's worth, Skinner has been (mostly) healthy the past three seasons. He's played over 70 games in each of them, even playing every game last season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

In HHL, I have too many players on the IR. Why am I still using an IR spot on Erik loving Johnson?

At least Jamie Benn is back.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Duclair, Bennett, Draisaitl, Fabbri, or Reinhart (really, any one of them. I can't decide).

I picked Duclair :(

Fabbri has 46 points (in our scoring system which rewards goals), Draisaitl has 70 points, Reinhart has 46 points, and Bennett has 29 points.

Duclair has 14 points and is in the AHL.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Huberdeau is a PPG player this year, so he's #1.

But seriously, I am not sure. Both guys are great. Toffoli is coming off a great year (30+ goals, and 58 points), but isn't on pace to replicate those numbers. Huberdeau has back-to-back 50+ point seasons, but doesn't give you the same goal scoring ability as Toffoli. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either, whether it's this year or for the future. Personally, I really like Huberdeau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am in a league where you select one player from five, and stick with them for the whole year. However, the scoring is a bit weird. You get 2 points for a goal (1 point for an assist), then an additional point for a PP goal, 2 additional points for a SH goal, an additional point for a shootout winner, an additional point for a game winning goal and then 3 additional points for a hat trick. In the past, I haven't had much issue picking players, but it seems like the dude running the league has finally wised up, and made some really difficult categories. I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this category.

Well, I finished in 6th out of 53 teams in this league. That may sound impressive, but I was 170 points behind the leader. If I only I would have taken Draisaitl over Duclair, I would have finished in 3rd.

• Locked thread