Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

joke_explainer posted:

Not sure. Worth trying? If you can escape the quest. I remember doing Coldridge Valley as a night elf once.

The first half of the worgen starting area is a sealed off zone that's separate from everything else and only new worgen PCs can see it/go through it, I think. Similar to how Death knights have a zoned out starting zone. If Liz went through the first half he/she'd be able to leave the next part of the starting area, but not the STARTINH starting area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

Hmm. I like worgen enough to give this a shot. Voting is closed gently caress everyone I'm going worgen.

Munchables

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hmm. I like worgen enough to give this a shot. Voting is closed gently caress everyone I'm going worgen.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Not a fan?

Scaly Haylie

Lizard Wizard posted:

just kidding, a night elf are we

Macnult

worgen were introduced as a playable race with the cataclysm expansion, also known as the worst expansion.

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

Macnult posted:

worgen were introduced as a playable race with the cataclysm expansion, also known as the worst expansion.

yeah but so were goblins aka the joe pesci race

anyways you really missed being an orc monk named Orcdumpling (i did this)

Scaly Haylie

Macnult posted:

the new zones in cataclysm were by far the least important part, imo.

Ostentatious

i would say the "best class" always fluctuates with the patch

for instance, currently the best class for tanking is warrior, and the best class(es) for dps is druid and rogue according to late game simcharts

Scaly Haylie

Perfect! Our starting duds are, uh, a bit less good than what we were promised, but oh well.

quote:

After years of imprisonment within the Emerald Nightmare, Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage has finally returned to the mortal world. Re-united with his love, Tyrande Whisperwind, Malfurion endeavors now to heal the corrupted World Tree, Teldrassil, and rejuvenate the spirit of the night elf people. Yet as the Cataclysm shakes the bowels of their colossal tree, the night elves brace themselves against the coming storm. As war and destruction close in from all sides, it falls to night elves like you to stand strong and protect the enduring legacy of your people.

Whole lot of exposition, but there are two things you should take away from the game's little blurb:
  • Our home got corrupted somehow. We are going to see corruption come up a lot in this game in various forms.

• The Cataclysm happened. This was a series of natural disasters that changed the face of Azeroth, but more importantly this was the in-world justification for overhauling a bunch of the old areas, replacing the lovely 2004 content with shiny new 2010 content.

Immediately we are tasked with culling some wildlife. There's a lot to take in on this screen, so let me break it down.

In the upper left is our health and mana. Directly to the right of that is the health and mana of whatever we're targeting, which is Ilthalane since we got a quest from him.

This is a...quest window, I think it's called? Dialog and a concise description of whatever busywork you need to do goes here, basically. There's also a chat log directly below it, which doubles as a gameplay log of sorts.

You may have noticed that Ilthalane as well as those two elves in the background have green names. This means they're friendly. We can't attack friendly NPCs or creatures and they're generally cool with us.

In the upper right are the minimap and quest tracker. The quest tracker is fairly self-explanatory, but note the glowing outline on our minimap. This indicates the general area where we can find what we need for our quest - in this case, things to kill.

Finally, at the bottom is our action bar. The 1-0 keys on your keyboard do the things on this, as may be apparent. On the far, far right of this bar is our inventory. The stuff inbetween the action bar and our inventory doesn't matter for right now.

You may notice a bunch of empty slots above our action bar. Those don't matter yet either.

We use our only ability at the moment, Cat Form, which does exactly what you'd think.

Being a cat not only changes our ability set, but the color of our mana bar?! Well, no, it's an energy bar now. Energy regenerates steadily back to the maximum of 100, and we spend it to use abilities like Shred.

Combo points we don't have to worry about yet.

Anyway, we do the thing....

...and I switch to a different capture method, not realizing it's downscaling and kind of fucks things up. But we claim our reward! Quests give out money, a good chunk of XP and sometimes shiny new gear. And that's our first quest!

:toot:

Sorry this was so short, but I wanted to get something up before work to show my commitment. More later!

Business Gorillas

Youd think a druid would be a little more concerned with the senseless killing of wildlife and the untold ramifications on the food pyramid

Business Gorillas

That questgiver is obviously in the pocket of Big Deer wake up sheeple

Munchables

Business Gorillas posted:

Youd think a druid would be a little more concerned with the senseless killing of wildlife and the untold ramifications on the food pyramid

iirc the quest is about maintaining balance in the ecosystem because there are too many kitties.

Scaly Haylie

Munchables is right. I used the term culling for a reason :eng101:

Business Gorillas

Munchables posted:

iirc the quest is about maintaining balance in the ecosystem because there are too many kitties.

Anyone check out this guys bank account to see if he's deposited any salt licks lately? This post reeks of the Big Deer agenda to wipe out all predator cats

Android Blues

employing a man who can turn into a cat (a "double agent" if you will) in order to kill real cats is clear commentary on the FBIs funding of agitators and agents provocateurs within protest movements in order to destabilise legitimate grievance. we need to go off the grid and start living in a cave. can you get levels from doing that

Android Blues

if not, do it anyway. i refuse to let our purple elf man be complicit in the neocolonialist system hes already eagerly turning his hand to. first cats, tomorrow disenfranchised migrants fleeing oppression, or goblins, or different colours of elf man maybe (blue? sable?) - the wheel can turn no more

Android Blues

select the "Record with Video Camera" emblem from your book of spells, drag it to your task bar, and use it on the neoliberal stooge who tasked you with cat destruction until he gets annoyed, (maybe revealing his lizard self?) - remind him that you are a free elf on the land and cannot be bound by nature's laws

Ostentatious

I N V E S T I G A T E

C A T

C U L L I N G

Scaly Haylie

With an entire level under my belt, I am tasked with killing these weird little demon things and rooting through their pockets for a terribly evil moss, a possible clue to what's causing the corruption.

I recover a friend's bags, pilfered by the demons.

After killing each demon, I paw through their body for anything I might be able to sell.

For my trouble, the elf lets me have one of his bags. More inventory space is welcome indeed.

I then go about gathering lilies for an antidote while I fail to realize that the tweak I made to recording settings has made things yet worse. Still, with the speed bonus from my cat form this is easily done.

At level 3, I gain another move. I now have a very basic combat strategy: build momentum using Shred, then use Ferocious Bite for massive damage.

While carrying out the grim task of putting down corrupted spiders, creatures beyond help, I share a moment of moral crisis with my comrade-in-arms.

Here my recollection dims. Pehraps I fell into a fugue state and adventured for about an hour. When I come to, I had reached the eighth echelon of power, knowing how to rip flesh, make my enemies bleed for damage over time. Additionally, prowling unseen in my cat form is now second nature.

I hone my cooking skills. Good food will invigorate me.

Incredibly, I received a letter from someone claiming to be a friend. Spacious, luxuriant bags for the keeping of my belonings, and more gold than I've ever seen in my life!

I do more for Teldrassil.

Before too long, I swell with power again.

My bear form awakens. In this form I am sturdier, and can call down searing moonlight to burn my foes...yet it lacks the ferocity and grace of my cat form, to be sure.

Suddenly, I am aware of possibilities. Different ways to grow.

I can become truly feral, continuing to rip and tear, and do good from the shadows.

I can look to the sky and the balance of the cosmos, drawing power from the sun, moon and stars to destroy enemies from afar.

I can take on the aspect of the bear, granting strength and fury to act as a guardian for anything and anyone I believe in.

I chuckle at the notion of committing myself to restoration; many druids have died that way, and I will not make the same mistake. Still, I may want to offer healing to adventuring parties in need from time to time.

None of these choices would be permanent, of course. To me, The Day Elf, it is simplicity itself to look inward and change my own path. One thing is certain, however: I must leave Teldrassil Isle.

Darnassus has been a fine city to live in, but...I grow restless here. I must go abroad and "find myself", as the youths say. My legs carry me to the docks. I board a ship.

Bells chime, indicating we have arrived at Stormwind. I stir from my meditation, fully committed to...

• ...the way of the feral druid.
  • ...the way of the balance druid.
  • ...the way of the guardian druid.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 24, 2016

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I vote for feral

Thank you for helping me relive the nostalgia of half of my sophomore year after which I got grounded from WoW because I spent all winter break playing it instead of doing a huge project due the Tuesday after we got back.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

be a bear sheriff. I tried to find bear sheriff fanart but there's nothing

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Scaly Haylie

I Was The Fury posted:

I vote for feral

Thank you for helping me relive the nostalgia of half of my sophomore year after which I got grounded from WoW because I spent all winter break playing it instead of doing a huge project due the Tuesday after we got back.

Neat. When was this?

Chill la Chill posted:

be a bear sheriff. I tried to find bear sheriff fanart but there's nothing

be the change you want to see in the world

Macnult

I vote feral

Ostentatious

feral is currently the best dps spec in the game

problematic hug

full healr spec :twisted:

Scaly Haylie

problematic hug posted:

I mean, you can throw your vote away if you want.

problematic hug

idk, chuck. the comedy option is always an option. looks like feral is going to win anyway, gl to you on your skinwalkeresque endeavour

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

problematic hug posted:

Scaly Haylie

problematic hug posted:

idk, chuck. the comedy option is always an option. looks like feral is going to win anyway, gl to you on your skinwalkeresque endeavour

the main problem with healer leveling is that every update would be "well i ran a dungeon again, see you tomorrow"

problematic hug

(i was just kidding wrt healer, have fun)

Scaly Haylie

no worries! i was just trying to shed some light on why we probably won't go healer for people who don't know vidjagames.

i'm sure we'll dip into all the specs at some point, just to highlight them.

Munchables

I vote balance because I heard the word "boomkin" a few times and don't know any better.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neat. When was this?

The second half of 2007. I've tried picking it back up once or twice now that I'm an adult but it just doesn't have the same draw that it did back then

Dilbert Fanclub President

by Reene
fool me 15 times...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

You guys are missing out on the great opportunity for bear sheriff shenanigans. imagine the "we bare bears" playing world of warcraft

I Was The Fury posted:

The second half of 2007. I've tried picking it back up once or twice now that I'm an adult but it just doesn't have the same draw that it did back then

I only ever played with my high school friends and can't imagine picking it back up so maybe that's why?

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Business Gorillas

Coulda been a bear and named him treasure smh

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Coulda been a bear and named him treasure smh

also im sad you didnt pick worgen for maximum shapeshifts

Scaly Haylie