Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takane

by FactsAreUseless
Bear uses agility now yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

Takane posted:

Bear uses agility now yup

:supaburn:

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
it's not exactly a new feature either

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

You guys are out of the loop if you don't think bears have agility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9HgQPmhTw

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Scaly Haylie

Ahundredbux posted:

it's not exactly a new feature either

Well, color me surprised. I thought all tanks (except monks) used strength.

How old is this not-exactly-new feature, though, out of curiosity?

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, color me surprised. I thought all tanks (except monks) used strength.

How old is this not-exactly-new feature, though, out of curiosity?

I'm not 100% sure but the gearing (aside from gems and enchants and stuff) has probably been shared since BC or WoTLK?

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
The change was in cata I believe, also I don't know if strength leather exists any more

Scaly Haylie

RIP strong leather bears

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
they're either enduring leather bears or masterful leather bears now

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

4 strength 4 stam leather bear

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Munchables posted:

4 strength 4 stam leather bear

Scaly Haylie

Today...

we tank.

This talent is probably suboptimal, but I picked it so that I wouldn't have to worry about another button to press. :effort:

In any case, wearing our tanking bear spec it's just a few short seconds before I'm thrust into Shadowfang Keep.

It's pretty spooky, and at this level my tanking toolbox is so small that I'm just pressing whatever's on cooldown to keep aggro.

End result: pauldrons. :hellyeah:

Also we found the stuff to make our fancy, leafy staff. :toot:

We then return to Duskwood to do stuff like help sad ghosts find peace,

calm down a newly-cursed werewolf,

gather ingredients for said werewolf's mood medications so he can be a functioning member of society,

investigate some necromancer he saw one time,

find out he's a lich now,

then kill with a holy artifact, destroying him and his entire undead army.

I then fly back to Stormwind so I can catch a train to Ironforge in order to learn new alchemy recipes because, as I have stated, I hate Stormwind's layout.

Next time: jungle zone.

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
brambles is actually a really good talent for dungeons.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Scaly Haylie

Takane posted:

brambles is actually a really good talent for dungeons.

:coffeepal:

Ofecks

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I seem to recall the oldest version of Morbent Fel (TBC and prior) to be a really long, involved quest chain that included a dungeon run to get things to make an item that deletes his shield (he's invulnerable with it up), and you still needed a group to kill him. Old WoW :allears:

e: also Mor'ladim, a red-level elite that wandered around the graveyard two-shotting unaware noobs

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 22, 2016

Scaly Haylie

Sunlight! Finally, sunlight! We get to leave the depressing zone! :dance:

Yes, we've entered Stranglethorn Vale, a jungly sort of area.

We are immediately told to do something about a broken crock pot.

Naturally this requires crystals.

We ALSO get a quest to get crocodilelisk leather for shoes

And of course, this being a jungle full of dangerous beasts, we get to hunt for sport. We are a terrible druid.

WE ARE A TERRIBLE DRUID

After a looooooooot of hunting we kill some goblins to get their crystals. These are the VERY bad capitalist goblins, you see, as opposed to the regular and acceptable ones.

Not gonna lie I kinda love this.

Shortly thereafter we go to kill some bad guy soldiers because they're being given mind control drugs in the guise of medicine probably???

HI LITTLE BUDDY :kimchi:

We hit level 30 and get to choose between a bit of mobility, a self-heal or the ability to teleport behind a nearby enemy to daze them briefly. I eventually settle on that last one.

Time to go kill some basilisks and get their blood for some lab work blood blood blood.

That's a good thing because it turns out our baby raptor is hungry for basilisk. Okay sure.

Then some goblin makes us get increasingly fancy crocodile skin to finish his boots. Now I want a sausage.

Scaly Haylie

Someone called in and I'm having to stay late until the manager can find a replacement.

Update was going to be tonight, but it may have to come after midnight or some time tomorrow. Please understand.

Scaly Haylie

Welcome back! Apparently they buffed druid travel speed in the new patch! If I can be brutally honest, Stranglethorn Vale is not very compelling. We killed progressively stronger animals and eventually got loot for it and also those evil human soldiers are evil.

To make up for the lack of interesting quests, here are some interesting things that I saw.

Our boy found a skull!

The sassiest world geometry I've ever met.

This purple stuff is neat. Is it flowers?

A bit of fishing with our boy as a Horde zeppelin passes by. I wish I had more screenshots, but it just goes to show that there wasn't much worth showing here. :shrug:

Post-questing outfit status: worse.

As tends to happen, and probably thanks to our dungeoneering earlier, we're starting to outlevel the quests in Stranglethorn Vale. And since it's boring anyway, it's time to go to a new area. Do we want to go to...

...the Southern Barrens, a dry savanna?

...Desolace, a wasteland?

...or The Hinterlands, a mountainous region?

Macnult

no world of warcraft leveling adventure is complete without a venture through the dreaded barrens. i vote southern barrens

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Macnult posted:

no world of warcraft leveling adventure is complete without a venture through the dreaded barrens. i vote southern barrens

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
wow I did not remember travel form was a cool stag!!

I think you can get a glyph that lets a party member ride on your back too!

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 28, 2016

Scaly Haylie

Macnult posted:

The Southern Barrens are located in Durotar, the western continent of Azeroth. It largely belongs to the Horde.

To get there, we must travel by boat from Stormwind...

...and then traverse Night Elf territory, heading south.

We then cut through the Northern Barrens...

...and arrive in the Southern Barrens, where apparently the Horde is giving us some trouble!

Killin' Horde troops and recovering supplies is the order of the day.

A tauren! These are buffalo native american stereotypes that number among the Horde.

After mopping some of those bad dudes up, some gnome wants us to hop in her flying machine so we can survey the damage done by the Cataclysm.

Neat.

:monocle:

I am so loving ready for this geographical diversity.

Unfortunately, the mystery of the changing Barrens will have to wait, as an Alliance hold is being attacked!

We go beat up the orc navy.

"Gosh Admiral, as fun as that sounds it's 4am and I have to try and get any sleep at all" -me, this morning

Scaly Haylie

Today's quests, if you can believe it, are actually kind of enjoyable.

First, we blow up some gatdam orc boats with a cannon.

Then we repel horde forces by making flak out of garbage,

give our boys some much-needed medical attention with special bandages from a worgen medic,

beat back invading orcs and trolls,

break their toys,

kill their leader,

and give the medic a reunion of sorts with his late brother. :smith:

What a nice bone. A shame it's for casting. We are then told to report to that jungle we saw earlier.

Things are definitely not okay here. :stare:

On the bright side, we're finally finding Goldthorn - just what we need for bigger and better potions!

Anyway, the Alliance corporal here thinks the jungle is the fault of local pigmen working their magic,

so of course we use it against them.

Corporal Teegan is not smart.

We then discover out the reason for the jungle - essentially, the Barrens used to be quite lush long ago, and this druid decided to bring underground water to the surface and imbue it with the power of the Emerald Dream, the plane of nature itself, in order to restore it to its former glory.

Some kind of corruption slipped through, though, so we have to cull these poor flamingoes as well as the native raptors, since they have gone rather evil and berserk.

We kill some walking plants to gather seeds from them in hopes of making a cure. One neat thing is that, as an herbalist, we get to loot the bodies of plant creatures twice!

We then test the cure.

sprinkle sprinkle

:confuoot:

Anyway, we kill some Swamp Things so the druid can study their corrupted hearts and he figures out that somehow the Emerald Nightmare leaked in. All I really know about the Nightmare is that it's a corrupt part of the Emerald Dream.

We fight the leak. All in all, we proved ourself to be a good druid and have earned some rest.

Unfortunately, the vest we got is for casting.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
transmog every weapon into that bone

Scaly Haylie

Ahundredbux posted:

transmog every weapon into that bone

it's an off-hand equip, so unfortunately that's not possible.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Lizard Wizard posted:

it's an off-hand equip, so unfortunately that's not possible.

good thing
there are
plenty of replicas

:getin:

Scaly Haylie

for the uninitiated, transmogging is making a piece of gear look like another piece of gear.

Scaly Haylie

Today we will once again supporting the Alliance forces against the Horde by doing a great many meaningful and noble tasks.

For example, capturing a molehill.

And slaying a local pigman champion to strike fear in the hearts of the other local pigmen.

Harvesting delicious, electrically charged quasi-dinosaur meat to feed our troops.

Arresting soldiers who have decided to go about looting, which...okay, there's a bit of a story here. General Hawthorne led an attack against this tauren village but left a gap in his soldiers' attack formation so that civilians could escape, because he wants this war to be over some day and maybe slaughtering innocents isn't the way to do that.

We also collect various Horde intel while we're there because hey, we ARE at war.

Anyway, I find it both cool and good that there exists a character who feels this way and that the writers are willing to give his viewpoint a major part in the-

:smith:

Okay World of Warcraft, that was actually a pretty good goof.

We proceed to help out by killing some silithids, which are bugs but like...worse??? Can we get a WoW lore expert in here to tell me about silithids?

After that, surprise surprise, we go out to kill some more orcs and poo poo, but also while gathering up parts of exploded siege engines so the local fort's inventor-type person can tinker with 'em.

Notably, we reach level 38 and get increased speed for our travel form. This is mostly because you get more mount speed across the board at level 40 and Blizzard doesn't want to shortchange druids in that regard.

There were some other steps in the quest where we got gunpowder and electrospleens for her but *fart noise*

I want one.

We're sent off to the next questing hub and whoops! I'm all out of vials, so that's all the LP* for today.

*liquid potions

Ofecks

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Lizard Wizard posted:

We proceed to help out by killing some silithids, which are bugs but like...worse??? Can we get a WoW lore expert in here to tell me about silithids?

*inhales*

The tldr of them is - normally docile Kalimdor bugs driven mad by Whispers of Old God.

In vanilla, if you quested on that continent, you first heard about them in your late teens/early 20's in the Southern Barrens, and there's a hive of them in every subsequent zone south of there. Each has a quest or two to do and you learn more about them. All the quests culminate in Silithus, a 55-60 zone, and the location of Ahn'Qiraj, the penultimate raid of the base game whose last boss is actually that aformentioned Old God. While in the raid zone, he whispers stuff to you. It's really cool.

The entire affair was a legit Big loving Deal at the time, since before patch 1.9, Silithus was almost entirely empty and useless. They added towns, NPCs, mobs, quests, world PvP objectives, everything. The place came alive. However, the raids (there's also a smaller 20-man) didn't open until a server-wide war effort questline was completed. Players needed to farm various materials out in the world and turn them in stacks at a time. Once those quotas were met by both factions, your guild could start a long and involved 40-man Raid questline to assemble an item that unlocked the AQ gates. Only one player per server could finish the last quest and be rewarded with the game's only legendary mount and the first available non-PvP title - Scarab Lord. The turning-in event drew the entire server population to the gates in Silithus, and that went as well as you'd expect. Twitch-style chat spam, single-digit FPS, insane latency (abilities were impossible to cast), constant world server crashes. I was there for mine (Shattered Hand NA), it made my computer sob like a child, but the concept was cool and I enjoyed it. Blizzard never did anything like this again, for good reason.

It also should be noted that the smaller raid (known as "AQ20") was required to run by everyone, since it dropped spell rank books, which were huge massive upgrades, better than any purple piece of gear. Also, the last boss in big raid "AQ40", Old God C'Thun, was literally mathematically impossible at launch and had to be nerfed so people could kill him. :v:

*exhales* im sorry byob

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 6, 2016

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Tomorrow I am entering the Mythical Vagina Monster... Aka. Eye of Il'gynoth Mythic... Wish me luck.

<3 <3 Vanisher

Jenner
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
World for War craft lore post incoming!

I quit playing WoW during Cataclysm because it was bad. Blizzard has a habit of retconning poo poo and generally being terrible writers. As such, things may have changed from what I know.

But AFAIK it goes like this: The planet of Azeroth existed and the Old Gods were on it. They got along and disagreed as all living things are wont to do. Each Old God made their own semi-intelligent bug people to serve them, pursue their agendas, and fight their enemies. The Silithid are/were the Old God C'thun's bug people. There, I just explained the Silithid.

A bunch more stuff happens but we'll get to it when we get to it.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 9, 2016

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
lore:
im the best druid, my claws are the sharpest

Scaly Haylie

Jenner posted:

World for War craft lore post incoming!

Dude I said "someone tell me about silithids", not "someone post the entire plot of the game".

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 9, 2016

Scaly Haylie

TODAY: some shamans who are worried about the state of the lands and thus have us harvest stuff from the upset earth elementals.

We also keep dealing with the pigmen and look into their mysterious idol worship. It leads to a dungeon which I'm not gonna do, so here's how it broke down:

One of their clerics is trying to use their demigod to motivate the pigmen into starting a war. On a side note, I like how this is a gathering of all five races that can be shamans coming together despite their faction differences but not pandaren because those weren't playable yet

We also knock this guy down.

Then we go to an archaeological digsite and help get this guy's stuff, as well as fighting off some Horde guys because of course we do.

Then it's time to deliver those artifacts on a nice little plane ride where-

:stonk:

Aw geez.

:smith:

It was goblins! By which I mean it was the Horde because of course it was.

So we have ourselves some vengeance.

Some BIG vengeance.

Satisfied, Twinbraid's grieving father sends us off to Dustwallow Marsh...

...and gives us our first helmet! :toot:

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I'm back in this dumb game and I'm also playing my old druid I hope you're happy with yourself LW!!!

Scaly Haylie

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm back in this dumb game and I'm also playing my old druid I hope you're happy with yourself LW!!!

:toot:

Scaly Haylie

Now, I know I said we were going to Dustwallow Marsh today, but the Darkmoon Faire's upon us again...

...and as a result, so are those crafting quests we did before. And we're on the back end of level 39, so...

:getin:

I also decide I'm a bit bored with alchemy, and would rather have opportunities for exciting cosmetic stuff which Inscription apparently does now.

Inscription's an interesting one. You may recall that I stated it goes well with herbalism. However, note that none of these recipes call for herbs. What are we supposed to do?

We use milling! Milling is a secondary skill exclusive to inscription that involves crushing up five of the same herb and getting pigments out of it, which we can use to craft inks. It's a bit luck-of-the-draw, but it's something different.

And hey, we can still make buffs at least! :toot:

But now that we're level 40, it's that time again - time to give the thread a choice. Do we want to go to...

• ...Dustwallow Marsh, a boggy area that I have no idea what it is really? :shrug:
  • ...Thousand Needles, a once dry canyon that was flooded in the Cataclysm?
  • ...or the Eastern Plaguelands, which is troubled by the undead?

In any case, I'm gonna go do some catchup on my inscription!

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
1k needles is a very neat area I think you will enjoy it

Twenty Four

Voting Plaguelands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite

Ahundredbux posted:

1k needles is a very neat area I think you will enjoy it

• Locked thread