Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNdyp3T2Bc

Its been six months since the supervillains escaped from Indian Hill and things are not going well for Gotham. This season is supposed to have less out and out police work as Gordon still hasn't rejoined the GCPD and instead is working as a bounty hunter, hired to track down the escapees. Other things teased, more Court of Owls, the return of Bruce's doppelganger and more of Jerome's Joker cult. There was talk in between seasons of recasting Ivy Pepper and according to previews how it's going to be handled will be an ongoing thing. They aren't just changing out the actress and pretending nobody notices. Added to the cast this year is Jamie Chung as Valerie Vale and Benedict Samuel as Jervis Tetch (aka the Mad Hatter.) From commercials it looks like everybody is back, including BD Wong's Hugo Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

muscles like this? posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNdyp3T2Bc

Its been six months since the supervillains escaped from Indian Hill and things are not going well for Gotham. This season is supposed to have less out and out police work as Gordon still hasn't rejoined the GCPD and instead is working as a bounty hunter, hired to track down the escapees. Other things teased, more Court of Owls, the return of Bruce's doppelganger and more of Jerome's Joker cult. There was talk in between seasons of recasting Ivy Pepper and according to previews how it's going to be handled will be an ongoing thing. They aren't just changing out the actress and pretending nobody notices. Added to the cast this year is Jamie Chung as Valerie Vale and Benedict Samuel as Jervis Tetch (aka the Mad Hatter.) From commercials it looks like everybody is back, including BD Wong's Hugo Strange.

I just want Gordon to be Bruce's personal bounty hunter/bodyguard because whose going to say no to the enforcer for the richest guy in town.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poor Jim.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
This show is goddamn ridiculous but it's stupid fun and I love it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man Bat! I just thought he was fighting Bono.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My wife, a moment ago: "I like Ms Peabody."
My wife,just now: "it's my fault, I signed her death warrant. :cripes:"

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

There was talk in between seasons of recasting Ivy Pepper and according to previews how it's going to be handled will be an ongoing thing.

I wonder if they're going to have that guy make her older.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I literally watched two seasons the last few weeks so that I could watch this episode live.

I don't know what to think of tonight.

Part of it I think is that I don't particularly care for Fish and I'm not entirely convinced that Penguin will win this one.

I predict that who we think of as Bruce will get murdered by mask lady and her crew. Then we'll find out that the doppelgänger somehow is the real Bruce and he gets his memory back.

Was that supposed to be killer croc in the beginning?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Gotham Season 3: Bruce Wayne, Kidnapped... Again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love how people in Gotham inexplicably still use film so we can have a dramatic developing room scene of a shot they already showed us.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I love how people in Gotham inexplicably still use film so we can have a dramatic developing room scene of a shot they already showed us.

To be fair, ever since the beginning of the show, the show has demonstrated an eclectic mix of technology from different decades. The cars many folks are driving around are boxy 1980s models, and lots of cops still use flip phones, especially in the first season. Computer screens are huge CRTs. But the supercops have what appears to be modern body armor, and I'm not sure, but I think I've seen a smartphone or two lurking around.

So, it's not surprising that serious photographers still use film that they develop themselves.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This show is dumb and bad but I'm still going to watch it.

Extremely cheap interpretations of Killer Croc, Man-Bat, and maybe Talon all in the premier is a bit of a disappointment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tarlibone posted:

To be fair, ever since the beginning of the show, the show has demonstrated an eclectic mix of technology from different decades. The cars many folks are driving around are boxy 1980s models, and lots of cops still use flip phones, especially in the first season. Computer screens are huge CRTs. But the supercops have what appears to be modern body armor, and I'm not sure, but I think I've seen a smartphone or two lurking around.

So, it's not surprising that serious photographers still use film that they develop themselves.

It was the same in the Animated Series. You had all the bat-tech but also telegrams

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Sad about that Lee send-off. Think that means she's off the show this season, since Lucius took up the mantle at the GCPD?

Still, Jamie Chung is killing it as Valerie Vale. I don't know if I'm seeing sparks of contention between her and Gordon or if another romantic interest is coming into play.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like the guy who plays Lucius Fox; he's got the mannerisms and cadence of Young Morgan Freeman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Sad about that Lee send-off. Think that means she's off the show this season, since Lucius took up the mantle at the GCPD?

Still, Jamie Chung is killing it as Valerie Vale. I don't know if I'm seeing sparks of contention between her and Gordon or if another romantic interest is coming into play.

I'm not sure what they're doing with Lee. She only got written off in the first place last season because she really was pregnant so you'd think they would want to bring her back now that's all over with.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Proposition Joe posted:

Extremely cheap interpretations of Killer Croc, Man-Bat, and maybe Talon all in the premier is a bit of a disappointment.

This was annoying. I would rather they spent more budget on fewer supervillains rather than half-rear end the whole crew at once.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lol so they recast ivy as a much older actress, and to make it work they had some dude who touches you and makes you age to death just touch her a little? perfect

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

JakeP posted:

lol so they recast ivy as a much older actress, and to make it work they had some dude who touches you and makes you age to death just touch her a little? perfect

I've seen dumber ways of recasting characters. Hell, I've seen a dumber way of coming up with Poison Ivy. Ahem.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

tarlibone posted:

I've seen dumber ways of recasting characters. Hell, I've seen a dumber way of coming up with Poison Ivy. Ahem.

Batman and Robin was a bad movie but Uma was actually a great Ivy. :colbert:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JetsGuy posted:

Batman and Robin was a bad movie but Uma was actually a great Ivy. :colbert:

Batman and Robin owns. It's a guy taking a super serious nerd icon, throwing out everything nerds care about, and turning it into a gay love story. Which pissed off nerds, and is therefore great.

Edit: It also imagined Gotham city as a place where huge art deco statues hold up the highway system.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 21, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sector_corrector posted:

Batman and Robin owns. It's a guy taking a super serious nerd icon, throwing out everything nerds care about, and turning it into a gay love story. Which pissed off nerds, and is therefore great.

Edit: It also imagined Gotham city as a place where huge art deco statues hold up the highway system.

I confess a certain guilty pleasure for that movie. Because it's hokey as hell but in an endearing dumb way and is fun.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Ed and Oz continue to own any scene they are in.

by making Gordon a bounty hunter, they are only confirming how much dead weight he is.

Poor Bullock. :(

Poor Alfred :(

and honestly, it's kinda annoying they are swapping out the actor because young ivy is doing a fantastic job in any scene she is in.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

shades of eternity posted:

by making Gordon a bounty hunter, they are only confirming how much dead weight he is.

They've kinda broken his progression to chief of police by making him do so many bad things.

Like, he was supposed to be a paragon of justice in a city full of corrupt cops and any prequel Batman show should be showing how he's basically the best thing that Gotham has, but is still limited by rules and laws while the city gets more and more hosed.

Hell, the last season had the rise of supervillains, the perfect vehicle to show that while he's making (slow) progress in cleaning up the GCPD from the inside, the deck is ultimately stacked against him as he can't do dick about people with powers and an insane asylum with a revolving door of corruption.

Imagine, if we had that kind of Gotham we'd probably end up with some kind of powerful scene later in the show where he actually has to compromise his beliefs in order to allow Batman to do what needs to be done. Instead, Gordon is pretty much just Batman V0.1 just now.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the part where penguin stone cold killed that dude.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
"I… am Oswald Cobblepot"
"we all know who you are"
Cracked me up, it was so dismissive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kin posted:

They've kinda broken his progression to chief of police by making him do so many bad things.

People gotta let go of the idea of this being a Batman prequel and think of it more of an Elseworlds for the entire city of Gotham. I kinda don't even expect Jim to become Commissioner at this point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the biggest things about the show is that Jim simply cannot actually succeed in cleaning anything up or there wouldn't be the need for a Batman in the first place. So he basically has to fail.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

One of the biggest things about the show is that Jim simply cannot actually succeed in cleaning anything up or there wouldn't be the need for a Batman in the first place. So he basically has to fail.

You say that like "The Empire Strikes Back" isn't the best Star Wars film. That film's nothing but the heroes experiencing cascading failures.

(I don't think Gotham is anywhere near that film's quality, but the point stands in terms of the structure).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's a part of me almost expecting them to go No Man's Land with Gotham before the series ends. That seems like a big enough event to have the city sort of turn to Gordon after its over to reinstate him into the GCPD if he can come out of it both looking like a hero and if the GCPD is pretty much in shambles as a result.

The city's a half-broken wreck, there are monsters roaming the streets, most of the good people have abandoned it, and Gordon has the keys to the GCPD put in his hands because no one else wants to be in charge of the sinking ship.

Gordon eventually getting to a point where a Batman is running wild is just another day in Gotham and it's not like this nut is going to make the crumbling shambles of this city any worse.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 25, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think they've said but apparently Barbara and Tabitha's bar is called "Sirens."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oof, that's a bad bald cap on BD Wong. It wasn't great before but just in that scene you could clearly see the seam.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Gotham was not the most nonsensical thing on TV tonight.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This show seems to get progressively further from what I expected, it's still fun but god drat it why do GCPD always have to show up to a sting all

:siren::siren:WE'RE ON THE WAY BAD GUYS:siren::siren:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Fish Mooney the worst written and acted character in TV history? I swear I've never seen something to amateurish than her. Plus her henchmen see to be the kind of characters that you'd see in a bad 90s movie where they felt that cool was goth club wear.

God drat someone just put a bullet in her head.

I like how one of her goons is meth head Quicksilver.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 30, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twistedmentat posted:

Is Fish Mooney the worst written and acted character in TV history?

No, she's fantastic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the character herself better this year, despite not really liking Smith's portrayal of her. Revenge / survival is a more compelling goal than whatever she was doing in S1. I also love the 90s throwback nature of her minions. Especially since they're super gothy.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
So why did they recast Ivy to being much older than Bruce and Selina? I liked that little group of friends and how they'd each grow up to take a different path.

Is it me or is Ben McKenzie now playing Gordon like the Clayface doppelganger?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Fish was okay in the first season, even though her entire story ended up becoming completely disconnected from everything. I absolutely hated her stuff in the end of last season because it mainly consisted of "Fish gets her way for no reason." This season has been kind of whatever, hopefully the end of this week's episode means she's gone for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ShortLeroy posted:

So why did they recast Ivy to being much older than Bruce and Selina? I liked that little group of friends and how they'd each grow up to take a different path.

Because boobs

• Locked thread