Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

tarlibone posted:

I came here to post this.

I believe the writers, directors, and/or producers are loving with us. Earlier in the episode, right before the commercial break, there's a scene at the club where Penguin is holding Nigma's head and petting his hair, elated that he's still alive. It was framed like pretty much every single romantic rescue scene ever. I went back and paused it right at that moment, and my wife and I looked at each other--she said there'd be some gay memes tomorrow, and I agreed. But that scene by the fire? They definitely did that on purpose. I was convinced that Penguin was about to plant one right those tight, thin riddlelips.

Some serious sexual tension going on between the two there, just make them gently caress already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So who wants to bet that they're leveraging Alice's blood into Venom?

Also it's funny how David Mazouz keeps getting taller and taller (he's almost as tall as Donal Logue and definitely taller than Ben McKenzie.) By season 5 every scene with Bruce is just a torso and some legs because they can't get him into the shot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

spooky like this! posted:

Also it's funny how David Mazouz keeps getting taller and taller (he's almost as tall as Donal Logue and definitely taller than Ben McKenzie.) By season 5 every scene with Bruce is just a torso and some legs because they can't get him into the shot.

Ah yes, like Al in Police Squad! and at least the first Naked Gun movie.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

So who wants to bet that they're leveraging Alice's blood into Venom?

Does that make Michael Chiklis Bane?

(Also, he apparently took the part, way back in Season 2, with the understanding that he'd be doing this arc at some point. Which is both super cool, and more preparation than I thought Gotham would be engaging with.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Proto Bane at least. And glad they got through the clone Bruce quickly. That would not have been fun, but I'm sad that Mad Hatter has turned into the cliched villain "Oh no i was obsessed with someone who died through my fault but I'll blame the hero!" revenge story.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

(he's almost as tall as Donal Logue and definitely taller than Ben McKenzie.)

From what I could find, McKenzie's still got an inch on him (5'8" to Mazouz's 5'7"), but Mazouz is 15, so that's not gonna last long.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ed looked mad as gently caress when Lee slapped him, that expression was great.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I watched the episode and more than once, I turned to my boyfriend and said, "Are they really going for it? Am I reading too much into this?" I don't know how they'lll keep up the will they/won't they with Riddler and Penguin the entire season.

As an aside, I was very pleased to have Ivy, Riddler, Zsasz, Tigress, Penguin, and Catwoman all at the same club all at once. Just missing the Joker and Harley Quinn to make the entire crazy rogues gallery.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

JetsGuy posted:

But if she was truly brought back "due to popularity" that's just surprising to me. Because she's a bad character. I don't have Reddit rage about her or anything I just find her completely uninteresting.

I loved season 1, and just kinda liked the show by the end of season 2. I've tried to get into this season three times now, but keep giving up about 10 minutes in when Fish shows up with her wagging fingers and Flock of Seagulls doo. I really want to not hate the show, but it just won't give me another option.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HOLY poo poo, IT IS SUPER GAY!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

HOLY poo poo, IT IS SUPER GAY!

Oh please just let them shoot rainbows everywhere and don't do the clichéd thing.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
They really are teasing us about this will-they-won't-they thing with Penguin and Riddler, aren't they?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can see Riddler not reciprocating.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although I could see him faking it to try and get ahead.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Aaaaw.

Looks like you're right. Poor lil' Penguin wants a dude to help warm his eggs, but Riddler's going to crush on a chick that looks like the one he murdered the gently caress out of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know, that lady seems a little too perfect. Could be Ed is still bonkers insane.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Ed is going to fall hard for Not The Kringle, then Penguin finds out about it (and it's not like Ed has any reason to keep it a secret), then Penguin kills Not The Kringle, then Ed finds out and swears vengeance. But he doesn't let Penguin know that he knows, because secret revenge.

Thus begins the Penguin-Riddler rivalry that... uhm... was such a big deal in the comics?

Maybe I'm wrong. But mark my words, Not The Kringle is dead meat.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

I don't know, that lady seems a little too perfect. Could be Ed is still bonkers insane.

That was my first thought, too. Hallucinating his perfect woman as a way to wrestle with whether or not to go for this would be very in character.

Also, Tetch could have just hypnotized Jim into telling him who he loved and saved us all a half hour, but what can you do? Hatters gonna hat.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

My first thought about Not Kringle was they were going to introduce Query, but then she started speaking in riddles out of nowhere so my money's on a hallucination.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

tarlibone posted:

I wonder if Ed is going to fall hard for Not The Kringle, then Penguin finds out about it (and it's not like Ed has any reason to keep it a secret), then Penguin kills Not The Kringle, then Ed finds out and swears vengeance.
This was my exact first thought when I saw that scene.

I hope it's not what actually happens, because it's too predictable, but that's probably how this scenario is going to pan out.

Please let her be a figment of his imagination...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

McPhearson posted:

My first thought about Not Kringle was they were going to introduce Query, but then she started speaking in riddles out of nowhere so my money's on a hallucination.

I think it's a Butch power play

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

I think it's a Butch power play

How would he have been privy to Kringle, their relationship, and what went down?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon the new Kringle is going to be one of the Dr. Strange clones, with implanted memories. She's also going to be a complete nutcase, and she'll create some situation that requires Penguin to come in and save the day.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sad that Mad Hatter has turned into the cliched villain "Oh no i was obsessed with someone who died through my fault but I'll blame the hero!" revenge story.

If the plot ends with Hatter combining his dual obsessions with Alice and Gordon, and forcing Gordon to dress up as Alice, it'll all be worth it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

hatelull posted:

How would he have been privy to Kringle, their relationship, and what went down?

Via Penguin maybe? Also a matter of public record, since Riddler was sent to Arkham for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tarlibone posted:

I wonder if Ed is going to fall hard for Not The Kringle, then Penguin finds out about it (and it's not like Ed has any reason to keep it a secret), then Penguin kills Not The Kringle, then Ed finds out and swears vengeance. But he doesn't let Penguin know that he knows, because secret revenge.

Thus begins the Penguin-Riddler rivalry that... uhm... was such a big deal in the comics?

Maybe I'm wrong. But mark my words, Not The Kringle is dead meat.

maybe. comic wise, riddler considered himself above all the petty bullshit but he would work for them for money and such. also, i am kinda surprised it took this long to show penguin is gay but i like how they are treating it. it was either him being gay or him being Norman.

I am still mixed with the show. its alot better then it used to be, but it still spins is wheels way to much. i mean i get why, but as people have said, the biggest problem with the show is its a prequel and nothing will really happen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Things have been happening at a crazy rate. It's a "prequel" in the loosest sense of the word. The way things are working out, I can't even see Jim becoming Commissioner by the end of this. Most Batman stories usually dictate that Batman's appearance brings out the freaks and weirdos. Gotham seems to imply the other route, Batman will be a reaction to the freaks and weirdos.

It just now dawned on me that Bruce and Alfred weren't even in this episode.

hatelull posted:

Edward was in Arkham, a very public thing, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for Butch to have learned why. They were working together for a few episodes, after all.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I'm actually liking this show a lot more than I ever thought I would. Honestly I thought the first few episodes of the series were really cheesy, with too many villains hamfisted into the scenes, but I stuck with it anyway because I really liked Penguin's character and thought his performance was really good. It's still kind of cheesy and predictable, but it's also fun to watch. I like most of the characters and think they're doing pretty well in their roles.

Also, what does everyone think about Gordon's decision last night? I mean it's obvious he didn't want either of them to die, but do you think he told The Mad Hatter to kill Lee because he knew TMH was going to do the opposite? I kind of thought it was his way of secretly telling him to shoot Valerie instead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel dumb because I just now got the significance of Barnes' name.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Source Idiom posted:

If the plot ends with Hatter combining his dual obsessions with Alice and Gordon, and forcing Gordon to dress up as Alice, it'll all be worth it.

I like this. I really wish Gordon had just gone "Nope, gently caress you and your games. I didn't kill them, you did asshat". He started to do that, but obvious the story can't move on if he rejects the villains overly elaborate plans.

Though I'd think that Don Falcone would probably use the influence he has left to get the criminals in the city to not worth with Tetch.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
whoever changed the thread title

:love:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Acacia REI posted:

Also, what does everyone think about Gordon's decision last night? I mean it's obvious he didn't want either of them to die, but do you think he told The Mad Hatter to kill Lee because he knew TMH was going to do the opposite? I kind of thought it was his way of secretly telling him to shoot Valerie instead.

Just watched the episode, and I had the same thought --- that he picked Lee, knowing Hatter would shoot Valerie instead. The theory I posited to my bf was: if you know someone's getting shot, do you want it to be the journalist, or the trained doctor? Let the journalist get shot, so the doctor can help afterwards. Cold, pragmatic logic, but our boy Jim has seen some poo poo. I can see that being his motivation.

I also gotta give props to this show for making Mad Hatter a creepy as gently caress guy. From my experience of Batman comics, Mad Hatter was never really scary, he was a dwarf with hypno-hats and a Carroll fetish. This incarnation is actually spooky.

twistedmentat posted:

Though I'd think that Don Falcone would probably use the influence he has left to get the criminals in the city to not worth with Tetch.

This was my big nitpick with the ep; when Mario found out where his fiance was being held hostage, why wasn't he on the phone with dad asking "yo, I need an armada of Mafia, stat"?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Mario is the son of a major mob boss and doesn't check the gun? Tsk tsk.

As for Not The Kringle, I think it's Butch's power play. He's seen the same try to be done with Fish and the girl she trained to seduce Falcone. I could see him using similar tactics to gently caress with the Nygmoblepott pairing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Isabella is probably Clayface. Which will end up being awesome.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pan Dulce posted:

Mario is the son of a major mob boss and doesn't check the gun? Tsk tsk.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that, that and it's a cliche I really don't like in movies

Incidentally the people responsible for music on this show deserve props because as cheesy as it can be it works, I love the overly cheesy stuff that was behind Oswald and Ed. The creepy soundtrack for Tetch was good too. Season 3 Gotham just keep going full ahead on the comicbook-ness and I am enjoying this more than the CW shows now

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still think the behind the scenes reason they replaced Ivy is super skeevy and gross, but Gotham has been good this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This was my big nitpick with the ep; when Mario found out where his fiance was being held hostage, why wasn't he on the phone with dad asking "yo, I need an armada of Mafia, stat"?

I can believe he thought he could do it without using his Dad's connections, but the gun thing is just silly. I mean again I mentioned Tetch's hypnotism is basically infallible, but there is an actual difference in weight with a pistol that is or not loaded.

bring back old gbs posted:

I still think the behind the scenes reason they replaced Ivy is super skeevy and gross, but Gotham has been good this season.

What is the reason?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twistedmentat posted:

I can believe he thought he could do it without using his Dad's connections, but the gun thing is just silly. I mean again I mentioned Tetch's hypnotism is basically infallible, but there is an actual difference in weight with a pistol that is or not loaded.

What is the reason?

The child who plays Cat got hot, but Ivy didn't, so she fell into a hole and a girl with boobs crawled out:barf: Pretty sure I read an interview where the people in charge said it wasn't just so they could sex up the character, but then her 2nd "introduction" scene was some schlub doing a "gee golly look at this purdy distressed lady who fell into my lap!" thing. Maybe it's because the old actress wasn't good enough but I liked the original casting. I want more crazy plant lady and less uma thurman sexy mind control.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Personally I don't really care because original Ivy was barely a character. Although sexing the character up is pretty creepy seeing as she's just physically aged.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Personally I don't really care because original Ivy was barely a character. Although sexing the character up is pretty creepy seeing as she's just physically aged.

I want to say that they could so something really interesting about puberty, and the way that women suddenly find themselves being commodified and treated as sex objects, and what it's like going through that transition of being sexually appealing but not being psychologically ready for it and it having the potential to seriously gently caress a person up, but...

Well, I love Gotham, but it's not that type of show, for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dunno, Gotham's been really good about using its younger characters in interesting, non-exploitative ways. Bruce and Selina's relationship has been a real highlight. If any show could handle the themes associated with puberty and the sudden, jarring objectification that girls go through during that time, I think Gotham could pull it off.

That's not to say I think they will, of course...

• Locked thread