Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm not necessarily being down on the quality of the show's writing, per se, and more the amount of space and empathy they're willing to extend to a new player in an already large cast.

That said, they're more likely to treat her sympathetically than not -- the villains in the show's regular repertoire* tend to have at least a kernel of sympathetic motivation hidden away somewhere. Even Stabby Babs.

*with the exception of the various Big Bads, like Hatter, the Court, Hugo Strange and Galavan Mk 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

spooky like this! posted:

Personally I don't really care because original Ivy was barely a character. Although sexing the character up is pretty creepy seeing as she's just physically aged.

She's pretty much has a completely different personality at this point. so just pretend that this other bitch just ended up with old Ivy's memories and call it a day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also she's barely appeared so this might be a Montoya/Allen/Dent thing where they cast a person for the role and then never actually do anything with it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm just spitballing a dumb solution, but a potentially quick fix to this thing could have been Ivy being killed and reveal an older female relative Pamela Pepper/Isley wanting revenge against the city. (This Gotham, both the show and the city, so this is all possible):

If something happens where you'd kill off Ivy in some way (she was in dangerous environments and the actress is gone, anyway). her older half-sister/aunt/cousin, upon learning of her death, could sort of snapped and swoop in to become Poison Ivy.

Ivy got her interest in plants at such a young age from her Aunt Pam or Cousin Pam, and Pam's a Gotham State U. undergrad at the start of the season who has to identify Ivy.

Pamela starts to plot revenge against all the forces in the city she sees as part of cause of Ivy's death and eventually adopts the name Poison Ivy in tribute. She'd have lots of targets. She could blame the GCPD and Gordon because without them, her father would be alive, her mom would be alive and Ivy wouldn't have been homeless on the street and working with criminals. She could blame the crime gangs. Eventually the entire system becomes her target. Etc. A dangerous killer by night who finds way to kill people in plant-related ways while during the day she's popular and very promising college student who uses both sides of her life to make further progress in the other.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm just spitballing a dumb solution, but a potentially quick fix to this thing could have been Ivy being killed and reveal an older female relative Pamela Pepper/Isley wanting revenge against the city. (This Gotham, both the show and the city, so this is all possible):

If something happens where you'd kill off Ivy in some way (she was in dangerous environments and the actress is gone, anyway). her older half-sister/aunt/cousin, upon learning of her death, could sort of snapped and swoop in to become Poison Ivy.

Ivy got her interest in plants at such a young age from her Aunt Pam or Cousin Pam, and Pam's a Gotham State U. undergrad at the start of the season who has to identify Ivy.

Pamela starts to plot revenge against all the forces in the city she sees as part of cause of Ivy's death and eventually adopts the name Poison Ivy in tribute. She'd have lots of targets. She could blame the GCPD and Gordon because without them, her father would be alive, her mom would be alive and Ivy wouldn't have been homeless on the street and working with criminals. She could blame the crime gangs. Eventually the entire system becomes her target. Etc. A dangerous killer by night who finds way to kill people in plant-related ways while during the day she's popular and very promising college student who uses both sides of her life to make further progress in the other.

Hollywood guy:
Hey how bout instead of an interest in plants she got me interested with some implants heyooooo:pedo:

I'm sure the new actress will deliver, they've done good casting in this show. I thought Mad Hatter looked off at first but he won me over, and Penguin/Nygma is still inspired loving casting.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 31, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Well, these flashbacks are all sorts of wonderfully hosed up.

Edit: Head-Barb is amazing though.

Double edit: Poor Penguin. No Riddler to help him hatch his egg. :(

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 1, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat is Tetch annoying. He's fallen into the crappy writing hole of "we'll just make him rhyme every time he says something, that shows he's insane and clever!" that almost always follows Mad Hatter as most writers just have him as the Alice in Wonderland themed villain.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

God drat is Tetch annoying. He's fallen into the crappy writing hole of "we'll just make him rhyme every time he says something, that shows he's insane and clever!" that almost always follows Mad Hatter as most writers just have him as the Alice in Wonderland themed villain.

Yeah he sucks, but I'm biased because I've always disliked Mad Hatter.

Also I was really hoping for not Kringle to just be a hallucination, now I guess I can only hope for: Kringle's twin sister here for revenge on Nigma. The whole ok you killed her but that's OK cuz soulmates is pretty weird, though this is Gotham so maybe not that weird.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 2, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Yeah he sucks, but I'm biased because I've always disliked Mad Hatter.

Also I was really hoping for not Kringle to just be a hallucination, now I guess I can only hope for: Kringle's twin sister here for revenge on Nigma. The whole ok you killed her but that's OK cuz soulmates is pretty weird, though this is Gotham so maybe not that weird.

Yea, he is by far the worst Batman villain, well, that appears with any regularity. I'd rather they gone with the Royal Flush gang. As I said, its all because they don't know what to do outside of just make him the Alice in Wonderland character, and honestly, villains based on fairy tails and whimsical literature always bore me. It just comes across as lazy. It was also super common in the shovel them out who cares about the quality Golden and Silver Age comics that existed.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

As annoying as the Mad Hatter tends to be, I gotta admit they found a damned good guy to play a skeevy as gently caress Mad Hatter. And it just ain't the Mad Hatter if he isn't skeevy as all gently caress. Not familiar with the comics version, but the Batman: TAS version was definitely skeevy. I'm not sad to see the character gone at this point though. His gimmick kind of ran itself thin after a few episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How did nobody notice the big hole in the bathroom wall?

Also Penguin's outfit this week was pretty snazzy.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

They don't even try with him, most of the villains get fleshed out and changed over the years so they make more sense, where as Hatter just stays the same, hats, spirals, rhyming, pocket watches, rabbits etc we get it. I like how his big virus this season is just a rage version of scarecrow dust and his plan is basically a rage version of the movie batman begins.

also only 1 new post for the new episode drat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watch it on an antenna and for some reason my Fox feed can be really bad. So sometimes I have to catch it on Hulu the next day.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

muscles like this! posted:

How did nobody notice the big hole in the bathroom wall?

Also Penguin's outfit this week was pretty snazzy.

Yeah, aside from the fact that apparently no one at the party heard that fight, or the goddamn wall getting a man-sized hole busted in it... Jim, you just found a man who has obviously fallen from a great height onto a car. Maybe, idk, try looking up to see where he fell from, detective? That was pretty bad.

However, Penguin's outfit was indeed pretty good. I loved that coat with the green-gold sheen in the sunlight. Penguin's always rockin' some cool threads.

Any theories on this Isabella woman? My husband had the idea that she ties in with this face-transplanting plastic surgeon guy somehow, but we couldn't flesh (ha) out the theory beyond that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Any theories on this Isabella woman? My husband had the idea that she ties in with this face-transplanting plastic surgeon guy somehow, but we couldn't flesh (ha) out the theory beyond that.

I still say it's Clayface.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think there's a connection because Miss Kringle was stuffed in a box and buried in the woods, which would kind of ruin the chances of harvesting her face.

If the car accident killed her the most likely explanation is probably that she was just a woman who looked like her. If she survives I can see them going with it being Butch taking a play from Fish, who did pretty much the exact same thing in the first season.

For Penguin's outfit, the coat was cool but I really liked his tie.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I don't think there's a connection because Miss Kringle was stuffed in a box and buried in the woods, which would kind of ruin the chances of harvesting her face.

He led the cops to the grave, though. Surely they dug her up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She had been dead for a while though and decomposition would have set in.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yeah but it's Gotham.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
She'll turn out to be Isabellamon Grundy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

They don't even try with him, most of the villains get fleshed out and changed over the years so they make more sense, where as Hatter just stays the same, hats, spirals, rhyming, pocket watches, rabbits etc we get it. I like how his big virus this season is just a rage version of scarecrow dust and his plan is basically a rage version of the movie batman begins.

also only 1 new post for the new episode drat.

he is basically just a creepy sex pervert who has probaly kidnapped, raped and killed a ton of blond girls because he is some sort of weird retard who gets off to lewis carroll books.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Chiklis is great this season, he's clearly enjoying getting to be as mad as the rest of them. Wonder if they use mustard to make the scenery so chewable

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I hope fake-Kringle isn't dead. Seeing Penguin do spite-filled bitch face behind Edward's back is such a treat.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Phylodox posted:

I still say it's Clayface.

I mentioned that theory to my spouse when we were talking about it, and he said "but Clayface, for being an actor, was TERRIBLE at being fake Gordon. You think he could pull off being a sexy woman and clever enough to get Ed's riddles?"

As a woman who had an unhealthy addiction to All My Children in the 80's & 90's (thanks, mom), I'm going with "surprise twin sister/cousin, who's out for slow revenge" angle. Gotham does get pretty soap opera-y in its own way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, when Clayface was being Gordon he had just been raised from the dead, like, a day prior.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of outfits, goddamn is Lee's dress completely loving ridiculous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She dead.

Edit: Nathaniel Barnes' new hero identity, Mr. A.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 15, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, Mr A is DC? I always though he was like Charleston or something.

Okay, I 100% only care about the kids right now. Their mystery is way more interesting that boring Cop Drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a joke, because he was basically saying the same thing as Mr. A.

Edit: Also I looked it up and Steve Ditko straight up owns Mr. A. Also Steve Ditko is still alive apparently.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 15, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's something I'm wondering, is Gotham the most violent show on Network TV? People are regularly killed in pretty gruesome ways and there has also been quite a lot of gore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's something I'm wondering, is Gotham the most violent show on Network TV? People are regularly killed in pretty gruesome ways and there has also been quite a lot of gore.

Not even close. Not even on the same network. Scream Queens has more gruesome kills on fox. Off of Fox, Supernatural is worse than both of them by a pretty large margin.

All of that pales in comparison to Hannibal when it was on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
YEah Hannibal's the king, but Gotham is actually really good about doing creepy/violent deaths. I'm so used to network TV violence but every time I expect a punch to be pulled Gotham surprises me and makes it bit more brutal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Countdown to another Ms Kringle lookalike showing up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Call me crazy but maybe they should have used guns instead of trying to do a motorcycle drive by with swords.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

This episode is wonderfully hosed up. Especially BDSM Queen Barbara and the poor shop keeper. Well, actually he seemed to enjoy it at the time so I'm not sure he came out of that situation too badly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

choppa choppa

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh man. Poor Penguin is going to have so many people wanting to stomp on him once they all figure this out.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

What the gently caress is up with Falcone's kid.

And oh man. Bruce and Selena catburgling together should be amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He somehow got infected with Alice's blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

He somehow got infected with Alice's blood.

Seems like a possibility, but when the hell could that have possibly happened?

• Locked thread