Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bring back old gbs posted:

Penguin was on Billy on The Street's season premiere. Apparently the actor and Billy Eichner are childhood friends, they had some funny chemistry. What Batman villain would Eichner fit into?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlQNUPvfsI

Penguin looks weird as a blond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

Penguin was on Billy on The Street's season premiere. Apparently the actor and Billy Eichner are childhood friends, they had some funny chemistry. What Batman villain would Eichner fit into?

He actually reminds me a lot of 60s era Riddler.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

"I don't miss and I never stop"

*fails to kill Gordon for like the 3rd time*

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If he really wanted to kill Gordon he wouldn't have missed.

Zsasz gay, so what?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I particularly liked the "never see me coming" line and Gordon literally saw him coming at the first attempt.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK... did anyone else just love the over-the-top cornball amazingness of the family at home, watching Mayor Penguin's interview? In particular, the shot showing their reaction to Penguin saying "to hell with the people!"

I wonder what the script notes were.

"There is an all-American nuclear family typical of the white-bread, milquetoast, alternate-reality 1950s type. Keep the lights low so their whiteness doesn't cause the shot to be whited out. The father must have his hair done, be wearing a tie and a sweater, and he should be reading the newspaper. Smoking pipe is optional. The son should be dressed similarly to the father, but perhaps with a sweater vest instead of a full sweater, and a bow tie. Hair slicked down. Daughter and mother must be in skirts and blouses, and must show fear and shock at Penguin's words. The word "hell" is something they only whisper when reading it in the Bible, which they do every evening. This couple should make stereotypical Mormons roll their eyes."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Relevant

https://twitter.com/kikakuguys/status/821205167521480704

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
The actor playing the morgue guy was also one of Joker's lieutenants in the Dark Knight. And now he's playing a disciple/henchman of Proto-Joker again. What a strange and very specific thing to be typecast as.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It was really weird when Gordon dry fired his gun twice at Zsasz when he was down on the ground.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bbf2 posted:

The actor playing the morgue guy was also one of Joker's lieutenants in the Dark Knight. And now he's playing a disciple/henchman of Proto-Joker again. What a strange and very specific thing to be typecast as.

Yeah, that was kind of goofy.

Interesting to see that Clayface is apparently sticking around seeing as how over the top his power is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

Interesting to see that Clayface is apparently sticking around seeing as how over the top his power is.

Yeah, but he's also kind of an idiot, so...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

In the comics Clayface can change his DNA into another person's, so I don't think we're at over the top yet.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Ugh.

Did we really need to zoom in on the joker card? Was that... I mean, we get it. We've gotten it for the last year. Nobody is going to be like "OOOOOH, the JOKER! Man, that was some clever foreshadowing!" Even the dialog between the guards mentioned the joker. gently caress me.

It's getting hard to watch this show. The contempt the writers have for their audience is palpable. You can palp it.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
How is the winter finale happening next week?? The fall finale just loving happened a month or two ago. Who's in charge of scheduling they need to be fired.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blame 24:Legacy. It's premiering after the Superbowl and the remaining 7 episodes get the 8pm Monday slot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Why the hell can't this show just embrace the good things, like Gordon, Bulloch and Penguin rather then making it Batman lite.

It was a pleasant surprise when they killed off Jerome instead of trying to make him proto-Joker. Then they just said "Hey, people really liked Heath Ledger's Joker, how good of an impression can you do? Mediocre? Sounds great!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

6-year plan man posted:

How is the winter finale happening next week?? The fall finale just loving happened a month or two ago. Who's in charge of scheduling they need to be fired.

Yeah, Lucifer is getting screwed in the deal too. Neither show is coming back until loving May.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

It was a pleasant surprise when they killed off Jerome instead of trying to make him proto-Joker. Then they just said "Hey, people really liked Heath Ledger's Joker, how good of an impression can you do? Mediocre? Sounds great!"

I got the sense that the writers weren't too happy with bringing him back either -- he's resurrected by a cabal of pathetic fans, who spend all their time obsessing over that one promo clip he was in, lip syncing along like it's Rocky Horror. And then the Joker turns up and murders the poo poo out of his biggest fan.

Fox will never let them get away with it twice, but I'll laugh so hard if he dies again next week.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Jerome is hilarious.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This episode is… painstakingly ridiculous. Fantastic.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The "Previously on Gotham" conversation with Lee has been my favorite thing he's done.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

hatelull posted:

The "Previously on Gotham" conversation with Lee has been my favorite thing he's done.

I was dying during that. Lee just being completely deadpan and no-selling the absurdity of it all was beautiful.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like that they're going full-on crazy with this show. They're embracing the strange balance between police procedural and totally impossible comic book madness that, well, any pre-Batman Gotham City show has to be.

"Who killed Galavan?"
"Which time?"

That slayed me. Sleighed? Who cares.

(I had to go back and get rid of the T at the end of Galavan's name. Dammit, Galavant!)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

tarlibone posted:

(I had to go back and get rid of the T at the end of Galavan's name. Dammit, Galavant!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I rather liked young Bruce showing that he's got some skills now when Selina went at him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I like how they decided to adapt the story that utterly and forever ruined the Joker for me. Oh look he doesn't have a face isn't that scary! Plus the show's limited vision of the Joker is laughs at everything and kills people.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

twistedmentat posted:

So I like how they decided to adapt the story that utterly and forever ruined the Joker for me. Oh look he doesn't have a face isn't that scary! Plus the show's limited vision of the Joker is laughs at everything and kills people.

Not saying it's not lovely writing or an excuse to use the Joker without using the Joker, but the snow runners have always maintained that their version of the Joker for now is that it's never one person, but a psychological virus (or basically a meme) that organically spreads and infects.

And at least for the most part, they've built and stuck to the internal logic of that idea.

It's not that bad of an idea really. In a way it plays off the old "the Joker has no definitive origin" thing from The Killing Joke and used to great effect in The Dark Knight.

But ultimately, gently caress it. This is an Elseworlds Batman story. Who cares.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of have a hunch they're maybe going to work something about Jerome's face getting ripped off again and he gets 100% killed by an unknown who cuts their own face off and wears his around. It allows them to both keep using the actor AND have mysterious, origin-less Joker running around without a known background or identity. Defend it with sort of 'good artists copy, great artists steal' logic or something.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Rhyno posted:

I rather liked young Bruce showing that he's got some skills now when Selina went at him.

The actor playing Bruce remains the highlight of this show for me. I don't know how well he would do in other roles, but he can totally play a young, troubled billionaire who is starting to consider that maybe beating the poo poo out of some people would help the city. He's really very good. Or I guess maybe the rest of the actors are so bad that he just stands out. It's so hard for me to tell anymore. My baseline for quality has changed dramatically over the course of the show, and currently its hovering somewhere around "Please for the love of gently caress can somebody cast Jada Pinkett Smith in a movie so she doesn't show up again?"

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Did Edward tell Penguin that he was being held at a chemical plant? That makes me think that Jerome and possibly Bruce are going to end up there next episode.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Gawain The Blind posted:

The actor playing Bruce remains the highlight of this show for me. I don't know how well he would do in other roles, but he can totally play a young, troubled billionaire who is starting to consider that maybe beating the poo poo out of some people would help the city. He's really very good. Or I guess maybe the rest of the actors are so bad that he just stands out. It's so hard for me to tell anymore. My baseline for quality has changed dramatically over the course of the show, and currently its hovering somewhere around "Please for the love of gently caress can somebody cast Jada Pinkett Smith in a movie so she doesn't show up again?"

The actress playing Selena is not very good so he definitely stands out next to her. He's good in the role for sure. Dude is getting lanky too. My SO pointed out he seems to grow two inches every episode.

Jerome's actor is amazing and I don't care what they do as long as he sticks around.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Camren Bicondova's doing a pretty great job as Selina. She comes off as kind of over-the-top because that's her persona; she's always putting forward a tough face. But she's still just a kid, so it's a heightened, hyperbolic kind of tough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burning_Monk posted:

He's good in the role for sure. Dude is getting lanky too. My SO pointed out he seems to grow two inches every episode.

He's actually taller than McKenzie, now, so they have to have to have McKenzie stand on boxes for their scenes together. Mazouz turns 16 next month, so he's going to undergo a ridiculous growth spurt by the time they start filming the next season (if they get one).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's also on record that he wants to be Batman so I expect he'll start hitting the gym hardcore if he's serious.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rhyno posted:

He's also on record that he wants to be Batman so I expect he'll start hitting the gym hardcore if he's serious.

He's always posting clips of him doing Krav Maga at the gym on Instagram. I could see that happening soon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

He's also got the pendulum swing of Batmen headed his way so he shouldn't have to bulk up too much. Once we're done with Giant Baffleck, they'll probably move back toward a smaller one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just found out Paul Rubens was Pengiuns father in Batman Returns, so that's an crazy casting callback.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Aaaw yeah. We're getting some proto-Batman Bruce.

edit: Oh my god Penguin confessing that he truly, truly loves Nygma is heart-breaking.

double edit: Holy poo poo literally punching his face off. Thee make up was already pretty good with the cut off part visibly decaying, but it coming off as he got punched more and more was pretty gruesome too.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 31, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Detective Gordon sure slapped the grin right off of Jerome's face.

(Gordon's own facial expression was priceless.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Detective Gordon sure slapped the grin right off of Jerome's face.

(Gordon's own facial expression was priceless.)

They all had the most amazing shocked and disgusted looks on their face over it. This entire show is a wonderful trainwreck of hamminess. I died when I saw the Riddler question mark logo because it just makes me think "Got Ham?" instead of Gotham.

• Locked thread